Stonehenge in the USA

LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
edited February 26, 2007 in Landscapes
Mike Lane (who just moved from Washington State to the UK recently) posted a thread about visiting Stonehenge, failing to visit the one in his home state. :rolleyes Being accused of threadjacking, I decided to post a new thread about Stonehenge - Maryhill, WA :wink

It's a concrete version of what Stonehenge looked like complete, and doubles as a war memorial. It's in Maryhill, WA, which is located on the Columbia river bordering Oregon - wine country. The green patch amongst all the August brown in the background of the first image is one of the vineyards. I've been hesitant to post them since I don't care for all the brown (although in that area it's usually brown), but I'm trying to make the images work. I'll post more images in this thread as I get around to editing them.
CRW_0794.jpg

CRW_0802.jpg
LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Mike Lane (who just moved from Washington State to the UK recently) posted a thread about visiting Stonehenge, failing to visit the one in his home state. rolleyes1.gif Being accused of threadjacking, I decided to post a new thread about Stonehenge - Maryhill, WA mwink.gif

It's a concrete version of what Stonehenge looked like complete, and doubles as a war memorial. It's in Maryhill, WA, which is located on the Columbia river bordering Oregon - wine country. The green patch amongst all the August brown in the background of the first image is one of the vineyards. I've been hesitant to post them since I don't care for all the brown (although in that area it's usually brown), but I'm trying to make the images work. I'll post more images in this thread as I get around to editing them.

Well Lucky Bob these are very impressive, especially that first shot.
    You've lined that shot up just beautifully clap.gif ........ Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    No problem at all about the threadjack. Just trying to make sure that people know that I really am trying to set up a photo shoot.

But when I come back to WA, hopefully I can go see that stonehenge lol3.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Hmmmmm
    Somehow I like the "fallen down" version of Stonehenge better. I got to see it in England in 1985. Since then it appears they put up more fences. My mom's reaction when she saw where we were heading was something like, we've driven all this way to see a pile of rocks?

I was stunned that my Mom who reads a lot, had never heard of Stonehenge. She's made a few other comments the family will never let her live down!
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Well Lucky Bob these are very impressive, especially that first shot.
    You've lined that shot up just beautifully clap.gif ........ Skippy

Thanks Skippy - it was a shot I'd been planning to do for quite some time before going there, so I made sure I got it right :D

(Well, to be fair I shot it more than a few times with different lenses to see what worked best rolleyes1.gif)

Mike Lane wrote:
    But when I come back to WA, hopefully I can go see that stonehenge

We can do a shoot down there! How long are you in the UK anyway?

Dee wrote:
    Somehow I like the "fallen down" version of Stonehenge better.

So do I, but this one's empty, and only about $80 in gas away instead of plane tickets and hotels. My girlfriend made me hold all her metal stuff and scurried off to walk her circles, so I had plenty of time to play with my camrea - it worked out for both of us except my pockets were excessively full with lenses, filters, and all her junk rolleyes1.gif

Sadly, it's made of concrete so it doesn't have anywhere near the impact up close as true stone, but it does provide for some interesting textures to play around with. I'm hoping to go back there in spring again when there's slightly less brown, along with a trip to my own personal Mecca - Deschutes Brewery wings.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 24, 2007
    Very cool shots, Bob. Any idea how long that Stonehenge has been around? I remember camping out and windsurfing at Maryhill probably 25 years ago. I wonder if it was around back then. Gorgeous country out there.

Speaking of breweries, how do you like the Full Sail brewery? I'm sure you've been there. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Stonehenge in Washington State ? You had me scratching my head like mad eek7.gif, so I had to check the post itself. Those are pretty fine shots. Next time I'm over the pond and in Portland (which will be soon), I'll have to go up and see this for myself.

Dee, I finally pulled my finger out a few years ago (before I got serious about taking pics) and visited Stonehange and I have to say I was really underwhelmed. Its not as large/monumental and imposing as I thought it would be and as you said its fenced off so you cant really get close to it. Now that I can hold a camera and sort of point it in the right direction I need to make another truo.

Cheers

HarjTT

thumb.gif:D
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    I had no idea that there was a Stonehenge in my home state and so close to my hometown of Pasco, WA. My uncle lived for many years in Goldendale and I visited there many times but never made it to Maryhill. I was a youngster then though. Next time I go visit the relatives in WA I will make sure and go check it out. Funny how you move away from a place and then start to learn more and more interesting things about it.

Oh well I did get to spend alot of time in the San Juan Islands and that area is well worth the trip.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Very cool shots, Bob. Any idea how long that Stonehenge has been around? I remember camping out and windsurfing at Maryhill probably 25 years ago. I wonder if it was around back then. Gorgeous country out there.

Speaking of breweries, how do you like the Full Sail brewery? I'm sure you've been there. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

According to the stereotypical tourist shot of the plaque I shot (I'm allowed, aren't I? mwink.gif) it was dedicated May 30, 1929. And I totally agree about the gorgeous scenery - my parents took a side trip through the general area on their way to Portland and wound up house shopping the whole time in the gorge. Go figure.

Full Sail: beer - good to pretty good (especially their IPAs on tap, but my girlfriend doesn't like hops eek7.gif), food - pretty decent, view from the pub - AWESOME. Hood River is such an awesome town to boot - it's well worth the toll bridge to get across the river. Washington's got Oregon beat hands down on the driving side of things though. I-84 sucks compared to WA-14 :D
    bham wrote:
    [...]Oh well I did get to spend alot of time in the San Juan Islands and that area is well worth the trip.

For all you Washingtonians (or visitors), bham's touched on a great thing to do for a day; go ride the San Juan ferry runs - it's a sweet trip with many photographic opportunities, and Friday Harbor is kind of like a small version of Hood River, sans the breweries :D