Options

24-105 flare problem?

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited February 26, 2007 in Cameras
I just bought this lens, and I heard about flare problems from the first generation...I just went and shot some test shots and I got this:

IMG_0584.jpg

I know you can't shoot directly into the sun and expect nothing, but I'm wondering if this is a first generation one?

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    I hear if you boil them, they don't work right afterwards. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

thanks, just making sure.

and I don't get that....haha.
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    thanks, just making sure.

and I don't get that....haha.
    Just my smart-ass way of saying what Andy did! :D

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 25, 2007
    That is not a defect, it is a feature.

Use it in good healththumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Your lens is fine. You probably just burned out half the pixels in your sensor shooting into the sun.....

It kind of like rods and cones, you burn out one and you cant shoot in low light anymore.......

You weren't planning on shooting anywhere dark, like a museum or church, so you're probably fine.........
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Just my smart-ass way of saying what Andy did! :D

lol3.gif

oh, that is what I figured, just making sure it wasn't from a movie or something that I hadn't seen...:D

and I guess that true, pathfinder, that sometimes flare can add to the artistic value of a photograph....

- RE

thanks, guys, I feel better.
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 25, 2007
    You do need to pay attention with this lens out of doors, Ross. I ma not say ing you can't shoot the sun - I do it frequently - here are a few I can find quickly. One trick that helps is to use a smaller aperture
    72155213-M.jpg f4.5 - but not as bright sunlight

74125206-M.jpg f16

72239905-M.jpg f16

It is not always at its best, shooting into the sun. Sometimes you get flare like that, but sometimes the image just gets rather flat.

Always use the lens hood, or even better, shoot from a shaded area where no extraneous light hits the lens.

Bear in mind that all high zoom range lenses tend to have more flare also, even the fabled 70-200 f2.8 IS L
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Ross:

My memory may be failing me, but I seem to recall that the first issues of this lens had some problems with flare. My cam dealer informed me of this, adding that the first issue was recalled by Canon, repaired at no cost, and subsequent issues were much improved.

A bit of research on the serial number may help; my 24/105L has serial number 334,405. I bought it in Sept 06, and is one of the newer ones that doesn't have the flare problems of the originals. If your number is in this range, then you don't likely have a lens problem.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    Ross:

My memory may be failing me, but I seem to recall that the first issues of this lens had some problems with flare. My cam dealer informed me of this, adding that the first issue was recalled by Canon, repaired at no cost, and subsequent issues were much improved.

A bit of research on the serial number may help; my 24/105L has serial number 334,405. I bought it in Sept 06, and is one of the newer ones that doesn't have the flare problems of the originals. If your number is in this range, then you don't likely have a lens problem.
    That's what started this thread :D

see http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid=216&modelid=11924
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    ivar wrote:

Yes it surely is - that's why I suggested he check serial number.

It's the first place to start in order to determine if it's a first generation 24/105 or not.

Mine is not - if his SN number is similar, then he doesn't have a problem, other than perhaps technique.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900