Options

Questions for Mac people...

PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited February 26, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Okay, I'm in the market for my own Mac. Hubby says I'm "choking" our eMac with all the programs I run, and all the photos I have. So instead of hearing him complain, I want to get my own Mac. I unfortunately don't have the funds for a MacPro, but I was looking at the 24" iMac. Any thoughts?:dunno

I used to be able to ask my Dad about all this Mac stuff, but he is no longer with us (RIP)...so I'm relying on all of you helpful smuggers on dgrin.

:scratchSo, some questions I have are...

1.) 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz...please forgive me, What's the difference between the two (besides the extra .16GHz and the $250.00 increase in price)?
2.) Currently I'm running 1GB ram on my eMac, so would I be okay with that on the iMac, or should I go with 2GB for an extra $175.00? I know... THAT was a stupid question!!!!!
3.) Is there anything else I should get?

This is what I do...I use PS CS2, Adobe Bridge, AutoFX software...(which takes a lot of memory to run), I usually have a gazillion browser windows open at once. Thinking about installing Aperture or Lightroom (I'm actually attending an Apple Aperture seminar in Boston tomorrow...we'll see if they can convince me to use it instead of Lightroom (still confused about the two).

So, please, any help you can give me would be great!!!!
Thank you all in advance!!!!:thumb

Robyn
Robyn T. Lisone
MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    1. Not much. Save your money if money is a concern.

2. Yeah, stupid question, get the RAM. But look at 3rd party solutions, like crucial.com.

The iMac will do just fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    1. Not much. Save your money if money is a concern.

2. Yeah, stupid question, get the RAM. But look at 3rd party solutions, like crucial.com.

The iMac will do just fine.

Thanks David...that was quick!!!

So, another stupid question (to follow up my original stupid question)...do I add the 3 party ram in addition to the ram that comes with the iMac, or do I use it in place of the ram that comes with it?
    Forgive my ignorance, I used to just go with whatever my Dad recommended, so I would never really know why I got/installed the things I got, they just always seemed to work for me.

Okay, well, thanks again for the info...I really appreciate it!!!wings.gif

Robyn
    Robyn T. Lisone

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    If the iMac comes with an empty slot, then fill it with 3rd party, leaving the mac ram in there. Just make sure it matches exactly in specs and size.

If you have any doubt, just get it through Apple, and pay the premium for their RAM. It's a no-worries solution.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    You will just add your 3 party ram in addition to the ram that in the imac already and you will be good to go,

The iMac is a nice computer really fast and a beautiful screen
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    Thanks guys! I'll look into the possibilities!:ivar
    Robyn T. Lisone

• Options
    jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    id go with the slower cpu and add a extra gig of ram u wouldnt ever notice the diff in the cpu speed anyway
    jm photography
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Yeah!!!!
    I did it!!! I just ordered my new iMac!!! I went to the Apple store yesterday and saw it...then, fell in love!!! I HAD to rush delivery since I don't think I could wait any longer than I have to!!!!
    Thanks for all your help guys...I really appreciate it!

I ended up with the 2.16 processor, and the 2GB of ram, I went with a 500GB hard drive...I'm sure I'll need more eventually...but for now it's okay.
    I decided to get Aperture with it...got the Educational discount so it was pretty cheap. With any luck, I'll be cranking out the photos on this baby!!!

wings.gif
    Thanks again!!
    Robyn T. Lisone