• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2004
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2004
    Lynn, that's a wonderful shot of the horse. Nice job! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I've cropped this, can you do better?

I'm at work, can't play right now. Do you have more at the top of the pic? If so, I'd have the bottom start with where the railings come in at the sides, and extend the top enough to make the road the lower third of the shot. Rule of thirds, hard at work for you.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm at work, can't play right now. Do you have more at the top of the pic? If so, I'd have the bottom start with where the railings come in at the sides, and extend the top enough to make the road the lower third of the shot. Rule of thirds, hard at work for you.
    Right! watch this space for my new crop.. in the meantime here is my barn crop...
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm at work, can't play right now. Do you have more at the top of the pic? If so, I'd have the bottom start with where th e railings come in at the sides, and extend the top enough to make the road the lower third of the shot. Rule of thirds, hard at work for you.
    2nd crop... sorry you have to work Sid:cry
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    still is'nt right... 3rd crop...HELP!!
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    Last one I promise...
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    lies all lies...
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    lies all lies...

Have you been talking to my ex girlfriend?

ps: The photos look good, I especially like the barn.

I think sometimes you like a photo at first glance. Then over time the interest dies. Then there are those you keep returning to, you keep playing with them, and they grow on you. All with out benifit of alcohol. :D
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Last one I promise...

Lynn, this is a nice one. The pattern of the houses grabs your eye at the front right of the frame, and pulls it through to the left... nice pic.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    2nd crop... sorry you have to work Sid:cry

That's a good crop, Lynn. Sorta like this one of Patch (sorry if the levels are off, the new monitor has arrived and will be installed shortly!)

.1329323-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2004
    So why is cropping better than taking the original the way you want it to end up? Curious...that's all. I can see the merit with these digicams because it's so easy to take such a large pic etc. Any advice/comment?
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2004
    I often crop to increase subject size
    komet wrote:
    So why is cropping better than taking the original the way you want it to end up? Curious...that's all. I can see the merit with these digicams because it's so easy to take such a large pic etc. Any advice/comment?
    It is hard to get close enough to some birds to get the result I want, even with the max optical power I have, 6X. I don't want a big picture with a small bird in the middle, The bird is what I'm after. I don't think more lens power would be the solution, I usually don't set up for shots, take them as they come, and high X power requires well anchored cameras. I also shoot small cameras, a 2.5 MP and a 4.0MP, not that I would not like a bigger set up, but part of the challenge is in getting what I want from what I have, and on My retirement income likely what I will always have. All My recent posts have been from a 2.5 MP Olympus C2500L, which will do a fine job, but there is not much room for error. Bigger files are more forgiving.
    Cutting to the chase, I almost always crop, got to stretch those pixels!
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2004
    komet wrote:

The quick answer is that I'm not good enough when I shoot. I use cropping to save my bad shots.

The second, slighty harder answer is that sometimes my camera can't give me the image that cropping can. Sometimes it's because the shape of the sensor isn't ideally suited to the shot, and I have to trim off the extra sides or tops/bottoms; or I can't zoom in close enough.
    Sid.
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2004
    tsiya wrote:
    It is hard to get close enough to some birds to get the result I want, even with the max optical power I have, 6X. I don't want a big picture with a small bird in the middle, The bird is what I'm after. I don't think more lens power would be the solution, I usually don't set up for shots, take them as they come, and high X power requires well anchored cameras. I also shoot small cameras, a 2.5 MP and a 4.0MP, not that I would not like a bigger set up, but part of the challenge is in getting what I want from what I have, and on My retirement income likely what I will always have. All My recent posts have been from a 2.5 MP Olympus C2500L, which will do a fine job, but there is not much room for error. Bigger files are more forgiving.
    Cutting to the chase, I almost always crop, got to stretch those pixels!
    Thanks, you to Waxie!
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 24, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Have you been talking to my ex girlfriend?

ps: The photos look good, I especially like the barn.

I think sometimes you like a photo at first glance. Then over time the interest dies. Then there are those you keep returning to, you keep playing with them, and they grow on you. All with out benifit of alcohol. :D
    You talking about photos ............ or something else????????????Wicked.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin