Options

Hasselblad H3D-22 and H3D-39, 39MPix dSLR!

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
edited March 6, 2007 in Cameras
http://www.hasselblad.com/products/h-system/h3d.aspx
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093003hasselbladh3d.asp
http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/3073/hasselblad-develops-worlds-first-48mm-full-frame-dslr-camera-system.html&cid=1109865682&ei=zOMdRdbPK7uwaPfz_bcH
http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/digital_cameras/hasselblad_/

Awesome!
Superb!
Amazing!

Make no mistake, this is not just an improvement in previous technology. I believe that if Hasselblad did what they claim to have done, this camera marks a revolution and new benchmark in digital image gathering with the "Hasselblad Star Quality standard". It's more than just megapixels, it's a total and comprehensive rethinking of what makes quality in an image.

(... Or it could be more Marketing B.S. :D)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/photokina/H3-concerns.shtml

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Dear Santa:

deal.gif
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Well looks more like alot of marketing b.s.

Michael Reichmann has a good writeup on this
    new Hasselblad marketing strategy here:

Even Hasselblad dealers seem to be unhappy
    about what is happening there. The specs of
    he H3D are good but there is nothing groundbreaking
    in them if you see what the H3D is (not a DSLR) and
    what other brands have to offer with their medium
    format digital backs.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    I got to hold and shoot with it :D

Stay tuned for piccies when Ivar gets them done!
    The detail, resolution, it's quite amazing :uhoh
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    I can hear my computer groaning from the file sizeyelrotflmao.gif

Would be great to shoot with one of these.

Can't wait Andy to check out the photos

Fred
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Looks interesting in an academic way (let's face it, 99.9% of us will never even see one of these much less use one--that puts Andt in the 0.1% who get the privelege and makes the rest of use jealous).

However, at the very least IMHO the "full frame sensor" part is BS. From Hesselblad's site linked by ziggy: "Sensor dimensions: 36.7 x 49.0 mm" First of all "full frame" in MF is a moving target, are you talking about 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 or something more esoteric? Sticking with classic Hassy size, AFAIK thier FF is more like a true 56mm x 56mm (6x6)--which that sensor doesn't even come close. OK, now that that rant is done, it's a bigger sensor than we've seen before and I'll bet the images are as spectacular as the pricetag will be.

I'm betting the Hassy-only back compatibility will be a temporary stumbling block. Canon keeping thier EOS technical specs sure hasn't hurt Sigma, Tokina, or Tamron too much. I'm sure there will be reverse-engineered 3rd party backs eventually.

Reading Michael's article, he has some good points. Hassy's closed system is probably shooting themselves (and the rest of the MF manufacturers) in the foot to some extend. However, I'm not sure why the big deal over the DSLR designation. It sure is set up like one, if overgrown. Let's see, a body with prism on top, which views & meters through the main lens--and which must flip the mirror pu out of the way. Sure sounds like an SLR to me. In playing with my new-to-me Mamiya 645, it struck me how much like a typical 35mm SLR it handled with the prism finder and power grip. So IMHO, yep, that's an accurate designation.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Andy, Any samples yet? Would love to see!! mwink.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    RogersDA wrote:
    Andy, Any samples yet? Would love to see!! mwink.gif

nod.gif

Fred
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    [singing]
    To dream the impossible dream...
    [/singing]

At least for most of us...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
  • Options
    kkartkkart Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Well looks more like alot of marketing b.s.

Michael Reichmann has a good writeup on this
    new Hasselblad marketing strategy here:

Even Hasselblad dealers seem to be unhappy
    about what is happening there. The specs of
    he H3D are good but there is nothing groundbreaking
    in them if you see what the H3D is (not a DSLR) and
    what other brands have to offer with their medium
    format digital backs.

Of course it isn't a dslr, it's Medium Format! :)
    "Capturing Colorado, one click at a time"
    website | photoblog | facebook | twitter | deviantArt | RedBubble
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    ...and did you know: There's a model H3D-31 also (all your for only about 25 grand, too). Has 31 MP but what appears to be different is the max ISO of 800--vs. ISO 400 for the H3D 22 and 39 models.

And just in case some of you don't know what a Hasselblad looks like, I got to hold and play with one a little bit while at Keeble & Shuchat Photography in Palo Alto CA last week (I may not have money, but I still can DREAM:D )--it weighs over 4 pounds, which doesn't exactly make it a compact P&S!
    Steve-o
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Yeah, no kidding! You all might want to check out some of Tom Tworek's shots taken with a Hasselblad while he toured a bunch of canyon lands out West at www.goldcoastgalleries.com (he can also be reached at phototom@earthlink.net).

Oh, Andy, all the guys at Keeble and Shuchat thought you were that one famous singerrolleyes1.gif

Finally, Andy, here's a little present for you: that one fine bronze statue in Palo Alto (I think that Marta Thoma needs to "up her dosage"):

Andy wrote:

Steve-o
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    Forehead wrote:
    ...and did you know: There's a model H3D-31 also (all your for only about 25 grand, too). Has 31 MP but what appears to be different is the max ISO of 800--vs. ISO 400 for the H3D 22 and 39 models.

Hmmm....Hassy...Mustang...Hassy...Mustang.... choices, choices. :D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Hmmm....Hassy...Mustang...Hassy...Mustang.... choices, choices. :D

Now that really is a great way to think about it.

Jeez, keep some dry powder for the Canon IDS mkII replacement in the fall. Buy the car, maybe with an extra 5k miles. Then you can still be in studio photography heaven in the fall.

I know, I know, it would work better if you were trying to choose between a Ford GT and a Hassey.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    truth wrote:
    The first time I took a lok here I did not pay real close attention to the little things that make a huge impact on the pictures themselves.....

THAT HASSY IS SCREWED DIRECTLY TO THE TRIPOD HEAD.....not quick discionnects forthis guy.....no accidentally come disconnected from the tripod......extremely stable....

ANDY!!!!! wasn't that back in October that you promised us some piccies :D as soon as IVAR got them done ne_nau.gif ....or did I miss read that???? HUH HUH HUH rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Now that really is a great way to think about it.

Jeez, keep some dry powder for the Canon IDS mkII replacement in the fall. Buy the car, maybe with an extra 5k miles. Then you can still be in studio photography heaven in the fall.

I know, I know, it would work better if you were trying to choose between a Ford GT and a Hassey.

Not that ANY of them are in the budget any more.

The Mustang would be the easy choice--after renting the Shelby, even the wife is convinced (like, "gee, honey one in blue with white stripes and one in white with blue stripes would be nice" eek7.gifeek1ylsuper.giffeelgood:marlin excellent, my brainwashing is now complete mwink.gif). Heck even my MK III trial balloon got shot down last weekend--and that is the Canon I'm lusting after...mmmm 10fps, ISO6400.

Gotta figure out a way to rob a bank & not go to jail....

...oh, and I am watching used '05 prices, they are starting to go down a bit (now to find the low-mileage, base GT with 3.55 rear end...)