Options

I'm on a Roll

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited March 5, 2007 in Wildlife
Y'all seen my recent Hawky post ( well didn't ya :lol).
The next afternoon I thought I'd see how far that ankle jewlery will let me wander, so off to the Pond I went :D

While walking the trail wifey points right and freezes (good training :rofl) there sits
132846015-O.jpg

and
132849592-O.jpg

and then he was gone :cry. Oh well 1st time capture for me!
Took wifey home and gave her a proper reward :lust :D :bad
That's my story and I'm stickin to it :wink

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    ah now I get it you take the spotter thumb.gif so what hawk is this headscratch.gif you do not telll us ne_nau.gif I have a few not so good shots of your friend :cry very nice thank you Laura thumb.gifand by reward you do mean you left for work --rightrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 3, 2007
    Red Shouldered, right? Good captures. Sounds like you got lucky twice that day. mwink.gif

BTW, too bad you don't shoot Canon. I thought of you when I read this item from a Russian dude who posted it on a Canon forum:

The SPEED of the new 1DMark III is EXACTLY the same as the best and famous Russian submachine gun "AK-47" - 10f/sec=600/min, as AK-47 have: 600 bulets/min..
    and more: 30RAW files per session is the same as magazine chamber of "AK-47" - 30 bullets...
    ...and even more: calibre of AK-47 is 7.62 - close to pixel size of 1DMark III - 7.2 .. and this 7.62 calibre is the same as old russian rifle which was named as "trehlineinaya" what means iin English as "trilinear" as Mark III :)

So there you go. Definitely time for an old gunner to switch to Canon. :gun2

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Very, very nice! Crisp and clear. thumb.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    You are on a roll, excellent shooting. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Red Shouldered, right? Good captures. Sounds like you got lucky twice that day. mwink.gif

BTW, too bad you don't shoot Canon. I thought of you when I read this item from a Russian dude who posted it on a Canon forum:

The SPEED of the new 1DMark III is EXACTLY the same as the best and famous Russian submachine gun "AK-47" - 10f/sec=600/min, as AK-47 have: 600 bulets/min..
    and more: 30RAW files per session is the same as magazine chamber of "AK-47" - 30 bullets...
    ...and even more: calibre of AK-47 is 7.62 - close to pixel size of 1DMark III - 7.2 .. and this 7.62 calibre is the same as old russian rifle which was named as "trehlineinaya" what means iin English as "trilinear" as Mark III :)

Cheers,
    -joel

Then he would be kicking himself when the D3 gets released.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Nice shots, nicer and sharp.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    jwear wrote:
    ah now I get it you take the spotter thumb.gif so what hawk is this headscratch.gif you do not telll us ne_nau.gif I have a few not so good shots of your friend :cry very nice thank you Laura thumb.gifand by reward you do mean you left for work --rightrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I don't know rolleyes1.gif Just know I don't have any other images rolleyes1.gifheadscratch.gif
    I'll go look in a bit

You know me to well :wow rolleyes1.gif :lol
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    kdog wrote:

Cheers,
    -joel

Hmmm last time I had to deal with AK's .............well let's just say I'll stick with NIKON even more now !! :rambo

Red shoulder maybe, but I was thinkin sharp shin or broad wing ??
    Will chk later.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    Very, very nice! Crisp and clear. thumb.gif

Many thanks Maestro
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Very nice hawk shots Ben

Wonder if you can crop some:>))
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    bfjr wrote:
    I don't know rolleyes1.gif Just know I don't have any other images rolleyes1.gifheadscratch.gif
    I'll go look in a bit

You know me to well :wow rolleyes1.gif :lol
    ok just a hint --red shoulder :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Nice captures Ben, i like the purple color, it's my fav. thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Good work Ben!

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    good capturesthumb.gif

unfortunitly for me my wife only stops & points ..........at shoes when we're at Kohlsrolleyes1.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    You are on a roll, excellent shooting. clap.gif

Are you makin fun of my Belly again :poke rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Thats a Coopers Hawk.
    At least I am pretty sure. Here is a Redshoulder for comparison. Although this florida bird is the palest variety.
    Realy great images Ben. Blazing sharp.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    Gale wrote:
    Very nice hawk shots Ben

Wonder if you can crop some:>))

ne_nau.gif you mean more then I already did :D
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    At least I am pretty sure. Here is a Redshoulder for comparison. Although this florida bird is the palest variety.
    Realy great images Ben. Blazing sharp.

Nice capture Albert
    However this is a Ca RSH.
    Did some research this morn and it fits
    Here is a RTH
    82514415-L.jpg

and here's a Coopers
    124128297-L.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 5, 2007
    You know, on second thought, I think I think I'm going to change my vote from RSH to Coopers, like Albert says. I went back and studied my Sibley's guide some more. What you have in your last (excellent) shot appears to be a Juvie coopers, 1 year old or less. The adult coopers has a fully "barred" chest like yours. It turns out the RSH has an east coast and west coast variants. The west coast has a solid patch of orange on its chest. You can see it in Albert's shot, although it's kinda faint. Yours would look more like the east coast RSH. So I'm leaning towards Cooper's now. But I really have no idea what I'm talking about. :giggle

-joel
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    You know, on second thought, I think I think I'm going to change my vote from RSH to Coopers, like Albert says. I went back and studied my Sibley's guide some more. What you have in your last (excellent) shot appears to be a Juvie coopers, 1 year old or less. The adult coopers has a fully "barred" chest like yours. It turns out the RSH has an east coast and west coast variants. The west coast has a solid patch of orange on its chest. You can see it in Albert's shot, although it's kinda faint. Yours would look more like the east coast RSH. So I'm leaning towards Cooper's now. But I really have no idea what I'm talking about. :giggle

-joel

I with Joel on this one! :D It is either an adult Cooper's hawk, or an adult Sharp-shinned hawk. headscratch.gif And Ben's other Cooper's is a juvie. All nice shots! Particularly the ratcatcher!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member