Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Fantastic!
    I think it's great! was wondering if someone would do something like this... The black and white conversion could use some work, looks a little flat... If it were mine I would make the sequence seamless (no lines separating the pictures) just food for thought and personal preference... Any way I love it, you got my vote!clap.gif

Winston
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    I think it's great! was wondering if someone would do something like this... The black and white conversion could use some work, looks a little flat... If it were mine I would make the sequence seamless (no lines separating the pictures) just food for thought and personal preference... Any way I love it, you got my vote!clap.gif

Winston

Hey winston, thanks for commenting!
    this was my first "progression" shoot. It is harder than it looks to get the same pose, position, lighting, shadows on four separate occasions. The tough part is, whatever mistakes I made on the first one i had to keep repeating b/c there was no going back!

I do agree seamless would be better. I had originally hoped photographing them on a blank wall would make this easy, but cloning out the gradiation of lightfall from the left side of a frame to the right seems impossible. Should I try to make a selection of each "body" so I can delete the background? I'm afraid I've reached my own Photoshop limits on this one.

lots of lessons learned here, including using a dark background! rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Great concept! I wondered if you might enter a maternity shot....so appropriate! I think a black BG would have worked better, but like you said there's no going back at this point! Good luck! :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 3, 2007
    I don't think you need a trypitic of quattic or any version of multiple images. I think any one of the three implies change in and of itself, though none of the individual images are all that striking. They seem rather soft and boring. The framing seems rather casual (snapshotish), the lighting quite harsh and the conversions are really flat. If this had the same feel in each frame as your last challenge entry (#84) then you'd really have my attention. I know you're much better than this.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    I would do it this way… overlap each image about a quarter of an inch or so. The one on the far right should be on the bottom. Start from left to right… add a layer mask to the first image… in your tools pallet make sure white is the top color and black is the bottom then use your gradient tool to drag a gradient across the visible line in the image. You will see the hard line disappear… You will probably have to play with it a few times until you get the effect your looking for… Give it a try!

Happy PhotoShopping
    Winston

133287168-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I don't think you need a trypitic of quattic or any version of multiple images. I think any one of the three implies change in and of itself, though none of the individual images are all that striking. They seem rather soft and boring. The framing seems rather casual (snapshotish), the lighting quite harsh and the conversions are really flat. If this had the same feel in each frame as your last challenge entry (#84) then you'd really have my attention. I know you're much better than this.

Comparisons to 84 are irrelevant. Communicating a concept versus capturing a noun lend themselves to vastly different measurements of success.

The client's original intention was the quattric; it was always about documenting the change in her body.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Comparisons to 84 are irrelevant. Communicating a concept versus capturing a noun lend themselves to vastly different measurements of success.

but it was shot before the challenge began; the fourth installment of the progression was shot this week.

Not sure about that but we'll see. I also wonder if the quattric is eligable.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Not sure about that but we'll see.

Maybe since you don't like this entry as much, it has a better chance? rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Maybe since you don't like this entry as much, it has a better chance? rolleyes1.gif

That's probably the truth! :D
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    I think it's a good idea, but... not all of the photos were taken during the challenge period. I'm not the challenge police, I'm just saying.
    I could do something like this, a before and after I eat a big (really big) meal. :D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    davev wrote:
    I think it's a good idea, but... not all of the photos were taken during the challenge period. I'm not the challenge police, I'm just saying.
    I could do something like this, a before and after I eat a big (really big) meal. :D

i checked with the challenge Poleece before even considering entering it.
    Canon 5D MkI