Options

Photoshop

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited January 16, 2005 in Accessories
I am a little confused about Photoshop. I am just getting into modifying my photos, really just casually hacking around. What do I buy? Elements, CS, 7? Is there a free version like acrobat or do I have to buy something?

What comes with the Canon cameras? Is that good enough? What casual books (like the dummies series) can I buy to help me learn what to do?

Any newbie help would be apprecaited!

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Elements is going to be all the program you need to get very serious and may be all you ever need. It is a very powerful program for the price.

As far as books, there are many that would be of help, but I would start by readin all of the items here in the hall of wisom. Ask for help with ahy you dont understand. Check your local library for books and see what helps and what doesn't. Books are expensive to be buying books that do not help you.
  • Options
    Clind'oeilClind'oeil Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 16, 2005
    Canon cameras typically come with Adobe Photoshop Elements. I received Elements 2.0 with the purchase of my 20D during the summer.

Although I use CS, Elements is a fine program to start with. The latest version 3.0 is closing the gap between CS and elements by adding features from CS, such as the healing brush. One of the Photoshop Authors that you will see mentioned on this site quite regularily is Scott Kelby. He now has a version of his book Photoshop CS for Digital Photographers for Photoshop Elements 3.0.

Good luck with your choice of software,

Brad
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 16, 2005
    I just bought a Wacom Intuos tablet 6x8 inch to go with my MAC for Photoshop. It came with an offer from Adobe for Photoshop CS for only $299. That is $350 off the usual price from Adobe!! The offer is good through February 28, 2005.
    If you think you will be buying a Wacom graphic tablet, this is a heck of a deal.!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin