Options

Time for a wide angle lense

BrucekBrucek Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited March 30, 2007 in Cameras
Hi , I think I want to get a wide angle lense for some outdoor work and portraits of Archers .
I currently have a d70s, the 28-200 Sigma that came with it and a 135-400 sigma zoom .

I think I would like to get the sigma 18-70 in 2.8 .

What are you thoughts

Comments

• Options
    pulpmojopulpmojo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2007
    18-70mm range would be alright for portraits and for most outdoor shots on a cropped out camera like the D70 but if you really want the wide sweeping vistas I would go with something a bit wider so you can have something close to the equivalent of a 20mm on a full frame camera. Then again, a 12-24mm lens might not be the best thing to get for portraits, so yeah, probably a moderate wide angle like the 18-70 is the best way to go.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif w/ pulp.

Go with a realllly wide angle now. You have 28+ already.
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif w/ pulp.

Go with a realllly wide angle now. You have 28+ already.

17-something and 18-something is just considered the normal zoom range really, right? well, you definitely need one of those, and I have the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and I really like it. it's a great lens for many uses.

also, I just ordered the Sigma 10-20 f/4.5-something and I can't wait. it's a SUPER wide angle, even on a cropped sensor and it's not a fish eye, it's not that distorted.

not that the sigma 18-xx won't be a great lens, I just can't say anything about it because I have no experience, but I do know that the tamron is a great lens. also, look at Fred Miranda .com and aso photozone.de and see the reviews.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I would probably go for either a Sigma 10-20, Tokina 12-24, or the Nikon 12-24.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    While not truly wide angle on a crop sensor, I use the Sigma 17-70 for all my outdoor, walkaround, non-wildlife shooting. The Sigma 18-50 is real nice for the fixed 2.8, but I find the 17-70's 2.8-4.5 a very usable spread for outdoor shooting, plus I get an extra 20mm of reach, which I find comes in handy.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    BrucekBrucek Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2007
    Thankyou all for your input

I think I have made my mind up to look seriously at the 18-70 range

Bruce
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Brucek wrote:
    Thankyou all for your input

I think I have made my mind up to look seriously at the 18-70 range

Bruce
    Go W I D E young man!

I really love my Sigma 10-20. It is not constant apeture, but it is built like a tank, takes wonderful shots
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    let us know your decision when you decide!

and don't forget to always read plenty of reviews by professional people before buying any lens. look at lens sample pictures, everything you can to make sure that is the lens you want. some good review places:

www.fredmiranda.com
    www.photozone.de
    www.the-digital-picture.com (this is where I read all of my reviews first to see what this guy says, then I go the other.
    www.pbase.com (to find sample pictures, but take them all with a grain of salt, they could've been taken by some 70 year old with a SLR who had it on Tv 1second and the ISO at 3200, so be careful)

well, enjoy! I hope you find the right lens for you.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    While not really a "wide angle", I recently purchased the Tokina 10-17mm "fisheye" (in Canon mount), primarily for QTVR panoramas, and am very pleased with it. Moreover, if I need flat de-fished images beyond what CS2 will do, the US$15 PTLens does an outstanding job.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Just got the Tokina 12-24. Nice build, I'm about to take it outside and try it out. I'd considered the Sigma 10 - 20, but ever where I looked it was back ordered. Figured 2mm for constant aperture was a decent trade
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited March 30, 2007
    Just got the Tokina 12-24. Nice build, I'm about to take it outside and try it out. I'd considered the Sigma 10 - 20, but ever where I looked it was back ordered. Figured 2mm for constant aperture was a decent trade

My father has that lens in Nikon mount. I haven't tried it for myself, but he bought it from someone who is pretty knowledgable and recommended it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums