Options

New Camera: 30D or 400D

t-revt-rev Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited March 4, 2007 in Cameras
I recently sold my 350D and am now looking to upgrade to either the 400D or 30D. I thought I was going to go with the 30D as I like feel of it a little better, I have big hands so it seems to fit me better. I've been doing some research on both and now torn between which camera to go with. I want something that will last me a few years. I'm still learning a lot and have a long way to go with shooting good photos. My budget right now is about $1200. Should I go with the 30D and basic lens kit now or go for the 400D and a better lens? Most of my pics are landscape, people, architecture. Not a lot of sports photography right now, but something I'd like to get into.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,905 moderator
    edited March 2, 2007
    t-rev wrote:
    I recently sold my 350D and am now looking to upgrade to either the 400D or 30D. I thought I was going to go with the 30D as I like feel of it a little better, I have big hands so it seems to fit me better. I've been doing some research on both and now torn between which camera to go with. I want something that will last me a few years. I'm still learning a lot and have a long way to go with shooting good photos. My budget right now is about $1200. Should I go with the 30D and basic lens kit now or go for the 400D and a better lens? Most of my pics are landscape, people, architecture. Not a lot of sports photography right now, but something I'd like to get into.

The 30D is considerably better at sports, but (a) quality lens(es) will definitely yield much better results overall, and you will want both for sports.

I suggest you might want to wait until your budget matches your desires.

There isn't "that" much difference between the Canon 350D(XT) and the 400D(XTi), so why did you sell the 350?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    t-revt-rev Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Sold it because someone offered me a good price and at the time was going to go with the 30D. But then I did some reading on dpreview and there is a long thread regarding the 30D vs 400D. I'm still leaning towards the 30D with the standard lens and will look into a better lens in the near future.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    I just made the jump from an XT to the 30D because the features I wanted were in the 30D. The XTi is really not much different than the XT, so that was never a choice for me. You really need to look at what you want to do with your photography. For me, wildlife and fast action are my interest, so the improved high ISO and AF and 5fps of the 30D is what I need.

For a budget of a $1200, is that for just the body or body and lense? If it is for the body, I say go for the 30D or 20D. The 20D and 30D are not much different from what I hear. I found an insanely good deal on a lightly used 30D for $620. I know the guy I bought from, so that price is not for a beat up body either. Only 230 clicks! There are a lot of deals to be had. Now that the Mark III is out you will have 20D, 30D, Mark II and Mark IIN owners looking to upgrade.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    If I were you I would jump to the 30D. I recently purchased the XTi, and I love it. This is my first dSLR though. If I had the XT previously the XTi would not have had enough upgraded features to warrant upgrading, I would jump straight to the 30D.
  • Options
    the godfatherthe godfather Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I think your trying to keep to a $1200 budget for all your camera gear? If so IMO your camera should be worth 30-50% of your budget. There are so many other things you need to think about buying to make sure you have a good kit to use. If I were you I would try to buy another xt for around 375-400 and use the other $800 for...

One great lens like a used 17-55is.

A good kit of lenses like a 70-200 f4, a niffty 50, and a third party wide angle lens with the remaining 300.

One good lens like the 28-75 tamron and kit lens(for the 18-28 range). Spend the other 450 on a tripod, bag, cleaning stuff, books, etc.

If you have other good lenses then go for a 30d or whatever looks good to you...however, you need to have some good glass to go with all the great cameras you have listed.
    Lots of photo crap but no time to use it...
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I have the 30D and it's an amazing camera, you wouldn't regret it AT ALL! the features are more extensive than the 400...I'd go with the 30D - - - -actually, I did go with it...:D

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I have both and I'd recommend the 30D as it's image quality is better/has less noise, even at low ISO's.

The 30D should last you more than a few years of tough use. Only thing is that I'd recommend skipping the kit lens and getting something else as the 30D kit's weakest link is really the lens.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Be very aware of the extras you *need* to purchase, such as tripod, CF cards, cleaning supplies, bag, etc. If you max out on the body and lenses, you will have to expand your budget to get the rest. In truth, you are more likely to expand your budget than you will cheap out on the lenses, so I suggest you just expand that budget a touch and get all that you need.

Photography is not a cheap hobby. Good gear costs good money. There is truly no way around that.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    Be very aware of the extras you *need* to purchase, such as tripod, CF cards, cleaning supplies, bag, etc. If you max out on the body and lenses, you will have to expand your budget to get the rest. In truth, you are more likely to expand your budget than you will cheap out on the lenses, so I suggest you just expand that budget a touch and get all that you need.

Photography is not a cheap hobby. Good gear costs good money. There is truly no way around that.

one thing is VERY true about that statement - photography is anything but a cheap hobby. good lenses are upwards of a $1000 and you have to pay at least that much for a camera body and more if you want better, and then you have to buy seperate lenses for the different focal lengths and then more if you want macro settings, etc. but don't let this dismay you!!! one thing you don't have to spend $100-200 on right away is a tripod, that is unnecessary right away - save a bit. and technically you don't necessarily need some $200 camera bag. I've been a hobby photographer with my 30D for quite some time now, and I just bought a bag TODAY, the Domke F-802! look, I guess what I'm saying, is I'm been a photographer a while now, not as long as some of the amazing people on here!!!, but it's taken me a while before I all of sudden have $3000 in photo equipment! there's no need to start with that much! get the 30D, enjoy it, use the kit lens for a month or so, then upgrade to a higher quality normal zoom, like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. then get yourself a good zoom or Wide Angle, which ever you'd use more, such as the Sigma 10-20 or the Canon 70-200 f/4L. then, when you get to where the only thing you can think of is photography and what to buy next (guilty, here! haha, not quite, but getting there) you can start buying amazing glass like the 24-105 f/4 IS L and the 24-70 f/2.8 L and some really neat lenses that serve no other purpose except to please and make neat photographs.

there's no need to jump right in and get photoshop cs3 on the first day, use photoshop elements or even better - use GIMP and get used to it and see if spending $700 on software is really worth it to you.

okay - I'm ending this epic bu saying this - TAKE BABY STEPS! don't rush, take your time.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    My intent is not to scare you off or put you in bankruptcy. Ross is dead on clarifying my post. I just want you to know that there are a number of "little things" that add up to a few bucks and you just can't avoid having them, so don't budget all your money for the body and lens(es) and have none left over. You'll be surprised how easy a couple of CF cards, an extra battery, a good UV filter and a cheap bag can add up to $200+. I got that shock because I didn't plan out my first purchases. I budgeted to the wire for my first XT and Sigma 17-70 and still had to go about $300 over budget for CF card, battery, etc.

You definitely do not need the best of the best right away. Wait until you are really bitten by the bug and commit to this as a hobby and/or profession to drop the big bucks. That's where the "don't skimp" advice kicks in from me. When you want the best quality in whatever you buy (bodies, lenses, tripods, etc.) you will have to pay for it. You'll pay a little less used, but you'll still pay.

A great example (if I do say so myself mwink.gif ) is my purchase of a Canon 100-400L. I really wanted to photograph birds and needed some reach. I hemmed and hawed between a new Sigma 50-500 (there were no used ones floating at the time) and a used Canon 100-400L. For me, the L glass was worth the stretch in budget ($999 versis $1400), so I committed. I got lucky and picked up a gently used copy for $1100. Figuring in tax savings, I did real well. I still paid a premium for the L glass and to this day when I post about selling it, just about everyone talks me out of it because it is a quality lens and unless I can afford a better lens, I am sacrificing quality.

Strongly consider buying used. Resisting the urge to be the first person to cut the tape on a box can save you a lot of money and still get you good gear. I bought my 30D body used (saved $500), my tripod used (saved $200), my ballhead used (saved $150) and my 100-400L used (saved $300). I didn't get screwed on a single purchase and all of that gear was well taken care of. Buy from people here and you'll get a fair shake.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    used 20D
    My tip is to look for a good used 20d and spend the rest of your money on lenses.

The images from a 20d will be the same quality as from a 30d and the frame rates per second are the same.

Think about the features of a 30D over the 20D-do you really need spot metering? Can you live with a slightly smaller LCD? Do you want to sacrifice lens quality for some of the 30D features?

Spend the rest of your money on prime lenses or maybe a 'L' zoom,start collecting lenses as you go and think about an upgrade to your camera later on-maybe a 40D or whatever is next.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.