WTB: dependable CF card reader

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited March 6, 2007 in The Kitchen Sink
I need a dependable CF card reader to connect to the Archos 504 in order to store photos while on vacation. I would actually like one that doesn't have a long cord, but rather one that just has the USB connection - does that make sense? but I need it to be a good one, and hopefully under $50!

thanks for your time! just PM me if you have one you're willing to part with...

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    You should be able to buy one new for pretty cheap.
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    You should be able to buy one new for pretty cheap.

I looked on B&H and they had VERY few in the USB 2.0 format, which is what I need...do you have any brands or specific ones you could recommend?

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Sandisk has an 8-1 and 12-1 that I've found to be quite reliable. I think I spent ~$20 on my 12-1.
    edited March 4, 2007
    Well, here is onet hat I currently own. it is the one I keep in my camera bag for emergency transfers to someone computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Media-Multi-Card-Reader-RW017-001/dp/B00007058Y
    B00007058Y.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I like this one because it has the little tiny short silver cord that comes out of the case that you use to plug it in. Unfortunatley I don't believe it is USB 2.0, but for me this is my backup reader for emergencies in the field, so it isn't a biggie. If it was my every day reader it would probably be too slow. They may have an updated version of this though. Mine has worked reliably now for 3 or 4 years.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I purchased a STRATITEC (USB) at SAms Club about 3 yrs ago it was under $15..it comes with a long cord (approx 3') and a sHort cable (under a foot)...it has been extremely reliable...and the Sams club stiil had them when I was in there aboput 3 months ago.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 4, 2007
    Here is an option available from crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CTR2ADPU2

ctr2adpu2.gif

It supports CF and Microdrive, and has the USB plug on it, so you wouldn't have to carry a cord with you. I'm finding that pretty much all the newer readers are either SD only, or require yout o carry a cable with you. This may be one of the only options.
    edited March 4, 2007
    I finally found another one!

20-199-102-06.jpg

It's a multi card reader available at newegg.com for only $11. Check it out!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820199102

20-199-102-02.jpg

If I didn't already have one I would try this out. It is suppsoed to be USB 2.0 aloso.
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    wow! thank y'all so much! I'll be researching all of these options to see which is the best deal! I really appreciate it!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Here is an option available from crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CTR2ADPU2

ctr2adpu2.gif

It supports CF and Microdrive, and has the USB plug on it, so you wouldn't have to carry a cord with you. I'm finding that pretty much all the newer readers are either SD only, or require yout o carry a cable with you. This may be one of the only options.
    I have this one and it works like a charm - small, light, easy to pack, no problems ever. Got it from Newegg back in August. Can't seem to find it listed there anymore.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Ross...these things are so plentyful that all you need to do is drop by your nearest BEST BUY, Office Max, Office Depot or Comp USA and check them out there .....unless your ordering other stuff with it, I would not pay shipping on a reader alone as that will up the price beyond what it should cost you locally...

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 5, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Ross...these things are so plentyful that all you need to do is drop by your nearest BEST BUY, Office Max, Office Depot or Comp USA and check them out there .....unless your ordering other stuff with it, I would not pay shipping on a reader alone as that will up the price beyond what it should cost you locally...

Good luck

I would normally agree with this, however, most of the readers that I have found the store carries are ones that require you to carry along a USB cord. I prefer one like the one above that has the USB connector built into the device, so I only have one thing to have to remember.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    New Egg has 117 usb 2.0 CF readers. Many of them don't require a cable.

Here's the one I'm currently using and am quite happy with, it I think meets your needs statement very well. Sadly it's currently listed as out of stock. The best part of it's design is that the usb connector is sticking out of a plastic end that is small enough to not get in the way. The cap that covers it when it's in your bag (look at image 2 in the collection) is good and snug and protects the USB connection. The only down side to it, is the lack of a cover over the CF slot. If you're worried about stuff getting into it, this can be a problem... I am not really worried about that, so it's pretty minor.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Ross,
    Go to Newegg, read the reviews. There's a little a difference in the chipsets that manufacturers use for USB 2.0 and some are not as fast as others. The folks who write about their experiences will tell you if it has the features you need. I use a small card reader with a small, portable 5GB drive in the field also and the combo I use works really swell.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com