Options

2 New Olympus SLRs

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited March 9, 2007 in Cameras
Well, it is an exciting day for Olympus users. They announced two new 10mp DSLR's. The E-410 and the E-510. The E-410 is basically the worldwide version of the E-400 (though I think it has a new image processor and live preview). The E-510 is the replacement of the E-500. Both have Olympus' proven dust-reduction system.
I am an E-500 user so, the E-510 is an interesting exciting new development for me!
Changes from E-500 to E-510:
-Slightly larger newly designed body
-LCD live preview
-10 mp sensor (E-500 has an 8mp sensor)
-Sensor-shift image stabilization
-New image processor (supposed to handle noise much better)
-Very affordable price point for a camera with these options on top of the oooodles of options the E-500 had - $799 for the body. Yahoo! Go Olympus!:barb

For more info:
http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Don't forget the new lenses that are announced:

updated 50-200 f2.8-f3.5 (with focus motor)
    new 12-60 f2.8-f4 (with focus motor)
    new 14-35 f2 (with focus motor)
    new 70-300 f4-5.6
    new 2x teleconverter

and the successor for the E-1 that should be released later this year. It seems that Olympus is maturing, adding things that were really missing compared to other brands. As an Olympus user, I think might be an exciting (albeit expensive) year. :)
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited March 5, 2007
    marlof wrote:
    Don't forget the new lenses that are announced:

new 14-35 f2 (with focus motor)...

That lens alone is pretty impressive. thumb.gif (Equivalent FOV to a 28-70mm full-frame 35mm lens, and f2 ...)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    If the 14-35 will arrive, it should be impressive. But it has been on the roadmap for quite some time and has been delayed as well. So who knows when it'll come?
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    marlof wrote:
    If the 14-35 will arrive, it should be impressive. But it has been on the roadmap for quite some time and has been delayed as well. So who knows when it'll come?
    According to this roadmap, it unfortunately looks like the 14-35 will not arrive till 2008:
    http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/products/lens/pdf/zuiko_lens_eng.pdf
    It also looks like they will be adding a wide angle zoom that is in the standard range in 2008. I am excited about that - may be in a pricerange I can afford.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    10 mp and live view. Wow I like that! clap.gif

I am anxious to see the new 'flagship' for Olympus and how it compares to the other guys. really want to see more fps and less noise at high ISO.

I wish the new super wide zoom was scheduled to release this year. I don't know if I can wait till 2008- might have to go ahead and get the 7-14 Super High Grade. It is costly but 114 degrees viewing angle is super impressive!!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    Some new pictures of the E-1 replacement have been released by Olympus this afternoon:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07030507olympusp1pictures.asp
    Looks pretty sweet!
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    Yep, that E-1 replacement is what I'm saving my pennies for.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    What do you think the E-1 replacement is going to cost? What lens do you think is going to be the "kit" lens for it?
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    What do you think the E-1 replacement is going to cost? What lens do you think is going to be the "kit" lens for it?

1) I don't know. I just know I'd really like to have the same ergonomics and weather proofing as in my E-1. If not, the E510 would be a nice candidate.
    2) I'm not so sure it'll be a kit. In this range, it could be primarily sold body only. But if it goes like with the E-1 and the 14-54, the 12-60 might be a good kit lens. I think the 14-35 f2 will be too expensive (and unavailable) to be considered a kit lens.
  • Options
    Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Hi Guys, hope you're all doing well. Nice to see that Oly is serious about this. When I made the jump from film to digital I did my shopping very carefully and the E500 was the obvious choice over the competition for several reasons. Because I print a lot of 8x10 and 11x14" prints the 4/3 format just made a whole lot of sense, giving almost full use of my available resolution without the need to throw away a significant number of pixels off the ends of the frame. Add to that the great image quality and superb Zuiko glass and I figure I got a winner.

I am fortunate to have a good relationship with the local Henry's store and they let me have one of each of the competition for a weekend. I bought the Oly. Recently they phoned me and said that head office wanted any leftover E1's off the shelf to make room for the new models and "would I be interested in a deal on an E1?"

As usual, they let me have it for a weekend and it turned out to be a beautiful weekend. The camera sold itself!!! I took a 3mp drop in resolution to buy that E1 and I'm sooooo not sorry wings.gif. This thing is superb and even better than the 500. I don't think I'll be looking at any new bodies anytime soon but I want that 50-200 F2.8mwink.gifmwink.gifmwink.gif

See ya latter guys, be cool
    Bob
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    toddquinntoddquinn Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2007
    I have the 50-200 2.8 and it's a fantastic lens. I'm impressed with the sharpness and clarity. It can be a bit unwieldly when in full zoom, but it's cheaper than the 90-250 internal zoom. I often use it with my extension tube for some great macro shots and my FL-50 flash for some great long rang flash shots.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2007
    I realize I have made a lot of comments on this thread, but I wanted to say this: Olympus does not receive enough credit for how innovative they are. They pioneered dust-removal technology and live preview in dslrs. Not only that - they put those features on sub $1000 cameras. No one else does that. I find it amazing at the sheer plethora of amazing features they are going to offer on the new E410 and E510 at the price they are. At a price of $899 and $999 for the two lens kits, C'Mon Olympus-phobes you've got to admit - that's awesome.
    clap.gif
  • Options
    toddquinntoddquinn Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2007
    I realize I have made a lot of comments on this thread, but I wanted to say this: Olympus does not receive enough credit for how innovative they are. They pioneered dust-removal technology and live preview in dslrs. Not only that - they put those features on sub $1000 cameras. No one else does that. I find it amazing at the sheer plethora of amazing features they are going to offer on the new E410 and E510 at the price they are. At a price of $899 and $999 for the two lens kits, C'Mon Olympus-phobes you've got to admit - that's awesome.
    clap.gif

My sentiments exactly. One of the reasons I decided to go with Olympus over Nikon or Canon in the DSLR arena was the price/performance/feature mark. Olympus seemed to give you a lot for your money. Being a techie, I was also very interested in the ground-up approach they took to designing the whole E-series around the Four-Thirds technology they also helped develop. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything bad about Canon, Fuji or Nikon. But they would have made more sense to me if I had a hefty investment in glass for those mounts. Since I was starting from scratch, I thought I would take a chance on something new to the industry. I haven't been disappointed yet and I'm looking forward adding one of the new bodies later this year!