A Kansas Weekend

JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
edited March 7, 2007 in Journeys
A couple of years back my grandmother and dad moved to Haven, Kansas, and I haven't seen them until now. I was only there a weekend, but I feel like I got a few interesting shots. If anyone would care to offer critique, it is more than welcome. :):

1. Here is the little jet in which we flew to Wichita's huge, 12-gate airport.

134128365-L.jpg

2. Entering Haven, which is about 45 minutes outside of Wichita. The downtown area is very impressive.

134128251-L.jpg

3. More downtown Haven. It was pretty small and sleepy as you can probably guess, but it was pleasant and quaint.

134128340-L.jpg

4. I imagine the Haven Foodliner gets more business than the fire station, which is run mostly by volunteer EMT's.

134025285-L.jpg

5. On a drive around the area, we saw quite a lot of these grain elevators.

134024874-L.jpg

6. On Saturday, my dad drove us to the old Wichita train station, which is mostly being used as office space.

134025031-L.jpg

7. A few years ago, when the station was still operating, a derailed train took out most of these awnings.

134025048-L.jpg

8. There was a small train museum there.

134024896-L.jpg

9. Inside the station, much of the original stonework, architecture, and decoration remained, such as this clock.

134024938-L.jpg

10. Wichita also had some beautiful churches. Unfortunately, this was the only one I could get a nice shot of from the car window.

134025079-L.jpg

11. Later on, my uncle drove us to see some buffalo owned by one of his family members.

134025192-L.jpg

12. On Monday, it was time for me to come home. So we drove to Hutchinson and bought this car and drove back to Orlando. :D

134025320-L.jpg
Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Hey JenW,
    I am seeing all your captions but no piccies....Hmmmm could it be the spirit of the "Air Capital" is seeking revenge for that remark of the HUGE 12 gate airport?? Hmmm Can't imagine any wanting to move to Haven..there is nothing there... well a few miles away is the Amish town of Yoder,,,,seriously want to see photos maybe I can get some inspiration on how to deal with my own state.....:D

"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Oops, I had the external links turned off for some reason. Can you see them now? Thanks for pointing that out, Art. :):
    Jen

edited March 6, 2007
    these must be huge files as the train station awing is the only one so far that I can see....are you linking to originals or super originals:D...just kidding...I am on dsl and so should pretty much just be popping up. I'll check back in while....gonna shut down 'puter to clear everyting and to install my anti-virus updates.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 6, 2007
    Hrrm...that's strange. I just checked on a different computer (the DH's) and they're showing up OK. headscratch.gif
    Jen

• Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Ah, home.

Hope you enjoyed your stay, Jen.
    edited March 6, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    Hrrm...that's strange. I just checked on a different computer (the DH's) and they're showing up OK. headscratch.gif

Good here also.....I go sometimes as much as 2 or 3 weeks and never close out my FF so the cache gets all bottled up at times and I had remembered i had several AVAST downloads that had not installed yet....

All is good now.....I could not figure it out as your galleries all loaded fine...

edited March 6, 2007
    Hi, Red. I did enjoy it. It was relaxing. :):

Art, glad you're able to see the pics now. clap.gif
    Jen

• quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Must love the small towns! That airport is huge by the way - you at least got a real jet not a tiny turbo-prop. We have a few plane routes in Idaho where the plane lands to pick up more people about half-way between departure and destination. :D
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 7, 2007
    Never been to Wichita but the train station sure looks worthy of a visit.

Thanks for sharing!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?