Options

WTB: a good monopod

gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
edited March 7, 2007 in The Kitchen Sink
i'll be using this primarily for my nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR, shooting sports mainly. i may pick up a Bigma or something like it one day down the road, maybe in the next year or two, depending on my needs.

i'd like it to collapse so it's short and will fit easily on my camera backpack (i have a large packpack). my mode of transportation is motorcycle so this is key.

I really know nothing about ball heads, besides what people recommend for tripods. i do know they are expen$ive.

i'd like to spend less than $125 on both the head and the monopod, otherwise i'll keep shooting handheld :D

Comments

• Options
    theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Cheap Monopod
    gpphotos wrote:
    i'd like it to collapse so it's short and will fit easily on my camera backpack (i have a large packpack). my mode of transportation is motorcycle so this is key.:D
    Call me a cheapskate, but I use a SunPak PlatinumPlus monopod, $25 on sale. It has a ball head, collapses to 16.5 inches, weighs 14.4 ounces. I’ve been able to toss it in my backpack or the storage compartment on my li’l scooter and not worry about breaking or losing it because of the price. It’s been back-and-forth to Seattle in my luggage countless times. I used it to take this photo out of my hotel room window one night.
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I just bought....
    a Dynatran carbon fiber monopod. Well above my expectations.
    Model ATM-CF902 (with head).
    You can get these on ebay for under $50
    www.amvona.com

Michael
    www.MLKimages.com

theNOIZ wrote:
    Call me a cheapskate, but I use a SunPak PlatinumPlus monopod, $25 on sale. It has a ball head, collapses to 16.5 inches, weighs 14.4 ounces. I’ve been able to toss it in my backpack or the storage compartment on my li’l scooter and not worry about breaking or losing it because of the price. It’s been back-and-forth to Seattle in my luggage countless times. I used it to take this photo out of my hotel room window one night.
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    gpphotos wrote:
    i'll be using this primarily for my nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR, shooting sports mainly. i may pick up a Bigma or something like it one day down the road, maybe in the next year or two, depending on my needs.

i'd like it to collapse so it's short and will fit easily on my camera backpack (i have a large packpack). my mode of transportation is motorcycle so this is key.

I really know nothing about ball heads, besides what people recommend for tripods. i do know they are expen$ive.

i'd like to spend less than $125 on both the head and the monopod, otherwise i'll keep shooting handheld :D

No need for a head of any type on your monopod. Especially if you're using a long lens. I shoot sports (races) with the 70-200/2.8 vr with this monopod connected straight to the lens. None of the other photogs I see at the races have a head on their tripod either.

I'm a backpack on a motorcycle shooter too. The carbon fiber is nice because it lightens the load a little but you don't need it. They make one that folds up smaller too, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $30.

cheers,
    Trish
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    I don't use a ballhead with my mono either. I picked up a Giottos MM9750 and I am very happy with it. It's got a nice dual-screw attachment that allows camera-direct or tripod collar mount without needing to change anything. The larger screw just slides down over the smaller one.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen