Options

City of the Euro

jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited March 7, 2007 in Journeys
Hi there, I am relatively new here to Smugmug, so I thought I'd introduce myself to these forums with some photos of my home town, Frankfurt, Germany. One of the European Union's financial capitals, and home of the Euro, Frankfurt is a city of 650,000 and around 5million in it's metropolitan area (called the Rhein/Main, named after the two main rivers of the region).

My main gallery can be found at www.jochambers.com if you wish to see more pictures.

Frankfurt from the roof of the Zeil Gallery, sort of a shopping mall on the main retail street.

126437217-L.jpg

Storm clouds over the city. This was taken from my apartment in the southern part of town.

122292594-L.jpg

Skyline from the river Main (Pronounced Mine). Frankfurt isn't the only city in Europe to have skyscrapers, but it probably is the most famous. Usually European cities have their highrise towers outside of the historical center, but Frankfurt is one of the few that has them close to the center of town.

124503321-L.jpg

Frankfurt was one of the venue's for last year's world cup matches and this photo was taken during this period. On this night, many of the skyscrapers in the city were turned into giant film screens. I've created a separate gallery for this event here: http://jcp.smugmug.com/gallery/2407177

126167190-L.jpg

Although Frankfurt doesn't have any great central city urban parks, it does have the city forest only 10minutes drive from downtown. This is one of the largest urban forests in the world. A separate gallery on Frankfurt's parks can be found here: http://jcp.smugmug.com/gallery/2376308

126183262-L.jpg

Technically not "Frankfurt", but only 20minutes away is the suburb of Bad Homburg. For those non German speakers, the "Bad" refers to the natural Spa's found in the area. A separate gallery can also be found here: http://jcp.smugmug.com/gallery/2358827

123523688-L.jpg

123525493-L.jpg

Many thanks for spending the time looking at these pictures.
cheers, Jo'

Comments

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Welcome to Dgrin and congratulations on a very nice series of shots, this is an excellent forum and well worth hanging around.

Charlie
  • Options
    methdmethd Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    thank for sharing those pics, i stopped through frankfurt once, but never got to wander around and explore.
  • Options
    Deano955Deano955 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    great looking photos of Frankfurt...
    Baldy owns my free time
    smugmug coupon 1qoLJk8tfsGWM
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 19, 2007
    The last picture is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    SnarcherSnarcher Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    do you have any tutor style wood frame building pictures?
  • Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Thanks for sharing those photos of a lovely city. I liked the skyscrapers as tvs. And that last shot is especially nice.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Goodness, some very nice photos, Jo'.

I especially like these two.

Lovely moment, and the spray is fantastic.

123525493-S.jpg

Gorgeous sky color. Did you mask, or just a long exposure?

126437217-S.jpg

Thanks for the tour of your city. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Thanks to you all for your wonderful replys!

@Snarcher, not yet in my Frankfurt Galleries, I still have a lot of photos to upload. But there are a couple of Half Timbered Houses (The German name for the Tudor style buildings) in my Rüdesheim Gallery: http://jcp.smugmug.com/gallery/2403093
    Rüdesheim is a small wine village on the Rhein about an hour from Frankfurt.

@wxwax. The sundown shot was a long exposure of 8seconds at f9 at 22mm on my Canon 20D (10-22mm lens). Shot in RAW. No masking, although I removed in photoshop many of the advertising signs so I can sell it as Royalty Free if needed.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Hi Jo, welcome and thanks for sharing these lovely photos of Frankfurt! I loved Germany, and was sorry that we didn't have much time to spend in Frankfurt when we were there. It was just before the week of the WM so there were so many soccar (foot) balls everywhere, but still quiet enough. :D

I hope to be there again before the end of the year!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 19, 2007
    Welcome Jo and thanks for sharing Frankfurt with us. I've had the pleasure of visiting twice (as well as other cities in Germany) and enjoyed it very much.
  • Options
    pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Jo, Frankrurt from the inside
    Looks great, I have been there many times on Business but never viewed it quite like this. Wonderful pics and great people.clap.gif
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com