Options

Another greeting from Thailand

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited March 9, 2007 in Journeys
On one of our rest days from climbing we checked out 'the lookout' and 'the lagoon' both of which are accessable via a very steep scramble for about 10mins to the lookout then a steep scramble down the middle of limestone outcrop to a very tranquil lagoon.
The steep hike up
133270185-L.jpg

The view from the lookout
133270278-L.jpg

on our way down to see the lagoon
133270477-L.jpg

and a very peaceful lagoon, unfortunately unless you were up for getting extremely dirty you couldn't really explore because the edges of the lagoon comprised of incredibly soft mud/clay
133270863-M.jpg

Another local
133276908-M.jpg

On another rest day we did the full tourist round trip, elephant rides, snake show, visit the hot springs and crystal pools finishing up with the tiger cave and temple of 1200 steps.

133277306-L.jpg

This is a 4.5metre young King Cobra, I say young because they grow to 7meters
133282295-M.jpg

Soaking up the natural hot springs
133283177-M.jpg

Another natural spring, just not heated this time. Still incredibly clear and full of little fish
133284072-M.jpg

Construction underway on a new shrine.
133284949-M.jpg

Working our way up the 1200 steps, sometimes so steep it felt more like a ladder.
133285099-M.jpg

Finally at the top
133285685-M.jpg

133285294-M.jpg

This is the cave underneath which is where alot of the monks spend there time in prayer
133288281-M.jpg

and finally not that you can see it but the peak in the middle is where the steps lead up to. Basically we slept very well that night!
133288644-M.jpg

I'll leave it there and post more soon, cheers for looking and feel free to visit the full gallery or leave a comment :thumb
http://mushy.smugmug.com/gallery/2538409#P-1-15
May I take your picture?

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Whoa, that is cool, as is the lagoon piccie.

133270185-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    who needs a spa?
    [

Soaking up the natural hot springs
    133283177-M.jpg

When you have natural hot springs, after all that hiking and climbing this looks great.

Thanks for the journey, how were the bugs?

wings.gif
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Awesome Mushy! I clicked your thread from the forums list without knowing who it was by, and when I saw the first pic I went "I'VE BEEN THERE!" :D That lagoon is amazing! Heck, everything there is amazing!

How were the crowds? When me and Prezwoodz were there we had the lagoon to ourselves, and sometimes the whole Railay beach too.

Have you been there before? I plan on going back someday.

Oh, and I KNOW you went climbing. Get any good pics of that?
    Edit: Oops, just found the other thread. Carry on.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Awesome Mushy! I clicked your thread from the forums list without knowing who it was by, and when I saw the first pic I went "I'VE BEEN THERE!" :D That lagoon is amazing! Heck, everything there is amazing!

How were the crowds? When me and Prezwoodz were there we had the lagoon to ourselves, and sometimes the whole Railay beach too.

Have you been there before? I plan on going back someday.

Oh, and I KNOW you went climbing. Get any good pics of that?

Cheers Pete, the bugs were okay I guess, plenty of ants running around but not too many bitey ones. Plenty of mossies though and each evening they were a right pain in the butt whether you had repellent or not!

Hey ColdClimb, was waiting for you to pick up on what was going on :D
    Since it was close to the end of the official season the crowds were almost more non climbers to climbers. So it was a case of get up early if you wanted to climb on Tonsai or just take your time and walk to a new area.
    I was there in 2003 and have been hanging to get back as I left a few climbs unfinished so I needed some closure. There are a few decent climbing shots and I'll put them in my next post. I'd also go soon if I were you there is iminent plans for a big swiss resort at Tonsai which will push out most of the small bars and some of the bungalows too. It'll also push the prices way up :cry and generally wreck the whole laid back feel of the area in my opinion.

Cheers for looking and commenting thumb.gif
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Memories.....like the corners of my mind....

AWESOME! This is a great Post. I remember those steps in Krabi as well. Beatiful place and thanks for bringing my favorite place on earth into pictures for me!