Lowepro Toploader question?

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited March 11, 2007 in Accessories
I'm looking at getting a smaller pak for those quick trips. I've been looking at the LowePro TopLoader 65AW. My only worry is that I won't be able to fit my camera with the battery grip into it. I tried out a couple of generic toploaders at Best Buy, and none of them would fit the battery grip. It would have been fine with just the camera. Has anyone tried this pack out, and does it fit a Pro SLR? (or regular SLR with battery grip)

Also, what type of smaller packs are you guys using? I'm looking to be able to fit the following:

XTi with Battery Grip & zoom attatched (18-55, or 24-105)
1 extra smaller prime (50/1.8)
several memory cards
extra battery or two
*possibly a flash, like the 430EX

The flash isn't necessary, I want something small enough that I don't feel like I'm carrying a large camera bag with me. (I'm getting the LowePro 300AW for that! :D )

Thanks!

Comments

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Being a bagaholic, I have many. Still fewer than the # of purses my wife has, however.

Currently I travel with the the mid-size Tenba backpack, but use the Tamrac Pro 5 as my walk around bag. I can have the 20-700 f/2.8 IS w/1.4x tele both on my 5D and still close the flap. The style is such the lens points down, so I pull the whole straight up & out. I also carry the 24-70 f/2.8 in it, plus hoods on both lenses. I can also carry my 100 f/2 and a flash, but take them out if I don't think I'll need them.

If I didn't have those jumbo hoods, I could carry more lenses where the flash goes.

The strap fits well both on my shoulder or across my chest. Given the weight of that stuff you would think it would dig into your shoulder, but it doesn't. Very comfortable. I actually bought the LowePro Stealth Reporter to replace the Elite AW I had used forever (Couldn't use it with the 70-200 attached), but it just hurt when loaded.:cry
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I'm looking at getting a smaller pak for those quick trips. I've been looking at the LowePro TopLoader 65AW. My only worry is that I won't be able to fit my camera with the battery grip into it. I tried out a couple of generic toploaders at Best Buy, and none of them would fit the battery grip. It would have been fine with just the camera. Has anyone tried this pack out, and does it fit a Pro SLR? (or regular SLR with battery grip)

None of the Top Loaders will do this ...I own the largest (Top Load 75AW), I can fit my 75 with 70-210 2.8 but It will not fit same camera with a grip.
    It has room for a slightly larger slr but again no grip....actually I am going to Best Buy tomorrw to actually see how it fits the 5D, as this may be my next dslr as I just do not like anything about the sony alpha....sony really screwed up with that camera but that would be another thread...
    I can also carry my 5600HS flash in the main compartment of the 75AW.

My 300 AW slingshot will be here Monday, so I can see how it will fit larger cameras also...

Also, what type of smaller packs are you guys using? I'm looking to be able to fit the following:

XTi with Battery Grip & zoom attatched (18-55, or 24-105)
    1 extra smaller prime (50/1.8)
    several memory cards
    extra battery or two
    *possibly a flash, like the 430EX

The flash isn't necessary, I want something small enough that I don't feel like I'm carrying a large camera bag with me. (I'm getting the LowePro 300AW for that! :D )

Thanks!

I will be sure to get to Best Buy tomorrw and see if the 5D is gonna fit in it, since I will be there I will see if I can get them to put a Battery grip on the XTi and see if it will fit.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    That would be great if you could see if the XTi+Grip fits in the 75AW. I just want a smaller bag that is easy to get the camera from for those small walks and such.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Well Best Buy was extremely busy so I only got to try out the Canon 5D with battery grip and canon 70-300 lens and it fit nicely into my 75AW and I believe there is enuff room for a flash (shoe mount of course) and other small accessories along side of the lens, which will protected by the movable pocketed dividers.

I was wrong, when I stated above, that none of the toploaders would no hold a camera with battery grip attached.

So you XTi with grip will definitely fit with room for other stuff...for some really good prices on LowePro bags and such..check out Sell N Send on Ebay...they are located in Colorado and have been easy to deal with......most items are listed with buy now and includes shipping in the price, so it is stated as "free" shipping.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    I know you're looking at the AW line for Lowepro... But I found a Lowepro Off Trail 2 Camera Beltpack that you may want to consider. I have a D100 with the battery grip and an 80-200 AFS fitting snugly in this unit. It can take a shoulder strap or be used as a waist belt. I also carry 2 other lenses, a TC and a SlipLock case with a spare battery/CF cards... and still have more room. You can customize this to your hearts desire, with some limits.
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    I have the Lowepro AW65:

I don't have a battery grip on my 30D but:

1. I leave the tripod quick release plate on (10 mm = 3/8"),

2. In one of the inside pockets I store a 500D closeup lens that is 25 mm thick (one inch).

3. In the other inside pocket I store a CPL case that is 17 mm thick ( 11/16").

So in addition to the 30D, there is 10 mm + 25 mm + 17 mm = 52 mm = 2 inches.

The battery grip isn't that thick is it?

I normally store my 24/105L with hood ON in the case too.

I store an extra CF card, the manual, and lens cleaning paper in the lid pocket.

The battery charger, a spare battery, plus a Canon Angle View Finder fits in the front exterior pocket.

There will be no room for the flash and an extra lens.

I use a Lowepro "1" clip on case for my 17/55 (bigger than your flash). They also make a "1W" and a "1N", these being larger and smaller in diameter than the "1".

Lowepro also makes a "D-Res 10AW" that clips on the other side (I have two for my Xtender and Tubes) - I pretty sure the 430X will fit in one of these.

Of course every time you add a clip on accessory bag, the cost goes up; the upside is that they can be removed if the piece of gear in the clip-on isn't going out with you.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900