Options

battery charger question for "idiots"

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited January 17, 2005 in Accessories
I got my prize code from Amazon, for the Challenge, so I can buy a AA battery charger.

The fastest they seem to have is a Sony that charges in 15 minutes. It is 32.00. And includes (4) 2500 batteries.

My stupid question for the day is: does it matter if I get extra batteries in a different brand?

ginger:scratch
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Different brand not really. Different type yes. Some chargers are for NiMh only some are for alkaline only (there were rechargeable alkalines at one point) and I don't know if the have lithium ones out yet. However it goes make sure your battery type is compatible with the charger type.

Oh and for example a 2500 (whatever letters follow) is going to last longer than say a 1500. However the 1500 should charge faster as there is less to the battery.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    mAH ratings
    Oh and for example a 2500 (whatever letters follow) is going to last longer than say a 1500. However the 1500 should charge faster as there is less to the battery.

Ever notice that you can easily find the mAH (milliampere-hour) rating for lithium ion and nickle metal hydride batteries, but just try to find it for alkaline Duracell and Energizer batteries. Makes you wonder just ho w much better these batteries truly are.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Ever notice that you can easily find the mAH (milliampere-hour) rating for lithium ion and nickle metal hydride batteries, but just try to find it for alkaline Duracell and Energizer batteries. Makes you wonder just ho w much better these batteries truly are.
    Doesn't matter... buy the cheapest in the local 'Dollar Store' and recharge with the charger set for NiMH. I have recharged alkalines 50 to 100 times and then when they are seemingly toast put them in TV remotes, wall clocks, etc. Mind you I do use NiMH for cameras when appropriate, but my dslrs and dcams have not used off-the-shelf batteries since I sold my Oly D1400L back in 2000.

Note: if fast charging AA alkies, check the tempurature. For AAAs it does not seems to matter.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I got my prize code from Amazon, for the Challenge, so I can buy a AA battery charger.

The fastest they seem to have is a Sony that charges in 15 minutes. It is 32.00. And includes (4) 2500 batteries.

My stupid question for the day is: does it matter if I get extra batteries in a different brand?

gingerheadscratch.gif

what do you use the batteries for?

and, just a thought: you have two prize certificates.... that could be $80 off of a 20d?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Flash dedicated to Rebel, can I use with the 20D?
    I use the batteries for my flash, family get togethers and church baptisms. I planned to get the battery charger since Thanksgiving, but my son said to wait til after Christmas, I did, no one gave me the charger, so .......

On the camera, I planned on getting it at B&H if possible, or where ever the price is most attractive. That is a big purchase. I really trust B&H, I had a problem with my Rebel I bought there, everything was taken care of with no problems.

Thanks for the thought, I buy a lot at Amazon. Other than the battery situation which was a nightmare Sunday when my husband had lost all the batteries, I am just kind of killing time until I can get the 20D. I don't want to buy something I might not need.

Do you happen to know if that flash, dedicated to the Rebel will also work with the 20D. Surely, I don't buy a whole new flash?

That is a question.

ginger (I haven't done anything, yet.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

Do you happen to know if that flash, dedicated to the Rebel will also work with the 20D. Surely, I don't buy a whole new flash?

the 550ex, if that's what you have? will work with the 20d. so will the 420ex, and the brand new, 580ex.
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    according to the things I have read, when you use the batt use them as a matched set IE: two 1800 or 2 1600 like that. The reason is the life of the smaller cap batt will be shortened as it will be over discharged.