Options

Yes, Waxy - the 24-105L is that good.

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 12, 2007 in Cameras
wxwax wrote:
Who needs a tripod with the magical 24-105?

It's quite true.

Walking through the Bellagio today in Vegas, I'd wanted to get the gorgeous shells on the ceiling of the lobby - yeah it's a cliche shot in Vegas, but they are just so cool!

135059767-L.jpg

So I'm not one to measurebate... but this lens gets asked about quite often here on Dgrin.

Here's a 100% crop from a different shot,
1/10th second, handheld, ISO 1600:
135057293-O.jpg

And here's a 100% crop from the linked shot,
1/2 second, tripod, ISO 100:
135057297-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    I too love this lens! I just recently added this to my growing collection! and in large part to your review that you posted on the "reviews you can use!"

so...that means you owe me 1000 bucks, Andy! :D

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    This was the first lens I bought when I bought my camera. The salesman at Calumet suggested it......I really knew little about it at the time...am I ever greatful to him!!!! For once a salesman who knew what he was recommending. I use it so much I hate to not bring it with me even if I'm not planning on using it. :D
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Thanks a lot Andy, my wishlist just grew by another grand.11doh.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 11, 2007
    Proof that Dale Chihuly makes glass as nice as Canon thumb.gif

I knew that lens rocked the moment I picked mine up.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    FLIPA.gif

35 1.4, 1/13th handheld

135142958-L.jpg

:poke

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    24-105mm L . . . That's f/4.0 right? That certainly sounds like a great zoom range. It could be the lens for "walking around". If only it were f/2.8. I'm addicted (probably naively) to wider apertures.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    24-105mm L . . . That's f/4.0 right? That certainly sounds like a great zoom range. It could be the lens for "walking around". If only it were f/2.8. I'm addicted (probably naively) to wider apertures.
    I'm a big fan of fast glass. But this lens is just so darn useful, and good deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    That's what I said. Then I got one. It really is a perfect walking around lens.

Mount it to a 5D, with its low-noise high-ISO performance, and you're in good shape.

ISO 1250 at the car show this weekend. That's Patch29. I think he just sat on something.

135135846-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Nimai wrote:

If it were f/2.8 I'd have to mortgage the house to get one!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    If it were f/2.8 I'd have to mortgage the house to get one!!!!
    lol3.gif And lift weights to carry it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Nice pics Andy. Sounds like a nice lens. Unfortunately, the 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 have already gotten a hold of my wallet and they won't let go! Interestingly, today I was shooting some catalog shots with the 24-70 at f/8 and near the end needed to switch to the 70-200 (and that's on a 1.3 crop camera)... sounds like the 24-105 would have been perfect in that situation. Not sure if I could give up the 24-70 though... that's another sweet lens.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 12, 2007
    Those shells are actually flowers by Dale Chihuly.

fax_bellagio.gif

Steve Wynn started talking to me about the ceiling at the Bellagio long before construction even began. He wanted me to make a “spectacular” piece in the lobby of the hotel that would rival the aquarium at the Mirage, and generate more interest. Back in Seattle, we built the entire seventy-by-thirty-foot ceiling, full-scale, at my studio. The commission, as contracted, called for a whole new armature type and about a thousand new “flowers.” Steve visited several times, loved it, and wanted even more glass. Finally FIORI DI COMO was installed with over two thousand handblown glass elements. It’s the glory of Las Vegas.
    — Chihuly

And yes, the lens IS that good. thumb.gif

wxwax...you're blowing the highlights in the upper right corner. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    truth wrote:

They actually look like colored jellyfish to me.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    The do, especially at that angle. There's a wickedly good PBS in HD special on his Venice installations that's really worth seeking out. Amazing guy. The hall in which we are being married in May has a large Chihuly installation in it. Just at the edge of the frame in this pic...

106769213-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    wxwax...you're blowing the highlights in the upper right corner. rolleyes1.gif
    Um, check the bottom center of Andy's piccie. 11doh.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    106769213-Th.jpg
    Super shot.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Super shot.
    Thanks.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with Andy's image, the lens is infallible. It must be your monitor. :D
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I know, I just looked at the gallery, you make really nice architectural images. nod.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Um, check the bottom center of Andy's piccie. 11doh.gif

I think that's where one of the jellyfish died. (They really do look more like jellyfish, Andy!) Besides, a little white is needed in artwork as in photography! :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    They actually look like colored jellyfish to me.

The jellies are in Monterey at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

10258010-M.jpg

and

896573-M.jpg
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Andy,

Which Canon body was the 24-105L attached to take the Shells in the Belliago?

Reason is....those pics were not just the result of great glass...it is a combonation of glass and body.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Andy,

Which Canon body was the 24-105L attached to take the Shells in the Belliago?

Reason is....those pics were not just the result of great glass...it is a combonation of glass and body.
    Canon 5D.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 12, 2007
    If it was a 24-105 f2.8, it would then weigh more than the 24-70 f2.8. Not a good thing to carry around all day.

I used to own a 28-105 f2.8 Tammie - very large, heavy, not nearly as nice as the f4 24-105 IS L.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Mount it to a 5D, with its low-noise high-ISO performance, and you're in good shape.
    Adding to wish-list. Along with 1D MIII for ultra-ISO performance! (And, when I add things to my wish-list - that's exactly what it is... a wish!)
    dogwood wrote:
    Unfortunately, the 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 have already gotten a hold of my wallet and they won't let go!
    That's my jam, too. Man - the beggin' I had to do with my wife to get that 70-200 f/2.8 IS. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Canon 5D.

Thanx.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    I love those jelly fish shots!!! If that is a hi-jack, I enjoyed it, smile. Maybe I will finally join our aquarium here in Charleston.

I have been prowling this thread just curious as to what lens (Canon or other) that he, you, Andy, were talking about.

Now I know and saw some nice jelly fish shots!!! Nice ceiling, Andy.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    IS on this lens will allow you take some hand-held shots you normally shouldn't without a tripod:

133614409-M.jpg

That was at 0.25s before sunrise around 5:00 AM. The Vignetting is not from the lens ;)

Here's another at the same shutter speed:

133614430-M.jpg
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Nimai wrote:

f2.8? That one's called the 24-70 L. :Ddeal.gif It's every bit as good as the 24-105, just faster...and a slightly narrower focal range.

Love the shots.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    f2.8? That one's called the 24-70 L. :Ddeal.gif It's every bit as good as the 24-105, just faster...and a slightly narrower focal range.
    Yes, yes - the 24-70. I've got that one, and use it quite a bit! Adding some extra reach and IS is intriguing, though. Or maybe I just like torturing myself with the idea that I need more, more!
    Muahahaa!
    :lol4

Nice examples of IS shots, Poindexter!
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    Yes, yes - the 24-70. I've got that one, and use it quite a bit! Adding some extra reach and IS is intriguing, though.

Extra reach, smaller and lighter.

The 24-70 is an outstanding lens. So too is the 24-105. They're just different.
    Sid.