>>> Last Photographer Standing (Discussion)

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Lynie wrote:
    If we don't make it through the first round, we can go again in the second right?

There are 5 qualifying rounds per semifinal. And there are 4 semifinals. So you have a total of 20 chances a year :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 11, 2007
    There are 5 qualifying rounds per semifinal. And there are 4 semifinals. So you have a total of 20 chances a year :D

Hmmm...ok. So, if we qualify but then lose in a semi-final can we re-enter in the next qualifying round and try again?
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Hmmm...ok. So, if we qualify but then lose in a semi-final can we re-enter in the next qualifying round and try again?

I read the rules again, and from my understanding once you are the winner in a semi-final, then you can't enter any of the otehr qualifiers for that semi-final. You may enter wualifiers for the next semi-final. You may enter up to the 4 semi-final rounds (assuming you won a qualifier for each) However, even if you win more than 1 semi-final you may still only enter 1 image into the Grand-Finale

From the rules:
    You can qualify as a finalist once per semifinal round and up to 4 times per Grand Finale (year), however, you can only enter 1 photo in the Grand Finale.
    edited March 11, 2007
    truth wrote:

Sure thing. Qualifying rounds are open to all.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited March 11, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I read the rules again, and from my understanding once you are the winner in a semi-final, then you can't enter any of the otehr qualifiers for that semi-final. You may enter wualifiers for the next semi-final. You may enter up to the 4 semi-final rounds (assuming you won a qualifier for each) However, even if you win more than 1 semi-final you may still only enter 1 image into the Grand-Finale

From the rules:
    You can enter any qualifying round. If you are a finalist of a qualifying round, then you are eligible to join the semifinal. The semifinal happens after 5 qualifying rounds take place. So the semifinal is the end of that cycle. When it starts up again, you will have 5 more chances at qualifying for the next semifinal.

When you get to the Grand Finale, no matter how many times you have been a semifinal finalist, you only get to submit one photo for the Grand Finale.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    You can enter any qualifying round. If you are a finalist of a qualifying round, then you are eligible to join the semifinal. The semifinal happens after 5 qualifying rounds take place. So the semifinal is the end of that cycle. When it starts up again, you will have 5 more chances at qualifying for the next semifinal.

When you get to the Grand Finale, no matter how many times you have been a semifinal finalist, you only get to submit one photo for the Grand Finale.

So you can enter more than one image in a semi-final round? If say I qualified in Qualifer 1 & 2 for Semi-final 1, then I would have two of the 50 spots available in the first Semi. Then even if I am eligable more than once for the Grand Finale I can only enter 1 image.
    edited March 11, 2007
    Sure thing. Qualifying rounds are open to all.
    Even if you win a semi? What about if you win a qualifying round for the same semi?
    edited March 11, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    So you can enter more than one image in a semi-final round? If say I qualified in Qualifer 1 & 2 for Semi-final 1, then I would have two of the 50 spots available in the first Semi. Then even if I am eligable more than once for the Grand Finale I can only enter 1 image.

Each contest you can enter one photo, no more. If you qualified 5 times for a semi final, you would only get to submit one photo for that semifinal.
    edited March 11, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Even if you win a semi? What about if you win a qualifying round for the same semi?
    qualifying rounds are open to all.
    edited March 11, 2007

So, what exactly are you saying? headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 11, 2007

Some may be wondering:
    hmm, if someone wins a qualifying round all 5 times, then there will be 4 fewer people who can compete in the semifinal. That's not fair.

And then it hits you. Life is not fair. This is a contest that is playing for keeps. Oh my, I can't just rest on my laurels and hope I get lucky. One person can eliminate 4 of their potential competitors. Ohhhhhhh.....

Yes, you might start sweating a bit, but that is ok. A little adrenaline in the system can spark the imagination mwink.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    And I think this is great
    Some may be wondering:
    hmm, if someone wins a qualifying round all 5 times, then there will be 4 fewer people who can compete in the semifinal. That's not fair.

And then it hits you. Life is not fair. This is a contest that is playing for keeps. Oh my, I can't just rest on my laurels and hope I get lucky. One person can eliminate 4 of their potential competitors. Ohhhhhhh.....

Yes, you might start sweating a bit, but that is ok. A little adrenaline in the system can spark the imagination mwink.gif

Person who works his/her back off during all 20 prequals and 4 semifinals SHOULD have better chances that the one that got lucky in 1 prequal and consequently 1 semi (I mean, come on, it's only getting into top ten :-).

And yes, if this person gets into top ten in all of these, it only means s/he would have 4 less competitors in semis and 3 less competitors in the final.

I actually think it is fair. deal.gif
    Otherwise why not give the 1st prize to every registered member... ne_nau.gif

Shay, "stay the course"! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Ah! So winning multiple spots for a semi round just reduces your competition for that round. It's incentive to keep entering & working. Seems fair to me. If you're good enough to grab 4 spots of ten, then you've earned the reduced number of competitors--of course those other 5 photogs benefit too...but maybe not, they've obviously got a real tough nut to crack to move on.
  • LynieLynie Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Fair is Fair
    Good, I just wanted to make sure that when the next round comes up, I can enter then too...I may be a beginner at all this stuff, and teaching myself on a lot of it but I have a LOT of ideas I can't wait to try and capture! wings.gif It's all about fun and getting better right? .....Well and then there's winning.... lol mwink.gif
    Lynie
    ~Life is like photography. You use the negatives to develop.~
    -Anonymous-
    :thumb

edited March 12, 2007
    After giving this some thought, I've come to the conclusion that winning multiple qualifying rounds benefits all the other winners equally. Not only have you eliminated some of your competition, but you've also eliminated it for the others still in the round. By not giving a multiple winner multiple entries in the next round he/she's really not benefiting that much for his or her efforts relative to the others still in the contest.

That made my head hurt.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    That made my head hurt.
    Now will you just listen to us when we tell you not to worry about it and just go shoot?! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    After giving this some thought, I've come to the conclusion that winning multiple qualifying rounds benefits all the other winners equally. Not only have you eliminated some of your competition, but you've also eliminated it for the others still in the round. By not giving a multiple winner multiple entries in the next round he/she's really not benefiting that much for his or her efforts relative to the others still in the contest.

That made my head hurt.

Are your "odds" of winning better if there are only 46 photographers instead of 50? If so, then is it more important deny this benefit to the other photographer than it is to give yourself a better chance at winning?

Now the whole "odds" thing does'nt hold up tight because the contest is not truly random. Skill skews the odds in the favor of the skillful. But the general idea I think is still sound. Fewer competitors will most likely be more beneficial than more competitors.

When you get to the Grand Finale, you are going to be competing with strong photographers. And if you know your Princess Bride, unless you have a wheel barrow and dread cloak, fewer competitors are better mwink.gif
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Definitely Chilled, But NOT Qualified
    Well, Smugmug/Dgrin's clearly come up with a rather neat idea!
    Many kudos; it's definitely going to be a place to watch. But that's not all, it's going to be a great place to compete!
    And, I see we are beginning to get entries…

Darn...
    I understand the Last Photographer Standing rules!

But this Bisti shot wasn't in New York City at a certain time; rather, it was one image from a 2 March Moonrise shoot in the Bisti Badlands of Northern New Mexico {unfortunately, not quite conforming to a 12:01 a.m. NYC time on 5 March}. Naturally, with Moonrise, one simply can't fit New York City time.

So, Wind Chill's Scream, under Magic Hour at BistiArt, is not precisely qualified to enter LPS.

However, I certainly feel Wind Chill's Scream clearly fits the first LPS challenge entitled Chilled [or was the Chilled moniker like the famous James Bond remark, "Shaken, Not Stirred?"]!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Are your "odds" of winning better if there are only 46 photographers instead of 50? If so, then is it more important deny this benefit to the other photographer than it is to give yourself a better chance at winning?

Now the whole "odds" thing does'nt hold up tight because the contest is not truly random. Skill skews the odds in the favor of the skillful. But the general idea I think is still sound. Fewer competitors will most likely be more beneficial than more competitors.

When you get to the Grand Finale, you are going to be competing with strong photographers. And if you know your Princess Bride, unless you have a wheel barrow and dread cloak, fewer competitors are better mwink.gif

...that would be a Holocaust Cloak. Yes, I'm a Princess Bride geek. ...anybody want a PEANUT?

Yes, reducing the number of competitors changes the odds for everyone else...but then they also know that there's one tough hombre in their round to deal with. To continue Shay's analogy: I'd rather BE the Brute Squad than have to face it/him. mwink.gif
    edited March 13, 2007
    ...that would be a Holocaust Cloak. Yes, I'm a Princess Bride geek. ...anybody want a PEANUT?
    Ahh yes, I hang my head in shame, thank you for the correction.

edited March 13, 2007
    I propose a battle of the wits to the death! :duel
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Bump for more prizes. $25,000 wasn't enough thumb.gif

So, while at PMA, I leaned on some good friends.

We've added some bling for the Public Choice Award winners, each 1st prize was sweetened with a Lensbaby 3G and a Crumpler Brazillion Dollar Home clap.gifclap.gif

w00t that's another $2300 in prizes!!

Details Here :D
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Oooooo! Nice. That public choice award is looking better and better.
    edited March 14, 2007
    Shhhweeeeettt!
    Andy wrote:

We've added some bling for the Public Choice Award winners, each 1st prize was sweetened with a Lensbaby 3G and a Crumpler Brazillion Dollar Home clap.gifclap.gif

Nice! clap.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 14, 2007
    Thanks Big Ben and Lens Baby Dudes!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Woo-hoo! wings.gifbarbwings.gif
    Well done, Andy!

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • simmosimmo Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Hi everyone, first post here, I hope you don't mind some questions and feedback on the competition.

Firstly, congratulations and thanks on starting such an innovative competition that not only has good prizes but encourages us to grow and respects the photographers rights at the same time. well done!

As of writing this, there are currently 12 entries to the first qualifying round of LPS. Assuming that people become more creative once the deadline draws near and submissions increase over the next few days, I could easily see that figure doubling to 20-30 entries. Is this the sought of numbers you envisaged?

Judging by a lot of the comments in this thread, people are keen to enter every qualifier purely for the creative challenge, if nothing else. While it is early days still, I think there is a risk that if you have the same faces winning each qualifier the semi final and final spaces will be filled with the same people and will become 'just another round'.

Obviously the solution to this is encouraging more entries. Hopefully word of mouth will generate this for round two and three and...but do you have any further plans for promotion, especially towards the latter half where enthusiasm might drop off.

I'm honestly normally a very positive personwings.gif so don't expect to read negative comments everytime you see my name, this is really out of character. I just wanted to raise some thoughts of mine and (hopefully) see that you have already thought of these and made plans so the contest is a success.

oh, and I look forward to entering soon (probably not for a few weeks as I'm a bit busy right now though)
    www.PeopleWhoDoSTUFF.com/blog
    Canada Blogging - travel journal
    edited March 15, 2007
    Simmo,
    First of all, welcome to Dgrin! clap.gif

I see where you coming from, but I honestly don't think it's an issue. While it is true that the dgrin veterans (e.g. Dee, Brett. Aaron, Douglas, LiquirAir and many others) will continue to submit their entries, we can already see that a brand new generation of challengers is here. Quite a few entries are from members with only a handful of prior posts. I personally expect this situation to enhance in the future, since more and more people will be attracted by this - really attractive - challenge.

FWIW
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    simmo wrote:

Obviously the solution to this is encouraging more entries. Hopefully word of mouth will generate this for round two and three and...but do you have any further plans for promotion, especially towards the latter half where enthusiasm might drop off.

We do indeed.

And have you told ten friends? And so on, and so on?

:D
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Condensed milk sweetness.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au