Options

Needed: Software for writing to DVD-RW's

HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited March 12, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
So I just learned (I'm slow . . . ) that Windows XP is not capable of writing my image files to a DVD-RW disc. I need third-party software. I have something called Sonic on my PC but it's a royal PIA to use, so I'm looking for something else, preferably something that'll allow me to drag 'n' drop like I can when writing to old fashioned CD's. Any advice?
Tim

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    I use Roxio Easy Media Creator....currently using 7.0 and just got an email saying it was upto 9......there is a utility called Drag to Disk, which is a drag and drop burning utility....but for me I use the Creator Classic utility for all my burning...but that is just my preference....burns both CD's and DVD's.....my was a download version.....I look for sales on all my software on the internet and even Ebay.....it was selling locally for around $79.00 and I picked it up for around $39.00 + s/h and it was even registerable (legal software).

an AMAZON LINK

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    i'd get Nero, even if it was just for the humor in their icon/name lol3.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    ivar wrote:

Deep Burner. Its free and works great! I use it for backing up to DVD

Make sure you choose the free version
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    ivar wrote:

For me it did not work as well as the Roxio Suite...but others I know would argue.......mwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Deep Burner. Its free and works great! I use it for backing up to DVD

Make sure you choose the free version

Actually this looks really good....now does it allow variable speed burning: will it allow me to decided how fast the media is burned......the media states 16x can I slow it down to 4x or even 2 x.....I have been taught that the slower the burn the better, so I like to control burn speeds.

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Actually this looks really good....now does it allow variable speed burning: will it allow me to decided how fast the media is burned......the media states 16x can I slow it down to 4x or even 2 x.....I have been taught that the slower the burn the better, so I like to control burn speeds.

yes but I think it depends on the drive and media. On my PC, it provides for 8x, 16x, 24x, 32x, 40x. For DVDs I get other choices. Not sure if the pay version has more options or not.
  • Options
    silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Another positive recommendation for NERO. I've never had a bad burn with that program.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    silica wrote:
    Another positive recommendation for NERO. I've never had a bad burn with that program.

I have and that is why I went back to Roxio.....not just one but several.....can't afford that when your burning disks for profit. Plus my co-workers and I did not think it was nearly a intuitive as The Roxio Suite.....but as I said earlier.....I still know people that will swear by Nero.

• Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Thanks, folks. Free is good, therefore I downloaded Deep Burner. It seems to work okay, if a bit slowly.
    Tim
  • Options
    SteveBennettSteveBennett Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2007
    You might want to take a look Archive Creator from RawWorkflow.com. It understands image files, can span CDs/DVDs in intelligent ways and will produce index html. I find it well worth the money.

--Steve