Options

Compact Durable Backpack

MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited March 13, 2007 in Accessories
Ok, I know, picky picky picky. Here's what I am looking for and hoping someone has suggestions.

I'm 5'4" 120lbs and not looking for a huge backpack. Need it to carry. D70, 75-300 lens, 28-70 lens and possibly SB 600.

It has to be sturdy. This bag will be carrying my equipment while I am riding a snowmobile, so it has to endure the elements and the ride (and I don't ride slow, lol) I prefer the smaller the bag the better, it's not going to be an every day bag, this is it's ONLY purpose. I have other bags for daily use.

So any suggestions would be great. Since I'm now under a time crunch to get it. I was originally going as a pro rider testing the new sleds and now I'm taking my gear with to do some shooting. I leave next week.

THANKS!
Lissa
www.photosbylissa.com
www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
Nikon D200
Nikon D70
Nikon N70
Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Nikkor 18-70
Tamron 75-300
SB-600

Comments

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    You may want to consider one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=199512&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=199527&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I have the Micro Trekker 200, and find it good for a small pack for carrying what you need. For me the Micro Trekker 100 was to small. But may still fit your needs.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Seymore - thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I have been looking at that bag all day. I keep thinking it looks out of proportion or something. Not sure. It looks so wide and short in the pictures and I wonder how that would feel on my back.

I have been researching all day and can't decide. I think I want just for this purpose bag, small compact, blah blah blah. My husband thinks I should get a more all around bag, so I don't have so many sitting around. Any thoughts.

I have been looking at the Tamrac Adventure Series and am really torn.

I think the Adventure 6 would fit my needs for the outdoors stuff and every day stuff. But it sure would be nice to just get the Adventure 9 and have that my all around bag and when I don't have my laptop with me (which I wouldn't take on the snowmobile) it would still be roomy. Not having any store around me with them so I can see them in person, this is really hard.

Any thoughts!!!!!

Much much much appreciated.
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    If you have a camera store nearby, make some phone calls first, you might plan a day to go try out on each pack to see what feels best for you. Seeing where you are, it may entail a bit of driving...

Just some more thoughts... deal.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    LowePros' Slingshot series might be a way to go.....I just today recieved the Slingshot 300AW and do believe I have found me a bag for mu hiking for wildlife and landscapes...as well as being able to ride well while on my Motorcycle.

I had previous ly looked at the Slingshot 200 and thought it a bit small or my need...so I didnot buy.....I was building a system ou of LowePeo 75aw toploader bags to wear on a wide military web belt and it was starting to come together.....then LowePro brings out the 300 AW...as of now I have in the main compartment.... a KM 7D with 28-200 3.5 to 5.6 with lens shade on [I am figuring my 70-210 f2.8 should fit very snuggly with out lens shade fitted to the KM7D, my 5600HS flash and still have room for several lense in the top portion I have my other KM7D with 24-70 F2.8 and still have room for filters a couple of batteries and other stuff....in the front zipper compartment I have 6 camera batteries and a LowePro DMC-Z containing 2 lexar 2ggb pro cards and 4 AA rechargebles and there is still room........this makes my 75AW system obsolete practically........

I newver go anywhere without 2 cameras with lenses attached so this is the closest thing to perfect I have seen or found...

For you the Slingshot 200 would probably work but won't really leave any room for growing......I don't think.......I purchase my 300 AW from a colorado sompany called Sell-N-Send off ebay...this is my second purchase from them and I have had not probs...everyting arrives fast and the one return I had to make was a no prob transaction.
    The sling type bags do not have to come off to get into it and for biking or snowmobiling that would be a great plus.

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Dang... another person that doesn't have local camera stores? ;) I hate driving 3.5 hours to check out camera equipment.

I have the MicroTrekker 100, use it mostly on a motorcycle. It works well. As you mention, it is a bit short... but that comes in handy wearing a helmet. I am 5'5, a large backpack can be too tall and hit my helmet. Also, it is good to have a smaller backpack that won't catch much wind.

My equipment...20d, 17-85, 75-300, lenshoods, card holder, blackberry... fits easily.

I like the slingshot, great for easier access. I considered it, but I was afraid it wouldn't work very well (fast or in town) on the bike, the MicroTrekker works great, secure.

One bag is a great idea... but not a possiblity with me. ;D

BTW...I have been looking at the Adventurer 9 also... it looks nice. wings.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated. I have to drive a good hour and a half to get to a store that has a wide enough arrangement of bags. With a 1 year old a 2 year old that trip can be extremely miserable. lol

I currently have the Tamrac Velocity 8 (I think it's the 8, hmm one of them anyway) and it works great however the downfall to a sling on the snowmobile was that it bounced around a little and I had it tightened all the way down shoulder and waste straps. It's a pain to take on and off with all those clothes on too. Only reason I mention that is that I'm primarily there are a pro rider not as a photographer, so I need to ride without my bag on when we get to filming areas etc. And I will do some shooting here and there, but I'm a rider first a photographer if I have time basically.

I think ideally I'd like a small backpack and a large backpack that would carry everything. But I already have the Velocity, which is a great little bag. Ugh!

I need to look more at the Lowepro bags, they seem to get great reviews.

I think the reason I am drawn to the Adventure Series is because they look like they would feel like a backpack on your back. I think some of the other bags look like they would feel like a suitcase on your back. I don't know though, I haven't seen any in person.

Thanks!
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Your comments on the sling, wanting a backpack, are why I went with the MicroTrekker 100... it does fit on your body like a backpack, allbeit small. When I ride with my husband, I do shoot from the back of the bike, but I still want the pack secure on my back. ;)

I bought mine on ebay, the seller said he would exchange or refund if it didn't work for me. I just checked, there are nany MT 100s listed $40-$50 range. You can even find "used" for less. Many people seem to buy, find it to be too small, then sell on ebay.

There is a used MT100 listed, ends in an hour... price is $3. It says in good shape... worth the chance? The seller has a 100% rating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lowepro-Camera-Backpack-Micro-Trekker-100_W0QQitemZ200086532875QQcategoryZ64336QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    ShebaJo wrote:
    There is a used MT100 listed, ends in an hour... price is $3. It says in good shape... worth the chance? The seller has a 100% rating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lowepro-Camera-Backpack-Micro-Trekker-100_W0QQitemZ200086532875QQcategoryZ64336QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Good find Sheila. thumb.gif This one should go cheap. There should be 2 long dividers and at least 4 shorter dividers, based on that I know about new MT100's. But this would be a great starter for anyone who may have more dividers not being used or needs limited dividers.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks so much. I've been watching that one. lol I was thinking I could probably get dividers for it if I needed. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but was thinking I could probably get replacement dividers fro Lowepro.

Thanks so much!!!
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Yep... the dividers are available. Something like these should work for you. However I've not found the long ones except in mass quantities.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOWEPRO-STEALTH-REPORTER-200AW-REMOVABLE-INSERT-DIVIDER_W0QQitemZ230085093284QQcategoryZ50507QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/LOWEPRO-STEALTH-REPORTER-D650-AW-STRAP-POUCH-DIVIDER_W0QQitemZ230097811651QQcategoryZ50507QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

And pending the final price of the bag, you can almost get a new bag for the same price.

I did also find this for you:
    http://www.lowepro.com/customer_service/faqs.aspx#8