Options

Wedding Advice

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited January 18, 2005 in The Big Picture
No I am not getting married.

However, I still consider myself a very fresh newbie to the serious photography thing and will until I have a few more classes under my belt (and some intern time would be great to). I was just asked today for the second or third time to photograph a wedding. Now needless to say the thought of this makes me nervous as all hell as this is a big day in someone's life and to be the person in charge of capturing these moments in time so that they can look back on them visually for the rest of their life well....... I would love to try wedding photography, and possibly intern with someone way more expeirienced (don't even really wanna get paid for it at first just learn, observe, and practice). I am not comfortable with saying yes when I have never done this sort of thing before. Should I flat out say no, should I offer to help her find a photographer and then see if I can get that photographer to let me assist at the wedding, should I say that if she find a photographer who wouldnt mind me tagging along I would love to go and just shoot candid's or offer another point of view (set of photos other than the other photographers)? The other two weddings ended up not happening so I didn't have to worry about it, but this one has already been planned and had a date set. Help....
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    I've been in the same situation. In all cases I said no to being the primary photographer. I knew that if I took the job I'd be such a nervous wreck that I would screw everything up. However, I did go to the weddings and rehearsals and shoot candids. I wound up having an enjoyable time, I got some of the best shots I've ever taken, and the bride and groom got some pictures they like.

FWIW I think your idea of offering to help find another photographer and shoot candids (if the primary photographer doesn't mind) is the way to go.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    I've been in the same situation. In all cases I said no to being the primary photographer. I knew that if I took the job I'd be such a nervous wreck that I would screw everything up. However, I did go to the weddings and rehearsals and shoot candids. I wound up having an enjoyable time, I got some of the best shots I've ever taken, and the bride and groom got some pictures they like.

FWIW I think your idea of offering to help find another photographer and shoot candids (if the primary photographer doesn't mind) is the way to go.

I would agree with Cletus. I've been asked a few times myself, and have always turned it down. While at the wedding, I've always brought my camera and got a few shots the bride & groom loved.

I always feel this works out best for everyone. These were my friends, and I wanted to enjoy the wedding and hang out. In the end, the happy couple preferred it this way.

Dave
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Am getting asked daily to do a workmates but i just dont have the confidence to do people. Its only a simple family garden hangin' but the thought of something electronically going bad also worries me. Light becomes so much more important & my camera isnt up to it i dont think.

Im with dave...i always take heaps when the paid photogs not shooting & offer them to the folks to download free of course.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    I'd shy away
    I've done only one wedding. For good friends who had low expectations. And I was the second photog (would not have wanted to been the primary photog). The primary photog was another friend who worked as assistant to an established photog for a year to learn how to do Becky's wedding. Weddings aren't easy to do. There is a lot to learn. If I were you I'd tell your friends no. The idea to assist the primary photog is a good one though. I learned a lot doing it.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    I was in your same situation last Fall. A relative of a guy I work with asked me if I would take their wedding pictures. I was nervous, but explained to them ahead of time what I don't have (lighting) and that I'm not a pro....I stressed that many times.

But they still wanted me to do it and so I did. I only asked for $100. It was a small informal one in a house, so that made it easier. And the couple really liked the results! :)

I say you have to have confidence in your work! One thing that helped is that I had taken pictures at 2 weddings already (as a spectator...not the main photog.) and both couples loved my shots. (in fact, my nephew and his wife liked mine better than the paid photogs!)
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    If you want to do it, and you have the confidence in your abilities, I'd say go for it. Just make sure you set the right expectations. As a n00b, you definitely don't want to sign any sort of contract or agreement that may come back to haunt you.

If you don't have the setup for formal portraits, just make sure you skip that part. But as far as candids go (and those are usually the most fun), just make sure your settings are on full auto and you've got an external flash. Shoot a LOT and hopefully you'll get some that will turn out.

There's really no need to be afraid, unless you set the wrong expectations, sign a contract, and leave yourself open to a lawsuit.

Personally, I think I'd hate shooting a wedding. Unless the bride was a real babe and set my CMOS on fire. mwink.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    I was in the same boat as well. My cousin asked me to shoot her wedding a dozen times. I gave her the names of several people I know that shoot weddings, but in the end it was a money problem. They couldn't afford to pay. I finally agreed to do it, but with the understanding that I would do my best and accept no payment, but if I didn't get what they wanted there was nothing I could do about it.

I did it and they were pretty happy with the results.

Later one of my studio partners asked me to help her shoot a wedding, she just wanted a back up because it was a large wedding. I did this as well and had fun doing it. I have not heard what the client's reaction to the shots was.

If you do it I recommend a stroboframe flash bracket that holds your flash farthe off of the body and also allows you to keep the flash above the body even when shooting verticles. It will help reduce any ugly shadows from the flash.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    Look like I'm going to end up going with Fish's suggestions in a combo with greapers, etc. They werent planning on hiring a photographer at all and just using disposable cameras on the tables, but she is really excited about having me do it when she found out I was into photography and doesnt expect much just really wants me to do it so june 4th looks like ill be busy. headscratch.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Look like I'm going to end up going with Fish's suggestions in a combo with greapers, etc. They werent planning on hiring a photographer at all and just using disposable cameras on the tables, but she is really excited about having me do it when she found out I was into photography and doesnt expect much just really wants me to do it so june 4th looks like ill be busy. headscratch.gif

Great! Now that the pressure is off, just concentrate on having fun and don't get stressed-out. Take shots that YOU like, not that you think THEY would like, and you'll do fine. I've seen a number of your photos and I have lots of confidence that you'll do a bangup job.

Oh...one more tip: take a lot of photos before you start drinking. BUT, don't stop taking them when you start drinking...you'll be amazed at what you think is funny and actually turn out okay 1drink.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    :D Thanks for the vote of confidence fish. The drinking part I don't know about (I had one to many on new years eve (actually I think I blacked out for an hour or so) and haven't wanted to even think of touching the stuff since then).
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    If you can, go to the rehearsal and take some pics. It will give you a little practice before the real-deal, and you'll probably get some fun shots.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    good idea, I really appretiate all the help and tips guys.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 7, 2005
    :D Thanks for the vote of confidence fish. The drinking part I don't know about (I had one to many on new years eve (actually I think I blacked out for an hour or so) and haven't wanted to even think of touching the stuff since then).
    Hiya Dragon300zx,

New Years was over 6 days ago. Get over it! Ok, so fish is a pro (and I'm
    working on it :D).

Seriously, a wedding is someone's special day. If you're invited to be a guest
    that means they want you to share in their special day. However, if you're
    'working', you cannot. That doesn't mean you can't take pictures, you should. But the expectation should be set early on. Either you're a guest or
    you're a professional photographer. You cannot be both.

What ever you choose, best of luck!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    Ian, not going as a guest thats for sure.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    Ok, my 2 cents worth... as someone who is setting up a business as a wedding photographer (and it's going pretty well), the one thing I would say is vital is planning.

Think about (and discuss with the couple) what shots you want to get. WRITE THEM DOWN! You will not remember them all in the heat of the moment.

ALWAYS THINK ONE STEP AHEAD. Make sure you are in position to get the shot IN ADVANCE. No point trying to get a shot of the wedding couple getting out of the car, if you arrive after them.

Visist the venue and see what you can shoot where, and try shooting a couple of shots there to help you plan what kind of light you're going to have, what speeds you need to work at etc.

the suggestion of attending the rehearsal is an excellent one. Also gives you the opportunity to meet the best man. USE HIM on the day to help you get people together for group shots. He'll know who most people are.

And most importantly, shoot with confidence. If you trust yourself to get the shot, and you've planned your day, then there's nothing to panic about and you are in control .

CONTROL is EVERYTHING.

Good luck and enjoy it!
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    Ok, my 2 cents worth... as someone who is setting up a business as a wedding photographer (and it's going pretty well), the one thing I would say is vital is planning.

Think about (and discuss with the couple) what shots you want to get. WRITE THEM DOWN! You will not remember them all in the heat of the moment.

ALWAYS THINK ONE STEP AHEAD. Make sure you are in position to get the shot IN ADVANCE. No point trying to get a shot of the wedding couple getting out of the car, if you arrive after them.

Visist the venue and see what you can shoot where, and try shooting a couple of shots there to help you plan what kind of light you're going to have, what speeds you need to work at etc.

the suggestion of attending the rehearsal is an excellent one. Also gives you the opportunity to meet the best man. USE HIM on the day to help you get people together for group shots. He'll know who most people are.

And most importantly, shoot with confidence. If you trust yourself to get the shot, and you've planned your day, then there's nothing to panic about and you are in control .

CONTROL is EVERYTHING.

Good luck and enjoy it!
    Great thread and great advice Yvone... nice website and photographs as well :D do you have any wedding shots to show??
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Great thread and great advice Yvone... nice website and photographs as well :D do you have any wedding shots to show??
    Thanks Lynn,

some of my wedding stuff is at www.yblume.smugmug.com/weddings
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    Thanks for the help. I am meeting with the bride and groom janurary 30th to go over shots and all that good stuff which should give me at least a couple months (april and may) of not freezing weather hopefully to go to the location and practice shooting.
    www.zxstudios.com