Options

iMac upgrade to leopard question

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited April 14, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
i know there are a lot of mac-addicts who subscribe to this forum who can possibly guide me in the right direction. I luv that 24 inch imac :lust .
its getting close to the release of leopard and there's talk about new Macs. My question is do you think if i was to get a iMac 24 inch ( now) , when leopard comes out will I be able to upgrade to leopard or do u think the new operating system will require me to get a new mac with newer technologies?
im asking coz i dont understand all the new things to be released in leopard ( ex 64 bit / core animation ) and maybe those things will need newer or more advanced technologies that are offered in the current iMac ....

troy

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    A newer Mac will always be a better Mac, but any Mac you get now will be compatible with Leopard. They'd be foolish, otherwise.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Generally all Macs can be upgraded to the latest versions of the OS for 6 or 7 YEARS. They may an OS version from 5 or 6 years after they were built slower than the latest and greatest (in some cases, WAY slower), but the OS supports running on that hardware.

You're talking about WEEKS here. You'll be fine mwink.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    A newer Mac will always be a better Mac, but any Mac you get now will be compatible with Leopard. They'd be foolish, otherwise.

David - A Mac expert I dare not even pretend to be. But when my wife went to the Apple store to upgrade her PowerPC G4 to Tiger, the Genius Bar guy said that would probably be the last upgrade for her. Upgrading to Leopard probably wouldn' t be worth it for THAT processor.

So if Troy (or anyone else) is looking at a new iMac (Intel), yeah, Leopard will be fine, but those looking at picking up an older system may not be able to benefit from Leopard.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    David - A Mac expert I dare not even pretend to be. But when my wife went to the Apple store to upgrade her PowerPC G4 to Tiger, the Genius Bar guy said that would probably be the last upgrade for her. Upgrading to Leopard probably wouldn' t be worth it for THAT processor.

So if Troy (or anyone else) is looking at a new iMac (Intel), yeah, Leopard will be fine, but those looking at picking up an older system may not be able to benefit from Leopard.

I was talking about new macs only. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 11, 2007
    So - How soon are we to expect Leopard?

I have been holding off on a MacBook Pro thinking the Leopard is due in the next month or so. Is this probably accurate, or will it not debut until after June?

Photoshop CS3 will be available within the next month also?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    So - How soon are we to expect Leopard?

I have been holding off on a MacBook Pro thinking the Leopard is due in the next month or so. Is this probably accurate, or will it not debut until after June?

Photoshop CS3 will be available within the next month also?

Apple rumors are that a hardware announcement will come at NAB April 14-19, or WWDC June 11-14. Hardware shipping dates uncertain (old Apple hands might know their history ne_nau.gif) Rumors that Leopard has gone through its final "seeding" (whatever that means) implies that it's ready for release. So I imagine it will be announced at NAB.

CS3 to be announced March 27th. Whether it ships immediately or not is unclear. Adobe made a point of saying that Creative Suite would not ship for a while. No word on whether the same holds true for Photoshop. Since it's been in beta, one wonders if it might be ready to be released. I sure hope so.

I too am a holdout, for both software and new hardware.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Apple rumors are that a hardware announcement will come at NAB April 14-19, or WWDC June 11-14. Hardware shipping dates uncertain (old Apple hands might know their history ne_nau.gif) Rumors that Leopard has gone through its final "seeding" (whatever that means) implies that it's ready for release. So I imagine it will be announced at NAB.

It's unlikely a new OS version would be announced at a venue like NAB. New FCP, yeah. New Aperature, maybe. New quad core chips with dedicated H264 en/de-coders, would make sense. New OS... not likely as it doesn't directly impact the workflow of NAB attendees/press coverage. That kinda thing will wait for WWDC, if it's not going to get it's OWN special announcement treatment. We already have been told that iPhone launches somewhere this summer, so my suspicion remains that we'll see 10.5 in one of the lulls between other marketing opportunities for Apple, March I hope, or May possibly.

Seeding is the process of getting builds to developers and 3rd parties so we can build binaries that will ship on/with it, as well as test on top of what will in theory be the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) image. If Leopard has really gone to final seed, then that does bode well for release sometime in the next 2 to 5 months.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Thanks Cabbey, makes sense.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Total pull it out of my butt guess...

May 15
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Total pull it out of my butt
    Well hell, now I don't want it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Well hell, now I don't want it.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Rumors that Leopard has gone through its final "seeding" (whatever that means) implies that it's ready for release. So I imagine it will be announced at NAB.

From what I've read on rumor sites it doesn't look like final seeding:

"According to the InsanelyMac Forum, the long list of known bugs plus bugs encountered during testing indicate that the build is a far cry from being ready for prime time. This casts doubt upon recent reports that Leopard will be ready for a late-March release."

It looks to me that we will probably ne_nau.gif need to wait for the June to see Leopard release.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    Interesting speculation today about Leopard.

This week's update to 10.4.9 has apparently set historical wheels in motion.

Based on the 10.3 and 10.4 timelines, 10.4.9 means that 10.5 (Leopard) will be announced and released within the month. deal.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Interesting speculation today about Leopard.

This week's update to 10.4.9 has apparently set historical wheels in motion.

Based on the 10.3 and 10.4 timelines, 10.4.9 means that 10.5 (Leopard) will be announced and released within the month. deal.gif

5/15.

Just sayin'.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Milan wrote:
    From what I've read on rumor sites it doesn't look like final seeding:

"According to the InsanelyMac Forum, the long list of known bugs plus bugs encountered during testing indicate that the build is a far cry from being ready for prime time. This casts doubt upon recent reports that Leopard will be ready for a late-March release."

It looks to me that it will probably ne_nau.gif need to wait for the June to see Leopard release.

Yeah, so a conversation with some folks that have the latest developer preview today involved the words "fetid" and "regression".
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    Well, it's official now, folks. No Leopard in May, not even in June. Now we need to wait till October.
    However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price — we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned. While Leopard's features will be complete by then, we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    ah, good. that means I've got a few extra months before I need to sell my PowerBook G4 (figuring once we get close, nobody'll buy it any longer).
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited April 13, 2007
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:

Yep! That's what Apple says (at least for now).