Options

Raw Shooter Essentials

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited March 15, 2007 in Finishing School
Ok, I use RSE to edit my RAW photos, Adobe bought the program but I still really like it. Small, very fast to use/learn, not a ton of bells and whistles that I never use (I like getting the images 90% and if needed edit them as TIFF or JPG later in PS). Now that it is no longer available I am not sure what next to use. Recommendations? I2E seemed a bit clunky in the interface, there isn't a ton I do in raw editing.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    BBones wrote:
    Ok, I use RSE to edit my RAW photos, Adobe bought the program but I still really like it. Small, very fast to use/learn, not a ton of bells and whistles that I never use (I like getting the images 90% and if needed edit them as TIFF or JPG later in PS). Now that it is no longer available I am not sure what next to use. Recommendations? I2E seemed a bit clunky in the interface, there isn't a ton I do in raw editing.

Most former RSE users seem to either go to Bibble or to Lightroom depending upon their own preferences. Have you looked at or tried either of those?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    no, are there any trial versions of them available? Either of them comparable to the learning curve? The race season is starting now so I will have my hands full as is with photos.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    BBones wrote:
    no, are there any trial versions of them available? Either of them comparable to the learning curve? The race season is starting now so I will have my hands full as is with photos.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom trial available through a link on this page.
    Bibble 14-day trial version available here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    I don't know if you use Canon's or not but DPP v2.2 is free, fast, and effective. Faster than RSE in my view.

If you don't upgrade, then the RSE still works perfectly on the camera you have, so I'd just continue to use RSE until you upgrade bodies.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 14, 2007
    BBones wrote:

What is forcing you to change? I will keep using RSE as long as I can.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    No one is forcing the change. But I don't want to be behind on things and since there will not be upgrades for it anymore I need to know what is also available and works with my needs.

I am using Canon but I don't have the DPP software (bought my 1D Mark 2 over a year ago and misplaced the software by now). Looks like if you want to upgrade to version 2.2 you have to have an older version installed.
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    BBones wrote:
    No one is forcing the change. But I don't want to be behind on things and since there will not be upgrades for it anymore I need to know what is also available and works with my needs.

I am using Canon but I don't have the DPP software (bought my 1D Mark 2 over a year ago and misplaced the software by now). Looks like if you want to upgrade to version 2.2 you have to have an older version installed.

Do you know any other Canon users who might have a CD laying around?

I've tried most of the RAW converters at one time or another and now own a couple. Different converters work best with certain types of photos, in my opinion. You'll find that most of them offer a trial period and that is really the best way to proceed. Download one try it for a while and see what you think. Find one that fits your skill level and what you need capability wise. I'd suggest starting with Bibble Lite to see what you think of it.

Have fun.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited March 14, 2007
    I was reluctant to use i2e at first, especially as I only have one old machine to run it on. I have to admit that it has changed how I think about RAW workflow, and I will be purchasing a new computer just for the privilege.

The more I use it, the more I want to recommend it. Yes, the user interface could be improved, but once you learn it, it's not bad at all. The results are what keep me coming back to it. I was not able to achieve as desirable results with either DPP or RSE.

I'm having only one problem, and that is that vertical/portrait images from a Canon 1D MKII RAW have no EXIF information in the output files, and an odd EXIF header that locks some applications. I have not tried to contact colour-science, but I bet they have a solution. (They are pretty darned good.) thumb.gifthumb Heck, it's probably something I did.

RAW images from a Canon XT are no problem.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    Actually I did find the CD after scrounging around and installed it and then updated it to 2.2. I still greatly prefer the user format of RSE more. Having to "open" the image versus having the thumbnails and an expanded view that RSE has is a pain.
  • Options
    midnitejammidnitejam Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    How do you compare Adobe's Bridge to the others you're using?

Actually, I'm beginning to like Adobe's CS3 camera RAW.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    Have not tried it, I use PSCS2
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    midnitejam wrote:
    How do you compare Adobe's Bridge to the others you're using?

Actually, I'm beginning to like Adobe's CS3 camera RAW.

Well I for one hate Bridge. I really dont 'get' it. I must have 6 apps that I can rate and sort photos, and none of them are as big a resource hog as Bridge. The most annoying thing about Bridge is that whenver I doubleclick a photo, it does not behave as I wish. I typically doubleclick to see a fullscreen view of a photo, but no, it launches into PS CS2. Just show me a big photo, dammit.

RSE doesnt really have a DAM side to it, not really. Perhaps DPP does, I am not sure. I started out with PSP 9, and used it for quite a while, then switched to PS CS2. But, when I did that, all my ratings, groups, etc went away, as PSP and PS CS2 were not compatible ARGH!.. I do not want that to happen again, so I am seeking apps that are compatible in this respect. So far, it is Adobe CS2, Bridge, Lightroom, and iMediaPro.

I really, really like Bibble. It seems to have so many great features, although DAM isnt really one of them. The product that seems to have it all is Lightroom. It seems perfect for me, and even offers 98% of the editting features I use, and a far better 'fix it and move on' workflow than Bridge/CS2. But, it is still slow, and very definitely v1.0 software.

I would recommend Lightroom, assuming it gets its act together in the next few months. Otherwise, you should give Bibble a whirl.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    If I could find it, would it be worthwhile to upgrade from Essentials to Premium? What is the difference between the two RawShooter programs?

And on that note, does anyone know where to find a copy of it now that it is discontinued?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    I like Bridge
    cmason wrote:
    Well I for one hate Bridge. I really dont 'get' it. I must have 6 apps that I can rate and sort photos, and none of them are as big a resource hog as Bridge. The most annoying thing about Bridge is that whenver I doubleclick a photo, it does not behave as I wish. I typically doubleclick to see a fullscreen view of a photo, but no, it launches into PS CS2. Just show me a big photo, dammit.

I happen to like Bridge, especially in it's CS3 incarnation. It is a bit of a resource hog, but I solved that by just getting more memory (I have 3GB). The thing that drives me nuts about every other RAW program I've seen is that they require you to create an intermediate file (usually a huge 116-bit TIFF) just so you can load a quality 16-bit image into Photoshop. With Bridge, I do most of my tweaks in RAW. Then, for a few images that need something in Photoshop, I load them directly into Photoshop with no need for a pre-tweak intermediate file. I make my changes in Photoshop and save the final resulting JPEG. I don't have any extra intermediate files taking up space or that have to then be cleaned up. When I tried other RAW processors it seemed like they required you to make RAW adjustments, generate TIFFs, modify the ones you want in Photoshop, generate JPEGs, then delete the TIFFs. My workflow just never dealt well with that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    BBones wrote:
    If I could find it, would it be worthwhile to upgrade from Essentials to Premium? What is the difference between the two RawShooter programs?

And on that note, does anyone know where to find a copy of it now that it is discontinued?

Premium is no longer available. Lightroom replaces it. There is no way to upgrade, as there is no one to take your $$. Even the free Essentials edition will no longer register, which is pretty annoying. Dont recall the differences. Look at Bibble lite and Bibble Pro and you can get a feel for a somewhat similar product.