Options

my default style is always slideshow... why?

ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited August 16, 2007 in SmugMug Support
something has happened in the last week, for some reason the default view on all galleries that don't have a forced view is slideshow.

why is that... how can i change it?

eg ---> http://gallery.aussieexotics.com/popular/

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 10, 2007
    something has happened in the last week, for some reason the default view on all galleries that don't have a forced view is slideshow.

why is that... how can i change it?

eg ---> http://gallery.aussieexotics.com/popular/

it's caused by the slideshow hack on your homepage, it's a side effect of using the keyword or popular urls. The code is required to modify your cookie in order to retrieve all the images.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    it's caused by the slideshow hack on your homepage, it's a side effect of using the keyword or popular urls. The code is required to modify your cookie in order to retrieve all the images.

dam, well that's a poopy. :(

i quite like the slideshow on the front page, i just don't want the rest of the galleries to be slideshow, especially keywords/popular.

any way around it or i just have to get rid of it?

does this mean everyone who's visited my site will now have a cookie saying they always want to see slideshows...
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    dam, well that's a poopy. :(

i quite like the slideshow on the front page, i just don't want the rest of the galleries to be slideshow, especially keywords/popular.

any way around it or i just have to get rid of it?

does this mean everyone who's visited my site will now have a cookie saying they always want to see slideshows...

you can get rid it by using a single gallery instead of keywords or popular.

whether it happens to other, well it depends...bwg's code does attempt to set the cookie back to the original state, but it appears that it might be a timing issue.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    you can get rid it by using a single gallery instead of keywords or popular.

well no the whole point of it is that i want to have a random slideshow of images which have a specific keyword across all my albums, eg i tag photos that i reckon are worth showing off with the "wallpaper" keyword.

*sigh* i'll just get rid of it then i guess.

hang on, is there a way to force a style for keywords/popular?
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 10, 2007
    well no the whole point of it is that i want to have a random slideshow of images which have a specific keyword across all my albums, eg i tag photos that i reckon are worth showing off with the "wallpaper" keyword.

Hi,

I don't have an explanation for this but I can tell you that this was also happening to me about a month ago. My slideshow on my homepage is drawn from a keyword. For reasons I do not understand, it had to do with using my subdomain in the link to my galleries on my navbar. Whenever I would click on galleries (from the navbar), then view one of the galleries, if it was not forced to a style, it would be in slideshow view. I changed the direct link on my navbar for galleries to the SmugMug link (no subdomain), and it works fine. So, like I said, I don't know why, but it did happen to me, too.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007

I understand your frustration...but me and the other people who have developed 3rd party hacks for smugmug, have done the best we can with what was available to us. Under ideal conditions we would have perhaps done things slightly differently.

But at least for the short term, we will have to live with what's available.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    I understand your frustration...but me and the other people who have developed 3rd party hacks for smugmug, have done the best we can with what was available to us. Under ideal conditions we would have perhaps done things slightly differently.

yar danke, i love what it does but not sure if it's worth the compromises.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    Barb wrote:
    I changed the direct link on my navbar for galleries to the SmugMug link (no subdomain), and it works fine. So, like I said, I don't know why, but it did happen to me, too.

this is cookie related. each domain/subdomain has it's own cookie...
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    this is cookie related. each domain/subdomain has it's own cookie...

:nono there is only one smugmug.com cookie. The only other time is when a pro user has a custom domain, then a cookie exists for the custom domain.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    :nono there is only one smugmug.com cookie. The only other time is when a pro user has a custom domain, then a cookie exists for the custom domain.

that's what i mean.

for me aussieexotics.smugmug.com is different to gallery.aussieexotics.com
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    devbobo wrote:

just a thought... can i use an opposing hack to set the defualt view to smugmug style anywhere else they might navigate?
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    I get around this problem by hiding all galleries and categories on my front page, and using a navbar. The navbar uses the technique mentioned in this post to re-set the default viewing style to smugmug.

It's at http://pbolchover.smugmug.com/ if you want to see it in practice.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 15, 2007
    this bug has been fixed in the new slideshow version .58. grab it from the slideshow hack thread.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    this bug has been fixed in the new slideshow version .58. grab it from the slideshow hack thread.
    The pdf shows as version 57 but mentions the fix there. Is this an oversite?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    The pdf shows as version 57 but mentions the fix there. Is this an oversite?
    no. i just didnt feel like updating the pdf.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:

as in... it won't alter the user's cookies?

i'll give it a shot..... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    as in... it won't alter the user's cookies?

i'll give it a shot..... thumb.gif
    as in, there was a bug with custom domains where it wouldnt even attempt to set the cookie back. It still hijacks the cookie but actually sets it back for custom domains now.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    hi, sorry i don't have any repeatable steps for you but this is still randomly happening.

sometimes it won't occur for a couple days but then suddenly it's always slideshow. ne_nau.gif

it's not a big deal as most of my stuff i display on my own site with my own layouts now, but it's still annoying when a link takes someone to the completely wrong photo.
  • Options
    GreatSave9GreatSave9 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Any fix? I still have this problem. I just added the custom slideshow on the front page, but now the rest of my galleries start as slideshows, very annoying.
    Im searchin now for an answer.
    NVM, works now somehow without a problem.
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I seem to have this issue too, I just set all my galleries to smugmug style...