Options

Pittsburgh, is it worth the trip?

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited January 18, 2005 in The Big Picture
I have aother travel/photography opprotunity next month to Pittsburgh, PA. Never been there, and wondering of those of you who have been there. Is it worth the trip. Any good photography spots, should I feel safe walking around with my gear there? Should I go, should I stay in michigan that weekend, Should I buy a ticket and fly to florida that weekend? Hmmmmmm.
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    The is a nice Stste Park about 30 minutes south east of Pitt, called Ohio Pyle State Park (that's a link). The Park has about 8 waterfalls and numerous cascades in pristine forest. Lots of Photo Ops there. I would post a few but they were taken in my first six months into Photography, and , well... they suck.
  • Options
    GaijinGaijin Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2005
    I lived in Pittsburgh for 6 years. Here are some ideas:

Phipps Conservatory (right next to Carnegie Mellon University), is huge. Trips there usually result in having to change CF cards. They have natural-area themed gardens, different greenhouses maintaining different climates, and constantly shifting independent projects.

The National Aviary is in Pittsburgh. Hundreds of rare and unusual birds, mostly domesticated to the point you can get close enough to do some creative shots.

The Cathedral of Learning (part of the University of Pittsburgh) has a floor with classrooms themed in countries around the world.

The Carnegie Museum of Art, usually has some cool (sometimes disturbing) exhibits.

Downtown Pittsburgh is a walk through architectural history. Many buildings are well preserved and each one has a fascinating story to it. You could start at the courthouse and wander your way around Grant street, or start in Point State Park, which leads me to:

Point State Park: this is the park at the junction of the three rivers that meet in Pittsburgh: The Ohio, Allegheny, and the Monongahela. There's a big fountain (sometimes not operational), and sprinkled throughout the year there are outodoor concerts and art festivals there.

Maybe that's enough to get you started? Best wishes,

Gaijin
    I have aother travel/photography opprotunity next month to Pittsburgh, PA. Never been there, and wondering of those of you who have been there. Is it worth the trip. Any good photography spots, should I feel safe walking around with my gear there? Should I go, should I stay in michigan that weekend, Should I buy a ticket and fly to florida that weekend? Hmmmmmm.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    Wow, great post, Gaijin. Almost makes me want to visit Pittsburgh. Almost. :D

And welcome to dgrin! wave.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au