Options

New account image size questions

LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited March 16, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm a bit confused about image size for my gallery. So far, I've procrastinated and have not joined, but I am close to joining, maybe even today, and plan to join at pro level to sell some work. :deal That is my primary goal as well as to use general viewing options for friends, associates, etc...

Now, the rub of the grin (pun intended) is, I shoot D2X, D200, and Leica D-Lux 3 cameras. Size wise, I don't want to limit my customers, they want big, let them go big! But at same time, I do not wish to give my work away to web stalkers, you know those that do save as, swipe your shots, delete your copyright, and suddenly, your shot is showing up somewhere without your credit.

So, help me to understand, should I save all my work as JPG 10 (max resolution), and format in SRGB to look best on screen (and is that best for printing too at service with Smugmug) Can I prevent the save as preditor?

Is it possible for you to display one print in say web only quality and size, and the large file for printing is only behind the scenes so the customer never see's the actual file that is printed from?

If my questions are elementary, I apologize, but I have been reading and trying to learn already, so I am not just trying to rely on others for help.

Also, I have a couple of domain names already, one is actually a lot longer than the other, but is my preferred name. Does any particular length domain name seem better suited here at pro level?

Thanks,
Lex (Doug)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Lex wrote:
    I'm a bit confused about image size for my gallery. So far, I've procrastinated and have not joined, but I am close to joining, maybe even today, and plan to join at pro level to sell some work. deal.gif That is my primary goal as well as to use general viewing options for friends, associates, etc...

Now, the rub of the grin (pun intended) is, I shoot D2X, D200, and Leica D-Lux 3 cameras. Size wise, I don't want to limit my customers, they want big, let them go big! But at same time, I do not wish to give my work away to web stalkers, you know those that do save as, swipe your shots, delete your copyright, and suddenly, your shot is showing up somewhere without your credit.

So, help me to understand, should I save all my work as JPG 10 (max resolution), and format in SRGB to look best on screen (and is that best for printing too at service with Smugmug) Can I prevent the save as preditor?
    Yes, you've nailed it. Image security? No problem, follow our guidelines, here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/image-protection[/quote]

Is it possible for you to display one print in say web only quality and size, and the large file for printing is only behind the scenes so the customer never see's the actual file that is printed from?[/quote]
    The original needs to be there on SmugMug but you block Originals in your gallery customization :)

see the link above.
    If my questions are elementary, I apologize, but I have been reading and trying to learn already, so I am not just trying to rely on others for help.
    no question is too small :) We're here for you![/quote]
    Also, I have a couple of domain names already, one is actually a lot longer than the other, but is my preferred name. Does any particular length domain name seem better suited here at pro level?

Thanks,
    Lex (Doug)[/QUOTE]
    Use the shortest name possible, it's better for your business :)
  • Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    thanks!
    I'm honored, the Andyman himself (another cool play on handyman) responds to my first post! Thanks Andy.

Your link pointed me right to the information I needed, that I didn't find in my Homeland Secure lurking mode I been doing before signing on. ne_nau.gif

I am sure there will be more questions once I log on, but for now, I'm good. :ivar

Thanks again,
    Lex
    "prefers white meat, and dark lenses" mwink.gif
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, you've nailed it. Image security? No problem, follow our guidelines, here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/image-protection

Is it possible for you to display one print in say web only quality and size, and the large file for printing is only behind the scenes so the customer never see's the actual file that is printed from?[/quote]
    The original needs to be there on SmugMug but you block Originals in your gallery customization :)

see the link above.
    no question is too small :) We're here for you![/quote]

Thanks,
    Lex (Doug)[/quote]
    Use the shortest name possible, it's better for your business :)[/quote]