Fred Miranda's Big Decision (now the evolution of Dgrin)

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've heard enough from him :D.

You only meant that you had heard enough from me on THIS topic right? I have so many more opinions to voice!! :D
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    This feedback is great. Keep it coming! ear.gif
    More beer and loose women would help. We seem to have a deficit.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    You only meant that you had heard enough from me on THIS topic right? I have so many more opinions to voice!! :D

No, the only person I've heard too much from is wxwax. Hard to shut that man up. :D

Any registered member's input on this is welcome! ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    More beer and loose women would help. We seem to have a deficit.

You have to give it to him for his candor.............or maybe it is just a lack of internal dialog.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, the only person I've heard too much from is wxwax. Hard to shut that man up. :D

Any registered member's input on this is welcome! ear.gif

Well, at 13,000+ posts, who hasn't? rolleyes1.gif

So far things are wonderful here. I really haven't seen the knock-down drag-out flamefests I've witnessed (or unfortunately occasionally been dragged into) elsewhere. So far we users have been making it relatively easy on you guys by behaving ourselves.

Hmm....maybe more beer & loose women would "help" with that. mwink.gif ...just so long as the beer isn't what I term "sex in a canoe beer" :D
  • sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I love Fred, and have lots of respect for that board, too, have been a regular there for years. But it KILLS me that it's so so so slow.

I couldn't agree more... it's a wonderful community over there, and I am a frequent participant there as well. The N&W forum in particular is a great group.

But as you said... those servers are running so slow that sometimes I wonder if there's a gerbil on a wheel powering things behind the scenes.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
    edited March 16, 2007
    gpphotos wrote:
    dont get me wrong...i wouldnt pay 45 bucks just to see the forum...but if they are already subscribed, then why would they care?

I'm part of the community over there too... I could be wrong, but I get the impression that not a great percentage of the community actually subscribes. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
    edited March 16, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    I would honestly gladly donate $20 anually to join that site if it would help speed up the site. But I dont see why FM just doesnt implement a way to show banner ads on his site.

I think, at least in the FM community, you're in the minority there. Internet users are a horribly cheap bunch... free is key. I remember several threads over there for "pay for this" and "pay for that" many of which were started on speculation, and although most agreed that they loved the forum community, many said they wouldn't pay.

edited March 16, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    I'm part of the community over there too... I could be wrong, but I get the impression that not a great percentage of the community actually subscribes. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

That makes sense to me based on what I saw the last time I browsed through the Buy and Sell Board over on FM. There were maybe 10 pages of ads, whereas there are normally a ton more than that in the past.

I think that Fred is seeing the "slowdown" that he was looking for. (Although the site performance was still slow as tar when I was there.)
    edited March 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    So, one thing that's folks have asked for, we're going to try and deliver on. Separate forums for different types of gear.

We're starting with

Canon Gear
    Nikon Gear
    Other Gear

You can see the subforums now, but not post in them yet. (Click "Flea Market" in the navigation breadcrumb at the top of the page).

It's an extra click, to get to the goods you are looking for, and so our question, is this useful? Are there any downsides? ear.gif

Good call, and may I suggest you NOT break things down further into more subcategories (like lens, body, flash, etc) unless absolutely neccessary. Reason: if I'm looking for someone selling their Mark IIn in the Canon FleaMarket for, say, $600 :D and I stumble on someone's 580EX flash for a good price, I might buy that even though it's not what I'm looking for.

We're all gear-heads. The more goodies we see, the better.

edited March 16, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Maybe like this - but it does add a third forum:

Canon Compatible cameras, lenses, flashes, etc…

Nikon Compatible cameras, lenses, flashes, etc...

Other Manufacturer cameras, lenses, flashes, etc…

Other Gear – lighting, bags, backdrops, memory, computers, etc…

At least this way the Pentax, Sony, Olympus people don't have to sort through the CF card, camera bag and muslin backdrop posts to find cameras or lenses of their chosen brand.

15524779-Ti.gif That's exactly what I was going to suggest too.

edited March 16, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif That's exactly what I was going to suggest too.

Is that not exactly what's already been done? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Jim VictoryJim Victory Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    I just recently became aware of this forum and joined. Like Chris I have been at FM since 03 and the whole climate has changed. I'm not talking about Fred or the Mods but the new members just seem more abrasive. They would rather argue than discuss a subject.

With over 5000 post, mostly images posted, I don't spend much time there anymore. I have been active on the B&S forum but that has become tenious too. Looking forward to what DGrin has to offer.
    Jim
    Canon Equipment
    http://www.victoryphoto.net
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Looking forward to what DGrin has to offer.

Something tells me you'll fit right in.

Welcome wave.gif
  • hb1111hb1111 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2007
    Looking forward to what DGrin has to offer.
    its not what DGRIN has to offer you, but what you can offer to DGRIN
  • Jim VictoryJim Victory Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    hb1111 wrote:

I might have something available.:D
    Jim
    Canon Equipment
    http://www.victoryphoto.net
    edited March 16, 2007
    hb1111 wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing what all the FMers bring to dgrin!
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Is that not exactly what's already been done? ne_nau.gif

Yup, and depending on how you want to look at it, I'm either incredibly late to the party, or a man with a vision for the future! (I hadn't seen the break-out of gear was already in place) :D

edited March 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Something tells me you'll fit right in.

Welcome wave.gif

Jim is an EXCELLENT addition to this community.

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 16, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    Yup, and depending on how you want to look at it, I'm either incredibly late to the party, or a man with a vision for the future! (I hadn't seen the break-out of gear was already in place) :D
    We're rather proud of how quickly we made the above-mentioned change here. Within a day of the big FM migration, we had subdivided the forum and updated all the guidelines. Navy Seals ain't got nothin' on us. lol3.gif

Glad you like it. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    We're rather proud of how quickly we made the above-mentioned change here...

You should be. I think the FMer's that end up here are going to be impressed with the forum's technical superiority, but they will be overwhelmed at the responsiveness of you people to your member's requests.

edited March 16, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:

Either way, you're in good company! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • pesto126pesto126 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    I'm impressed already! the falloff of things for sale over at FM is amazing.. and now what's mainly left seems to be full or part time busineses selling their usual fare. For lowly amateurs like me, trying to sell a very decent but no pro 70-300 ED lens is not happening now.. oh well.. I hope Dgrin will become my new go to place and I love the format here over FM's look/feel. thx!
    Me => prouncer.smugmug.com
    edited March 17, 2007
    wave.gif Hi Pesto!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • mikesdmikesd Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2007
    Hi everyone, three year member @ FM and never even knew you guys were here. I guess there is a positive to everything. Looking forward to being a positive member here and already noticing alot of familar names. :D

Mike
    edited March 18, 2007
    mikesd wrote:
    Hi everyone, three year member @ FM and never even knew you guys were here. I guess there is a positive to everything. Looking forward to being a positive member here and already noticing alot of familar names. :D

Mike
    thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • imageswestimageswest Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    pesto126 wrote:
    I'm impressed already! the falloff of things for sale over at FM is amazing.. and now what's mainly left seems to be full or part time busineses selling their usual fare.

I've noticed one or two of the retailers/resellers from FM have made the mover over here, too...
  • GoGoGoGo Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Cliff?
    imageswest?
    Cliff is that you?

Welcome, this is a very helpful place!

Giorgio
    edited March 18, 2007
    GoGo wrote:
    imageswest?
    Cliff is that you?

Welcome, this is a very helpful place!

Heheh. It's like a high school reunion around here! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    gus wrote:
    That whole board over there is the best advertising other boards can get.

That's a pretty big rate, and will deter all but the real SERIOUS and repetitive seller, a real loss for the board.

Hey, on that note, I see some cheap skates here, I know now...

Lex (the artist formerly known as Doug)
    www.fotogafer.com