Options

How to fix this terrible shot?

ReeferBenReeferBen Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited January 19, 2005 in Finishing School
It's the only one I have and need to get something decent to print out, it needs work and it has a reddish haze or something making it look worse. How would you fix it? The background is overexposed and the foreground is underexposed, would a larger flash have helped this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    ReeferBen wrote:
    It's the only one I have and need to get something decent to print out, it needs work and it has a reddish haze or something making it look worse. How would you fix it? The background is overexposed and the foreground is underexposed, would a larger flash have helped this?

Thanks!
    My quick and dirty using PSP9. Not very good but it shows that something can be salvaged from it.
    14286301-L.jpg
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    real quick.. five mins..

not too good and everyone has a bad case of frekles but it could be improved on with a little work..
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Yes, a much more powerful light would have helped the shot immensely. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    Some quick work.

14296398-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2005
    Thanks guys, was this just a bit of contrast/brightness work?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    With mine I made a duplicate layer then tried the different blending modes in Photoshop, found one that lightned the foreground, then I masked in the background. There was a lot of noise, so I used Noise Ninja to control it a bit, which is why mine is slightly soft.

Next time, don't put them in the shade, against a bright background! They're terribly backlit. Good for making silhouettes, bad for group portraits. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    N tell the guy in the back to put a shirt on, rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    ReeferBen wrote:

Thanks!
    I gave this a try, working with such a low res vesion is frustraing. If you post a link to the original, there might be some hope.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I gave this a try, working with such a low res vesion is frustraing. If you post a link to the original, there might be some hope.
    Same here - this is the best I could do with it
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    Shoot, that's pretty darn good, philspace.
    Sid.
  • Options
    philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Shoot, that's pretty darn good, philspace.
    Thanks, I've been doing a lot of reading and practicing. Have done this at work on other kinds of imagery and decided Photoshop is more fun that ELT 4000 :D
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    14447965-L.jpg

This is a super quick go at it.

What I did was duplicate the background image. Then I adjusted the bottom one to the background(darker) and the top one to the subjects(lighter).

I erased around the subjects to see the background where needed. I didn't take the time to really get close around each person, that's why they have halos.

Then I used the lasso to select the man in the red shirt's head and did some selective color adjustment to remove some magenta from the reds.

Obviously there is a lot of work needed and some noise adjustments are necessary. You won't get anything great, but you can at least get the faces out.

Hope that helps...
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    Thanks a lot guys and gals! I dont have a smugmug account yet so can't post the full res. image but I got the idea on how to fix it now. Photoshop is so confusing and so are the books on it!