S.S. Lane Victory

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited March 20, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
The S.S. Lane Victory is a Merchant Marine ship built in Los Angeles in 1945. It served in WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War. It’s currently docked in San Pedro, CA. This ship is fully operational and goes on regular cruises. Many movies and TV shows have shot here.
[URL="javascript:toggleDIV('editDescription','albumDescription', 'block');"][/URL]
whole gallery is here. http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/2594092/1/136746536#136746536
c/c welcome

1. Docked
136746536-M.jpg

2. Aboard the ship
136746547-M.jpg

3. Looking into the bridge window's reflection
136746549-M.jpg

4. twin cannons
136746553-M.jpg

5. ship's engine.
136746520-M.jpg

6. Outdoor Privy. The plaque states that during the Korean War, they picked up many Koreans fleeing the war and everyone including the crew used the outdoor bathroom. Now it looks over the huge cranes at the San Pedro port.
136746572-M.jpg

Comments

• JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Very nice shots. I looked at your gallery. You managed to capture the enormity of this ship, not an easy thing to do. Being underway, and using that outdoor toilet, they were brave souls :D
    Jill
    Jill
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Hey thanks for looking. I guess with so many refugees aboard, they had no choice but to go outside.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Tee Why wrote:
    The S.S. Lane Victory is a Merchant Marine ship built in Los Angeles in 1945. It served in WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War. It’s currently docked in San Pedro, CA. This ship is fully operational and goes on regular cruises. Many movies and TV shows have shot here.

whole gallery is here. http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/2594092/1/136746536#136746536
    c/c welcome
    1. Docked
    2. Aboard the ship
    3. Looking into the bridge window's reflection
    4. twin cannons
    5. ship's engine.
    6. Outdoor Privy. The plaque states that during the Korean War, they picked up many Koreans fleeing the war and everyone including the crew used the outdoor bathroom. Now it looks over the huge cranes at the San Pedro port.

What a great place for taking Photos Tee clap.gif
    Ships engine controls always look impressive, and your B&W's to me have a better impact than the colour shot .... nice work Tee thumb.gif .. Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Hey thanks. That engine is actually in a cargo hold and wired to an electric motor to run so that film crews can shoot it with lots of space to set things up. Used in a Steve MaQueen movie, Sand Pebbles.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 20, 2007
    I would agree these are some nice shots!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 20, 2007
    Fantastic shots Tom but that's no surprise. clap.gif
    Wish I could've joined you.