Options

Support for long dgrin posts

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited January 19, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
More than once (many more times than once) I've written a long dgrin post only to have it disappear into the bit bucket. Mostly this has been my fault: I might have forgetten to open a new tab before checking the news or following a link from email. At least once, I think dgrin timed out when I left a long post half written while I went to the beach.

What about a "draft" feature. A long post could be saved as a draft before actually being posted? Or what about a feature to import html from a text file or a URL?
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Great idea...
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,744 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    I usually make long reports in MS Word and copy/paste them into the message window.

For inserting images I use the tags "" and ""

Although a draft feature would be a nice solution also.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    More than once (many more times than once) I've written a long dgrin post only to have it disappear into the bit bucket. Mostly this has been my fault: I might have forgetten to open a new tab before checking the news or following a link from email. At least once, I think dgrin timed out when I left a long post half written while I went to the beach.

What about a "draft" feature. A long post could be saved as a draft before actually being posted? Or what about a feature to import html from a text file or a URL?

sometimes the 'net blows a cork, and i've lost long posts, too... i learned early on when doing the challenge posts etc., to make my draft in word or notepad.. any text editor will do really.... that way, i won't fall to the vagaries of a bad connection or other malfunction deal.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    same here
    andy wrote:
    sometimes the 'net blows a cork, and i've lost long posts, too... i learned early on when doing the challenge posts etc., to make my draft in word or notepad.. any text editor will do really.... that way, i won't fall to the vagaries of a bad connection or other malfunction deal.gif
    Draft would be nice.. Otherwise - do the homework in your favorite WP and then make an instant post..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    GSPeP wrote:
    I usually make long reports in MS Word and copy/paste them into the message window.

For inserting images I use the tags "" and ""

Although a draft feature would be a nice solution also.

Hi GSPep! wave.gif

This is actually the best way to do it, except I'd recommend a simple text editor or an email client to compose in. Also, don't use the "preview" button...sometimes that goes haywire.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    If I write a very long post in the standard reply window, sometimes I will select all and copy, that way it is still with my computer temporarily.
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:

Bottom line is that dgrin uses bought software, not something we wrote, so we're loathe to make changes to it. (It's really poorly written, and we need to be able to patch it easily when new versions come out).

So I'm afraid you're stuck making your own text copies locally, either by using notepad/wordpad/textpad/Word/whatever, or do like I do and copy everything to the clipboard before hitting submit.

Sorry!

Don