LPS#1 Semifinalists List!

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited October 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Congratulations are in order, you are now qualified for the semifinal starting May 14!
:clap :clap :clap :clap
The gallery can viewed here:
http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2605319

136813407-L.jpg
bgaras2001 - fever

137018360-L.jpg
fashiznitsngrins - Steamy Friend

137018382-L.jpg
Nikolai - Steam of Light

137431893-L.jpg
LiquidAir - On the rocks

137021540-L.jpg
adrian_k - Steamed Ice

137024588-L.jpg
Drabbit - On the Move

137431390-L.jpg
seastack - Stovetop Steamy

137432352-L.jpg
sunione - A Chilly Smoker

137432026-L.jpg
Ann McRae - Industrial Chill

137432113-L.jpg
cjkphoto - The Eye Has It

You are now free to party like it's 1999 :wink

This list and all subsequent lists will be linked in the rules thread:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=54952

***edit by DoctorIt:***
I created a gallery of the winners, so they will be saved for the duration of the LPS contests:

LPS finalists gallery

go have a look :thumb
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 20, 2007
    Well...here's what I've learned and what you all should know for round #2.

Don't come up with your own ideas. Wait for other's to do so for you. Then you can just copy them while telling the artist you stole it from what a horrible idea he/she had. I'm not pointing fingers but you I am calling you out. If this was a face to face type club you'd have very little face left. Promise.

Don't post your images for critique. If it's any good the vapid masses will copy it for themselves as they are too friggn lazy and stupid to think of anything new.

Don't expect better judging than that of any other challenges. Clearly the same banal and ignorant process is still in effect and I fully intend to honor this tradition here at dgrin for round #2. Don't worry if your photos lack color, clarity, a proper B&W conversion, focus or even a subject. At dgrin these things are accepted as minor annoyances rather than the marks of a a talentless photographer.

I do accept bribes in the form of either money or sexual favors, though a PM is probably a better way to discuss this than here in public.
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Thanks so much Shay!
    I am SO into this contest as much for the participation as the competition - this is really an awesome idea you guys implemented!

Congrats to everyone!
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Wow
    First off Congrats to all the Winners clap.gif I agree with some of the judges choices, in my minds eye, I already knew those were winners. :ivar

Although I am a bit confused.headscratch.gif ..I thought a great percentage of this was about was about originality, as well as, photo quality, and I did not know that we could use Photo Shop editing extensively....well Cie La Vie, I'll know for the next round...Good luck to everyone who enters the next round...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Congratulations to the winners. clap.gifclapclap.gif And good luck to everyone who enters round 2.

Virginia

Email
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Congratulations to the qualifiers! Great going!

Cheers,
    Sunita

http://sunita.smugmug.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 20, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Here's what I hear: waaaaaa waaaaa waaaaaa

whether you like it or not, it's fair and everyone's in the same boat.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 20, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Here's what I hear: waaaaaa waaaaa waaaaaa

whether you like it or not, it's fair and everyone's in the same boat.

I'm just pointing out that the more things change, the more they stay the same E. I'm trying to help folks for round #2. I care that much. While the contest might be bigger and more complex, the end result will not be any more impressive so long as the same criterium and though processes are in play. Call me crazy, but insanity is defined by repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result.
  • FrenchyFrenchy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    So is there a critique coming for those of us who lost?
  • DucCatDucCat Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    I am so excited about the winners form the first round i picked at least 4 of the ones chosen.clap.gif as for the sour grapes, please take that attitude elsewhere as it is tiresome...
    Find what you love... Love what you find
    edited March 20, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I'm just pointing out that the more things change, the more they stay the same E. I'm trying to help folks for round #2. I care that much. While the contest might be bigger and more complex, the end result will not be any more impressive so long as the same criterium and though processes are in play. Call me crazy, but insanity is defined by repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result.
    I see your point, I do.

But, the judging was different, I really can gaurantee you that. There was far more variety and less bias (maybe not the best word - simply referring to the fact that 6 individuals gave me a list, and I compiled rather than "discussing") in the pool. I must admit though, the entries and whole process were not vastly different. That should change as we attract more and different competitors.

Can't have it all at once.
    Erik

edited March 20, 2007
    Just wanted to say I liked your pic "Melt"...was very nice!!
    Frenchy wrote:
    So is there a critique coming for those of us who lost?
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Congrats to all the winners !!! And congrats to everyone else who submitted an image.

on a personal note id like to say something -
    i stopped entering challenges awhile ago because - i didn't see the point?
    i mean they are to be judged arent they? why did "so and so" win? why did "so and so" lose? what criteria do the judges use? is there a rubric? or do the judges arbitrarily pick their favorite images based on what they feel is important? maybe this is the way its always done and i can accept that.
    Why am i asking all the questions ?? So i can improve next time around. or maybe i need to be more in the whipping post. i just feel like i didnt gain anything from this initial experience. i probably misunderstood, i thought there was going to be feedback from the judges...

i also believe that challenges and contests like these should be done so that judges dont know who they are voting for.

troy
    edited March 20, 2007
    I agree with you on most points...but I just have to say...I laughed my Butt off when I saw your "Chilled to the Bone", great sense of humor you portrayed in that shot!!

windoze wrote:
    Congrats to all the winners !!! And congrats to everyone else who submitted an image.

i mean they are to be judged arent they? why did "so and so" win? why did "so and so" lose? what criteria do the judges use? is there a rubric? or do the judges arbitrarily pick their favorite images based on what they feel is important? maybe this is the way its always done and i can accept that.
    Why am i asking all the questions ?? So i can improve next time around. or maybe i need to be more in the critique forum. i just feel like i didnt gain anything from this initial experience.
    i also believe that challenges and contests like these should be done so that judges dont know who they are voting for.

troy
    troy
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Congratulations are in order

indeed!
    a beautiful set of winning photos! congratulations guys! clap.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I agree with you on most points...but I just have to say...I laughed my Butt off when I saw your "Chilled to the Bone", great sense of humor you portrayed in that shot!!

because:

The viewers should be treated to an exciting and non-predictable viewing experience. It should also serve to stimulate and inspire other photographers to enter the contest. What we are going for is nothing short of visual overload!

troy
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Clearly the same banal and ignorant process is still in effect and I fully intend to honor this tradition here at dgrin for round #2.
    I'm not sure you'll be here for round two, honestly.
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Congratulations are in order
    You are now free to party like it's 1999 mwink.gif

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Congratulations to all the winners clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Now don't party to long... round #2 deadline is fast approaching. :D

My family had our own voting poll challenge going on here at home to see who could pick the most winners. I was able to pick 6. Yep... gonna rub it in their faces tonight! :ivar

Happy Shooting everyone,
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
    edited March 20, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I see your point, I do.

But, the judging was different, I really can gaurantee you that. There was far more variety and less bias (maybe not the best word - simply referring to the fact that 6 individuals gave me a list, and I compiled rather than "discussing") in the pool. I must admit though, the entries and whole process were not vastly different. That should change as we attract more and different competitors.

Can't have it all at once.

The fact that you just admitted that there was a bias in the old system is enough for me to stick to my guns. It's fine. Just don't expect to "make chicken salad from chicken sh!t." (Coach Bobby Knight)

Thanks for all the PM's folks. though I wish you'd make your voive heard in public. Maybe it'll help. What's the worst that cna happen? Some internet stangers might get mad at you? The mods will ban you? Small price to pay.
    edited March 20, 2007
    truth wrote:
    The fact that you just admitted that there was a bias
    I was hoping you, YOU, would have read the parentheses and noticed that I couldn't think of a better word.

The "old" process was less scientific, but in no way biased. We didn't pick our buddies. Instead of just submitting a list, we'd discuss and compromise and so on. That becomes nearly impossible with several judges, a much better system, I think.
    Erik

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    winners
    Outstanding contest!!! And my congratulations to all of the semifinalists… very well deserved! thumb.gif

Winston
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Please go back to the rock from which you crawled out from under.

Sigh.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 20, 2007
    truth wrote:

Don't come up with your own ideas. Wait for other's to do so for you. Then you can just copy them while telling the artist you stole it from what a horrible idea he/she had. I'm not pointing fingers but you I am calling you out. If this was a face to face type club you'd have very little face left. Promise.

Don't post your images for critique. If it's any good the vapid masses will copy it for themselves as they are too friggn lazy and stupid to think of anything new.

Don't expect better judging than that of any other challenges. Clearly the same banal and ignorant process is still in effect and I fully intend to honor this tradition here at dgrin for round #2. Don't worry if your photos lack color, clarity, a proper B&W conversion, focus or even a subject. At dgrin these things are accepted as minor annoyances rather than the marks of a a talentless photographer.

I do accept bribes in the form of either money or sexual favors, though a PM is probably a better way to discuss this than here in public.

Truth, you've taken the childish behavior to the next, and last level. You are not welcome here anymore, I'm sorry to say. Please take your incredibly bad attitude elsewhere.
    edited March 20, 2007
    truth wrote:
    The fact that you just admitted that there was a bias in the old system is enough for me to stick to my guns. It's fine. Just don't expect to "make chicken salad from chicken sh!t." (Coach Bobby Knight)

Thanks for all the PM's folks. though I wish you'd make your voive heard in public. Maybe it'll help. What's the worst that cna happen? Some internet stangers might get mad at you? The mods will ban you? Small price to pay.
    To be clear to anyone and everyone:

We're happy to hear suggestions, gripes and complaints, even about the judges and judging. Really, we are - and in fact, it's how our contests have evolved here.

But we won't abide by or stand for, continued childish behavior. Period.

To all: Please do say what you like about mods, judges, Dgrin, the contest, the finalists, etc - we are happy and wanting the feedback. But please do so in an adult, civil manner. Thank you :D
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    windoze wrote:

i mean they are to be judged arent they? why did "so and so" win? why did "so and so" lose? what criteria do the judges use? is there a rubric? or do the judges arbitrarily pick their favorite images based on what they feel is important?

Indeed Congrats!

Windoze brings up an interesting point though...

If you go look at other contests, alot of them will have the scoring detailed down to a list of percentages, i.e. 10% Originality, 30% Technique, then the judges don't have to choose favorites, but instead ranking them on individual factors...

It may not be what it is right for our contests, but it is a thought...
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Congrats all who made the top 10, and thanks for all who entered, the more the better. I wish I would of entered mine sooner, I noticed an area in my entry where i tried to touch up a hot spot and it actually looked alot worse, i didnt notice it in PS or after i posted, only after the deadline was over. Perhaps it was too morbid anyway, i dunno. I do know it was alot of work to setup.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    To all: Please do say what you like about mods, judges, Dgrin, the contest, the finalists, etc - we are happy and wanting the feedback. But please do so in an adult, civil manner. Thank you :D
    [butt kissing mode on].... just kidding ;)

Hey Andy, like I said to Shay I think your idea here with this contest is awesome.

I know for me, I do it FOR ME. Maybe there are others who do it for the prizes, but I'm just as likely to participate in an assignment or challenge with no prizes as one that has them. I think what you've got here with LPS is unique, in that it will be going on for quite a while, with many rounds and opportunities for members to participate. I guess I look at the forum experience a bit different though (since I've been on the internet longer than most). I really find it a way to learn and connect with others, and less to compete.

That said, my ONLY criticism (and I hope it's constructive) was that I found the rules a little confusing on one point. I wasn't sure how it worked if a photographer did indeed qualify... would they then be able to participate in the next round, to qualify again, potentially for the opportunity to knock out another photographer (essentially taking another spot). I did eventually find my answer, but it might be a good idea to add it to the main rules thread, so that as time goes on and discussion threads are harder to read (because they're so long) newcomers will understand exactly how it works.

Great job guys... I'm looking forward to seeing all the topics you come up with... that, in and of itself, can be a challenge ;) -- and I certainly wouldn't presume to think it's easy to have to judge all the entries that roll in...

Keep it up! wings.gif
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Gee, Truth, what a pile of steaming poop, how in keeping with the theme! Near as I could tell you didn't even have a dog in this hunt, to have such sour grapes--gee, I'm mixing my metaphors.

I agree with you about copying other peoples' concepts--thematic shooting is NOT easy, and posting shots for critique is inherently risky that someone else might do it "better" especially for something easily put together in studio rather than on location.

I've been entering challenges here occasionally and around 65 at dpchallenge --at dpc anyone can and does vote, and comments can come from anyone--completely anonymous and "trolls" can ride the range over there to some extent with some statistical controls that somewhat drop out their results. I think this revised contest with more judges of diverse experience is a really good way to make it as fair as it can be. Occasionally I enter juried competitions like the Black and White Spider Awards because of the quality *and quantity* of the judges, knowing my work will get the most objective review, but you know what? I'm an outdoor, animal shooter--even the best photo might not make the cut because what makes it an outstanding photo *in my market* might not translate to the outside world--so if I'm smart, I'll submit photos that are "contest-friendly".

Shooting outside of my "box" and scanning the results of others' entries helps me hone in on a whole bunch of things beyond just what judges like--I *always* strive for great composition, exposure, post-processing, etc.--but what most embodies that challenge thing often eludes me. eek7.gif And when I think I've nailed it, I often, um, haven't. My entry for this was shot on the last possible day--and the night before I'd bought the materials to do a tabletop shot with flowers frozen in an ice block, which may not have made the cut either--it would have been a minimalist, close-up tableau. And with all those other chances to make the semi-finals, why was I workin' so hard? Why not just wait for a set of themes that was less hard for me personally to conceptualize? Because it was FUN to try and think of something that might be competitive.

To the people who are looking for feedback here after the judges make their choices--I respectfully suggest that judges are not gonna want to make suggestions to dozens of entries--and that yours might have been just slightly out of the top ten--so don't despair. Do use the smuggy gallery to analyze what might have pleased this group of judges compared to your entry, and move on! :D That's what I'm gonna do.
    edited March 20, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    Indeed Congrats!

Windoze brings up an interesting point though...

If you go look at other contests, alot of them will have the scoring detailed down to a list of percentages, i.e. 10% Originality, 30% Technique, then the judges don't have to choose favorites, but instead ranking them on individual factors...

It may not be what it is right for our contests, but it is a thought...

Very interesting concept...lol...sort of like a scorecard like what is used used on American Idol, Nashvilles Next Star, America's next top model, Ice and Dance Competitions?? etc. etc. etc??

Again Congrats to EVERYONE that took the time to enter, that alone is worth KUDOS!!

You may not be winners to the judges, but remember somewhere out there someone is looking and liking your work..

It is a matter of whose eyes are viewing it at the moment?? So Keep the Faith, Keep Clicking and See You in the Next Round??? wings.gif
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    I have a gripe
    Its more about the the process as such, and less about judging per se.
    You may not agree with what I say, but hear me out.
    So here goes my rant.
    Point 1 : Why this photo won, why that didn't. Persoanl choice of judges blah blah, there is no end to that argument, and since they are judges its their choice. If my photo was in top ten I would have been happier. Its human nature.
    Point 2 : This is my gripe which I am worried about. Suppose I post and idea, a brilliant idea and somebody copies it, and we have two photos looking similar in the thread. How will it be decided who copies whom etc., etc., It is a worry.
    I guess for my point 2 the only solution would be that the submissions are not revealed to the public until the contest deadline is over. So we can mail etc., our submissions to the judges.
    At the end of the deadline, all submissions are posted.
    48 hours later judges come with the verdict.
    This would ensure that there will be no gripes among people for "copying" etc., things.
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Truth, you've taken the childish behavior to the next, and last level. You are not welcome here anymore, I'm sorry to say. Please take your incredibly bad attitude elsewhere.

Thank you Andy (and to all the mods). I was starting to feel quite ill rolleyes1.gif
    One thing I enjoy about dgrin is that it's like a respite from the uglyness of this world... I for one have come to enjoy this respite everyday :D

I tell my kids all the time: You don't have to agree with me, you don't have to love me, heck you don't even have to like me... we can disscuss anything you want with respect... but you better mind me that respect because just like Bill Cosby says so well: I brought you into this world and I CAN take you back out again.

It's sad that all the yuck put a quick damper on the well deserved congrats... can we all return to normal programing again. wings.gifclap.gifwings.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!