Options

Shooting Overseas---questions

becca07becca07 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
I'm going to Spain next week and know i will want to take more pictures than memory space allows...I have looked into purchasing a certain cable for my portable hard drive that would let me upload pictures right into it without a computer- is that the best route to take? Does anyone have any camera travel tips? thanks!

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    What sort of memory card does your camera take ? The price of memory is very very low of late.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    becca07 wrote:
    I'm going to Spain next week and know i will want to take more pictures than memory space allows...I have looked into purchasing a certain cable for my portable hard drive that would let me upload pictures right into it without a computer- is that the best route to take? Does anyone have any camera travel tips? thanks!
    Even if you go to 8GB flash way, you can have around 900 RAW pics.
    If you want more, then get the portable digital camera partner. Its a portable drive with a USB interface. So you plug in your CF card in a card reader, plug it in and push the button.
    80GB version will cost you around 100$ or less.
    One such packaged solution is "Digital camera partner".
    I assembled my solution myself.
    Got myself a laptop HDD, got a casing with USB master port and all I do is plug in my CF card in the reader, connect to the drive and transfer.
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    becca07 wrote:

Thats basically what I did when I went to Thailand for a month, using a 6260i portable harddrive and card reader in one. About the only issue that could come up is the hard drive uses a fair amount of battery power during backups. So as long as mains power is accessable from time to time all is good. My unit would do about 6 or 7 full 2gig card backups before the battery indicator started showing low power.
    Hope that helps some what. :D
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    gus wrote:
    What sort of memory card does your camera take ? The price of memory is very very low of late.

Gus, I know you have the XS Drive, I bought one in 2004 when I went on holiday. The problem I have with it is that it frequently crashes during the transfer and does not give any info on the progress. The box has to remain perfectly still during transfer or it craches. Do you get this happen to you?

Stan
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Stan wrote:
    Gus, I know you have the XS Drive, I bought one in 2004 when I went on holiday. The problem I have with it is that it frequently crashes during the transfer and does not give any info on the progress. The box has to remain perfectly still during transfer or it craches. Do you get this happen to you?

Stan
    I have an x-drive ...no it does not worry about movement as i often used to just throw it into a backpack whilst it downloaded. But i dont use it these days as i have heaps of memory in CF cards & i rarely shoot RAW these days..its over rated in my book mostly.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited March 20, 2007
    becca07 wrote:

A portable hard drive solution gives you as much space as you're likely to need. Unless it is battery powered, you will have to make sure that you have enough camera memory to get you through one full day of shooting. You should check that your drive's power supply will work on 220v, 50 htz, which is the standard in Spain, and you will need to get a widget to adapt the power plug to the correct shape (small round prongs).

Cheers,
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I have an x-drive ...no it does not worry about movement as i often used to just throw it into a backpack whilst it downloaded. But i dont use it these days as i have heaps of memory in CF cards & i rarely shoot RAW these days..its over rated in my book mostly.

Thanks for the reply Gus,

I wish! I use it once a year for putting everyones pics on for an annual boys trip we do. Every time I tried to upload the pics. It failed. The problem is you never know how many of the pics it has savedbefore it stops

Stan
  • Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    becca07 wrote:
    Hi Becca,

Do you have a photo iPod? I went to Ireland in September last year and I took my iPod with me to download my images to. I would do this every night so I could wipe my cards and start fresh every day. It worked great for me and my husband!!!! We took over 3000 images!

Have fun in Spain!!!

Robyn
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    I'm going to France in a week and half and I just bought an epson p-3000, will arrive later this week. I'm going to use it while there, then sell it (probably on here) when I get back.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited March 21, 2007
    I've moved this over to location so that you might get some more
    eyeballs and recommendations.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Good move. I haven't seen the thread.

My preference is a dedicated imagetank device. I have been using the PD70X/HD80 for over a year now & run it through the wringer and it's been one of the most bulletproof devices I've owned. This one's been replaced by the Hyperdrive Space. The others I'd consider is the Nexto line, or the Epsons if a review screen is a necessity & the battery issues aren't a worry.

One of the things I really like about the HD80 is the battery arrangement: 4 AAs which is enough for over 60GB transfer. It looks like then ew SPace claims 100GB on the internal battery & there is a AA add-on. The HD80 also has several AC adapters, so you can get what variant you need. I know of no other imagetank device that is even close in this specification--and once their proprietary, pernanently-mounted batteries are dead, they aren't much good.