Options

Large Prints from EZPrints

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited March 21, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Just received my order today (SmugMug Order # 262403). It is 24" x 36".

I was a bit disappointed that
a) it was rolled up and stuck in a shipping tube;
b) the edges are crinkled, probably due to the tube;
c) whatever inflated air packages that were used didn't protect the eges as they were all inside the rolled image;
d) the paper used feels cheap; and
e) there are clear circular lines in the background of the image. Maybe this is due to the gradient fill on the image.

I have had many prints close to this size ordered from MPix. Their packaging is, in my opinion, second-to-none. The images are taped to a large piece of cardboard (peels right off - I've never, ever had a problem). A protective foam layer is placed on the front, and then the whole thing is wrapped in a relatively thick clear plastic bag. Then this whole thing is sandwiched between two more pieces of cardboard which are taped together. Finally, this is placed in a large, flat shipping box and delivered via fedex NBD for the low-low cost of $9.75 (plus the cost of the print). Not too bad.

The paper used on MPix is very nice. They don't go to 24" x 36", though. And I never had a problem with gradients showing clear lines (think of something akin to the lines in a rainbow). Again, maybe this is my fault in the way I processed the image when I uploaded to my smugmug account.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Hi David, sorry I missed this post last night!
    RogersDA wrote:
    Just received my order today (SmugMug Order # 262403). It is 24" x 36".

I was a bit disappointed that
    a) it was rolled up and stuck in a shipping tube;
    All prints of this size are shipped in tubes.
    b) the edges are crinkled, probably due to the tube;
    This shouldn't be, and we'll replace the print immediately!
    c) whatever inflated air packages that were used didn't protect the eges as they were all inside the rolled image;
    Can you post the "inspected by" number (a small slip of paper)?
    d) the paper used feels cheap;
    You chose Matte finish- matte and glossy finishes are standard consumer finish. Lustre is our premium pro finish - heavier, and the prints look so much better on them. I'll reprint it both ways for you and you'll see the difference :) More on Lustre here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/lustre
    and
    e) there are clear circular lines in the background of the image. Maybe this is due to the gradient fill on the image.
    I'm going to examine the file in great detail and reply again shortly before I do anthing.

I have had many prints close to this size ordered from MPix. Their packaging is, in my opinion, second-to-none. The images are taped to a large piece of cardboard (peels right off - I've never, ever had a problem). A protective foam layer is placed on the front, and then the whole thing is wrapped in a relatively thick clear plastic bag. Then this whole thing is sandwiched between two more pieces of cardboard which are taped together. Finally, this is placed in a large, flat shipping box and delivered via fedex NBD for the low-low cost of $9.75 (plus the cost of the print). Not too bad.
    Their packaging is SUPER and I completely agree. We are working with our lab to improve things even further.

The paper used on MPix is very nice. They don't go to 24" x 36", though. And I never had a problem with gradients showing clear lines (think of something akin to the lines in a rainbow). Again, maybe this is my fault in the way I processed the image when I uploaded to my smugmug account.

Back to you soon! And no worries - the SmugMug Guarantee is fully covering you here!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 14, 2007
    Yet again smugmug customer service blows my mind. Every business has shortcomings but few if any strive to right them with the speed and vigor as smugmug. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Do you have the layered psd for this file? I'd really like to examine that - in looking at the jpg, I don't see why there should be any banding on the print, but it is NOT uncommon with gradient fills like you've used.

If you have it, you can email it to my (click the email link under my photo over to the left).

Andy
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    Andy,

Thanks for the response. As soon as I get home I will get the inspection number. Hopefully the wife has not tossed the shipping papers.

As for the reprints - that's great!!! I know about and have used lustre many times for other projects. This time I choose matte for two reasons. First - the fingerprints from many kids with touchy-feely hands will be near this print. And, besides that, lustre was not an option:

135999035-L.jpg

As for emailing the psd file it may be too large for that. What about something like yousendit.com?
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Andy,

Thanks for the response. As soon as I get home I will get the inspection number. Hopefully the wife has not tossed the shipping papers.

As for the reprints - that's great!!! I know about and have used lustre many times for other projects. This time I choose matte for two reasons. First - the fingerprints from many kids with touchy-feely hands will be near this print. And, besides that, lustre was not an option:

135999035-L.jpg

As for emailing the psd file it may be too large for that. What about something like yousendit.com?
    Sorry, My mistake, I didn't pay close attention to the size. 24x36 is not availalbe in Lustre- but 20x30 is.
    Yousendit is fine..
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    File uploaded via yousendit.com

Let me know that you got it.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    File uploaded via yousendit.com

Let me know that you got it.
    I got it, looked at it and it should be fine - with your permission I'd like to print new files for you 20x30 Lustre, will that be ok?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    That's fine, Andy. Thanks for the help.

What's the reason that lustre is not available at 24x36?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:

It's just not available for those machines...
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:

New prints ordered tonight :)

Order # 265112
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Order # 265112
    Thanks, Andyclap.gif

Hope you're feeling better today.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Order # 265112

Andy,

It came - It was opened - It was nicethumb.gif

The colors on the 20x30's were much darker and richer than the 24x36 that I ordered. The new prints look more like the original. Did you do something, or are the printers producing different colors?

Also, you most certainly did not have to send 2 copies. One would have sufficed!
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Andy,

It came - It was opened - It was nicethumb.gif

The colors on the 20x30's were much darker and richer than the 24x36 that I ordered. The new prints look more like the original. Did you do something, or are the printers producing different colors?

Also, you most certainly did not have to send 2 copies. One would have sufficed!
    I did, and you are welcome thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I did, and you are welcome thumb.gif

Can you let me in on what you did so that I can get similar results in the future?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Can you let me in on what you did so that I can get similar results in the future?
    Honestly I don't recall, it was hundreds of shots ago :)
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I had a similar complaint about the air baggies falling in when I ordered a 24x36. It was only a test print so I didn't care, but I think they ought to try to find a supplier to make slightly larger air baggies.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2007
    I had a similar complaint about the air baggies falling in when I ordered a 24x36. It was only a test print so I didn't care, but I think they ought to try to find a supplier to make slightly larger air baggies.

They need to adopt a better way to mail the large pics.
    Tubes=bent edges
    Tubes=increased risk of crinkles when unrolling pics.