Monday 12:01 AM

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 5, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
While it's not an issue for me personally (I'm not going to count seconds to deadline before submitting my Totally World Dominating Picture:-), wouldn't you agree that saying the deadline is "12:01 am Monday" is a very sophisticated way to say "End of Sunday" or "Sunday Midnight"?

For all practical purposes the deadline is the end of Sunday. However, I can pretty much guarantee that each time we would have some newcomers who'd see "Monday" and think that they have an extra day or so. As we all know, reading is hard...

As a quick, easy and rather effective solution I would humbly:-) suggest to steal two minutes from each two weeks period and move the end to "Sunday 11:59 pm". IMHO, way less ambiguous and misleading...

FWIW
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Great idea... I'm in favor. (Especially since the same thing happened to me as everyone else who missed the deadline.)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I will humbly concur....as I did mis-interpet that and was waiting on some very cool (chilled if you will, absolute zero or very near)to shoot a double take on the chilled / steamy theme and itshould have worked for either chilled or steamy....but when said item arrived I had to turn it away as I had seen the thread that said it had ended......:cry

I don't know if it would have helpped everyone...but had the time been posted as Monday MORNING 12:01 AM....that would have gotten my attention.

"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Great idea thumb.gif With the way this contest is going to grow in # of people entering (just guessing) things such as this that help prevent frustration in advance is a good thing.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    As a quick, easy and rather effective solution I would humbly:-) suggest to steal two minutes from each two weeks period and move the end to "Sunday 11:59 pm". IMHO, way less ambiguous and misleading...
    I would also suggest that no matter what time is used (your new suggestion or the original time), two additional descriptors should be added next to the time: 1) the equivalent military time, and 2) a verbal description. This would make it crystal clear (for people who might get AM and PM mixed up).

For example, if we use your new time, it should read:

Sunday 11:59 pm (i.e., 23:59 in military time, that is, late Sunday night, one minute before midnight).

Or, using the original time, it would read:

Monday 12:01 am (i.e., 00:01 in military time, that is, late Sunday night/very early Monday morning, one minute past midnight).

Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    At first I was confused, but now I see you are talking about the LPS#2 entry thread. The "rules" post already states 00:01 (12:01am), NYC time (GMT -5), so I copied that to the LPS#2 entry thread, so now they match :D

Thank you for bring that up! Subsequent entry threads should get that same format.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    At first I was confused, but now I see you are talking about the LPS#2 entry thread. The "rules" post already states 00:01 (12:01am), NYC time (GMT -5), so I copied that to the LPS#2 entry thread, so now they match :D

Thank you for bring that up! Subsequent entry threads should get that same format.

So, we're still going to have the end on Monday, even though there is only 60 seconds of it that counts? rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    So, we're still going to have the end on Monday, even though there is only 60 seconds of it that counts? rolleyes1.gif

If it helps, think of it as ending Sunday night, two minutes late. Kind of like a bakers dozen, two minutes free for you slackers out there mwink.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited March 22, 2007
    Deadlines matter!
    The 12:01 am ending time is tricky, but only to those who are not paying attention. I think it makes for a great filter and trainer to pay attention to things that matter. Deadlines can be make or break for a working photographer. Better to learn to pay attention to such things here than make a huge mistake on the job out in the real world thumb.gif

We need a kick in the pants smiley :whip
    edited March 22, 2007
    The 12:01 am ending time is tricky, but only to those who are not paying attention. I think it makes for a great filter and trainer to pay attention to things that matter. Deadlines can be make or break for a working photographer. Better to learn to pay attention to such things here than make a huge mistake on the job out in the real world thumb.gif

OK, I tried.
    After all, it's gonna be your guys job to answer all those countless deal.gif "I thought it says Monday noon" posts, not mine:-) lol3.gif

As I mentioned in the very beginning, for me personally it's not an issue... mwink.gif
  • OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Why not say
    Why not say : by sunday; that makes it clear that you have all 24 hours of sunday and no more...........
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Osprey wrote:
    Why not say : by sunday; that makes it clear that you have all 24 hours of sunday and no more...........
    because "Sunday" is different all around the globe.
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    OK, I tried.
    After all, it's gonna be your guys job to answer all those countless deal.gif "I thought it says Monday noon" posts, not mine:-) lol3.gif
    We have written the times in the rules, that question is already pre-answered.

As I mentioned in the very beginning, for me personally it's not an issue... mwink.gif
    Good, then why the new thread? Go shoot and let Shay and Doc worry about it thumb.gif
    edited March 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Good, then why the new thread?
    Because I care? rolleyes1.gif
    Andy wrote:
    Go shoot and let Shay and Doc worry about it thumb.gif
    :hide
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    OK, I tried.
    After all, it's gonna be your guys job to answer all those countless "I thought it says Monday noon" posts, not mine:-)
    Andy and Shay play good cop. Time to meet Doc, bad cop... there's this thing called the "delete post" button.

You feelin' lucky, punk?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Dgrin is like Switzerland or Germany to Fred Miranda's Italy or Caribbean island in this respect. When the second had passes 12, bang! the dgrin contest closes. Too bad if you want to enter at 12:01:01. Thank you, sir, may I have another.

At Fred Miranda, the second hand passes 12. A day goes by. Then another. Than the contest is extended for a week, maybe. Then the second hand passes 12. Nothing. People post: will this contest ever close? Meanwhile the voting on the last one stays open until the current one closes... Have another glass of wine and enjoy the sunset.

We need a kick in the pants smiley :whip
    If not now, when?
    edited April 5, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Dgrin is like Switzerland or Germany to Fred Miranda's Italy or Caribbean island in this respect. When the second had passes 12, bang! the dgrin contest closes. Too bad if you want to enter at 12:01:01. Thank you, sir, may I have another.

At Fred Miranda, the second hand passes 12. A day goes by. Then another. Than the contest is extended for a week, maybe. Then the second hand passes 12. Nothing. People post: will this contest ever close? Meanwhile the voting on the last one stays open until the current one closes... Have another glass of wine and enjoy the sunset.
    rolleyes1.gif

And does FM have a $27K prize pot?

Rules are rules. Deal with it. We have a ton of hard working volunteers here, who, if they weren't making things happen for the folks who participate in this challenge, would participate themselves. Let's cut them all a break, shall we, and leave this type of nonsense alone.

Rules are rules, deal with it.
    edited April 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    Hey cranky-pants, I think Rutt's agreeing with us! As in, having firm rules is a good thing! lol3.gif
    Erik

edited April 5, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey cranky-pants, I think Rutt's agreeing with us! As in, having firm rules is a good thing! lol3.gif
    I never can tell, with :rutt Rutt lol3.gif

That's a good thing, keeps us on our toes :D
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:

Is this when we hug and get cookies?

mmmm cookies at ANY time of the day. :)
    edited April 5, 2007
    winger wrote:
    Is this when we hug and get cookies?

mmmm cookies at ANY time of the day. :)
    no cookies for you!
    Erik

edited April 5, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    no cookies for you!
    but but.....but

Don't you have some big paper to write.

I can just share my cookies with people that are NOT you. :-P
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    It's only 12:01AM for one time zone. Everyone needs to pay attention and figure what EST equates to in their location. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    no cookies for you!
    1164692179-youeatedcookie.jpg
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    edited April 5, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:

Actually I love both Italy and Switzerland. And they can both be frustrating. I certainly know better than to expect the Swiss to behave like the Italians or visa-versa. It's fun to compare, though, isn't it?
    If not now, when?
    edited April 5, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Actually I love both Italy and Switzerland. And they can both be frustrating. I certainly know better than to expect the Swiss to behave like the Italians or visa-versa. It's fun to compare, though, isn't it?
    I like Skiing from Switzerland into Italy, having lunch, and then going back :)
    edited April 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I like Swiss chocolate and Italian motorcycles nod.gif
    Erik

edited April 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Yeah I've done that. What the &*#$%$ am I doing sitting here in front of this stupid computer, come to think of it?

Even in Italy, I suppose, they stop running the ski lift approximately when they say they will. So if that lunch gets too long, you either have to take a taxi, stay in an Italian hotel, or climb (which is no joke in the Alps.)+
    If not now, when?
    edited April 5, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:

Can we put the choclate in some cookies.

Look at the kitten! dont deny the kitten.
    edited April 5, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:

You know, this is kind of profound. I love Italian chocolate as it turns out. Bacci. And why isn't there a Swiss motorcycle? They make great trains and roads. But no cars or motorcycles. Why not?
    If not now, when?