Options

Report Your Vista and Photo App Compatibility Experience Here

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
edited March 22, 2007 in Finishing School
Instead of keeping track of dozens of separate threads on Vista/Photo Apps across several forums, it might be a grand idea to keep 'em all together in one thread (here).

If you have recently upgraded to Windows Vista, or bought a new computer with Vista pre-installed, report your experience with the various photo applications you install and use here. (NOTE: Please, let's keep this photo application and software related only, if at all possible!)

• What version of Windows do you use, and the build number if known.
• What photo application(s) work completely, don't run, or have problems running under Vista. Be specific.
• If an app. didn't run at first, but you later resolved the issue, what was it you did, or downloaded, or found that solved the problem?
• If you post in here with a problem and later resolve the issue, please report back by editing your post, or refer to your original post number. Keep us informed.

Example...
Vista Ultimate, pre-installed on my Sony ABCXZY90 laptop, build 1.01.01. Canon Digital Photo Professional 2.2.1.4 which works completely so far. No issues with RAW .CR2 files or JPEGs. I can open each file in Photoshop CS3, and can save in every format I have tried. Had to install CS3 update (specify the update) to fix the (whatever), but after that, no problems.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Good thinking I'll move this over

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...th-vista.phtml

Metadata mistakes with Vista

Editing metadata through Photo Info may render the file unreadable in Photoshop

by Amber Maitland

12 February 2007 - Photographers be warned before jumping in with both feet to Microsoft Vista -- you might want to reconsider using its metadata editing tools for the time being.

The Photo Info tool is designed to make it easy for you to edit the metadata or your image without using a standalone application, but it seems that Microsoft has not worked out all the kinks in the system yet.

To start with, Microsoft has posted about the problem to its support site, saying that when you edit the software for the digital camera may no longer recognise the metadata that is added to the photo by the camera itself.

Rather disappointingly, Microsoft's "workaround" suggestion says not to use the Photo Acquisition Wizard to download photos to the hard disk, and don't use the photo editor.

A recent post on the company's photo blog flags up issues with Nikon proprietary RAW format as well.

It says that there have been reports that tagging the NEF files through Vista and Photo Info makes the files unreadable in applications include Photoshop, although they can still be opened in Nikon Capture.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Instead of keeping track of dozens of separate threads on Vista/Photo Apps across several forums, it might be a grand idea to keep 'em all together in one thread. This is it.

[..]
    Really good idea. Being here, the information stands the best chance of being informative and accurate (unlike some of the incredible - albeit sometimes amusing - stuff currently on some of the other sites!)

I will be getting a new system in three/four weeks and would be happy to share experiences both good, bad and plain puzzling.

Anthony.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell M1210 laptop with 2GB RAM.

Photoshop CS2 and CS3 Beta are working without problems. However, the Beta would not install correctly unless I right-clicked on the installation file and selected "Run as administrator".

My Spyder2 calibrating software worked without problems.

I have not installed Adobe Lightroom yet (beta) but will report back if there are any issues.
  • Options
    ManticoreManticore Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    I have Vista on a new machine, and I've only had a few issues -

Until today, Nikon Capture NX was flaky. It ran, but not consistently. I haven't really worked with 1.1 yet, but it seems much more stable.

ACDSee Pro is too unstable on Vista to mess with for me. I know some folks have gotten it to work, but nothing I tried worked. I was within the period to get a refund for it, so I did. I heard (but have been unable to confirm) that they're not going to patch it for Vista. Instead their users are going to have to wait until their next release 'sometime this summer'. Too customer-hostile for my tastes, so I got the refund.

PS CS2 works just fine for me.

Thumbs+, which I'll use until Lightroom comes out, works just fine. Note - that's said half tongue-in-cheek. LR seems really interesting, but the beta was dog-slow. I'll try the trial of that before comitting - Thumbs+ will get me by until then.

The biggie is my all-in-one printer. I have an Epson RX700 which I've been really happy with until now. Actually, the printer seems to work, but the scanner doesn't. Given the advance notice of Vista I think it's inexcusable for anything to not work well with it. I'm looking at dumping the Epson for another brand that actually supports their users. If they don't have a driver in the next few days - out it goes!

So far, those are the only real issues I have. I must admit, if I didn't buy a new machine with Vista I wouldn't have upgraded to it. The new interface is kind of cool, but not worth paying anything for. Add-on security software was serving my needs just fine so security wasn't an issue for me. Dell wouldn't sell this machine with XP, so I just have to live with the issues for a while.

All in all, though, not a horrible experience, but Vista leaves me underwhelmed.
    - Steve

D300S, MB10, Nikon 18-70, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, Tamron 90mm macro, Tokina 11-16 2.8, SB800

http://www.justastateofmind.com
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Software: Adobe Lightroom 1.0, Image Editor 2.4.3, Paint Shop Pro Photo XI

All installed without any problems (and without running as admin).

I'll update this post as I use the programs.
  • Options
    jaymcjaymc Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2007
    Computer: HP Pavilion dv6275us notebook
    Nikon NX 1.1 works great.
    Adobe Lightroom 1.0 (tryout) works great.
    Opanda IExif Viewer works great with Firefox 2.0, but doesn't with Internet Explorer 7

- Jay thumb.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited February 21, 2007
    We're on a roll here! Keep them coming. And please don't forget to update your posts if something changes for the good or bad.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    We're on a roll here! Keep them coming. And please don't forget to update your posts if something changes for the good or bad.
    Microsoft has released a list of applications that have a "certified for Windows Vista logo" or "works with Windows Vista logo." I'm not sure what either of these two designations really mean--is this strictly technical or do marketing agreements also count? It is explained on the site, but I am not motivated enough at the moment to pay enough attention. rolleyes1.gif In any event, it is worth noting that no Adobe application is on either list at the moment. I don't know whether this matters much to any of us, but to me it suggests that you can expect nothing but finger pointing from both companies if you do have a problem. Here's the Microsoft link for anyone who wants more info.
  • Options
    PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    I'm in the process of downloading and installing Vista now....the downloading part at least. I'm not one to jump on a new software OS right off the bat, but I have had a dilemma for the past week. I moved my computer to another room and may have bumped some hardware in the process. I've checked and re-checked everything to find it in working order, but I keep getting the same error message about DirectX when I try to play a "heavy" game. I've been through just about every forum and trouble shooting method I can find to fix the problem and everything keeps pointing me back to a fresh install of windows. Well, here lies the dilemma: I lent my XP disc to my boss (don't tell Microsoft) and he destroyed it by accident. Since he is my boss, I brushed it off and would not accept him replacing it - I think that went a longer way than a replacement XP disc.

Anyway, I deduced that it was pointless to purchase another XP disc, so I took advantage of Microsoft's Digital Locker purchasing method and decided to upgrade. Yes, I am taking a risk on having the same problem persist and creating more......oh well.

So far, it has taken about 30 minutes to download 55% of the 2.43GB coming down the tube on a Cable connection. I'll report back when things are done and list issues. I already know there are a few drivers I have to update once the installation is done: 90% of which are iNvidia things.

I'll make a recommendation too: a bottle of wine and steak dinner help with this decision very much :D
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Capture One Pro (3.7.6) claimed that it was incompatible, but ran fine anyways. The card reader/importer sub-application seemed a little flaky - it could copy files off of the card just fine, but it seemed to occasionally forget to bring thise files into a new gallery.

The Pantone Huey app ran with no troubles.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    After 2 attempts I've reverted back to XP. It isn't Vista's fault. There is a driver (RealTek AC'97) that just won't come out of my computer, and Vista doesn't like it. I thought I'd gotten rid of it after the first time, but it is still around somewhere. I'll pick this back up over the weekend.

By the way, RealTek is also a NVidia driver, and the Vista tester will tell you can go through with the install, but as soon as you reboot your computer, after the install, it goes into a crash/restart loop. If you do a search for RealTek AC'97 uninstall you'll find countless threads complaining about this driver. I had no idea it was such a pain. Oh.....and RealTek is unreachable by phone.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    I had to dive into my bios to kill RealTek, but it is gone and everything is running well on Vista :ivar

I only had to download drivers from Nvidia (for dual monitor support) and upgrade iTunes. Everything else moved over seemlessly thumb.gif

Vista Observations: take the pre-configuration tool seriously. If you have anything showing with a yellow ! caution sign, fix it. I had a ton of questionable blue ? programs, but they're fine. Vista will run slow at first, but continuously get faster. After about 3 reboots I'm seeing an equal to almost faster operating experience than I did with XP. Things are better looking inside and many features are much more intuitive than they used to be. If a program is made for XP or an earlier Windows version you can hop into the Program Manager to set the parameters to make it work - very simple. Search is blazing fast! I never used it in XP because it was so slow, but I'll use it now.

I did an upgrade after reading a few articles about the way an upgrade installs. It now makes sense to do an upgrade, but I assume it is slightly better to still do a full install. I'm happy with just the upgrade, and I'm a pretty demanding user. The install only took about an hour, but I believe that may have to do with the fact that I have a dedicated operating/major program 10,000 RPM drive and a full on computer that Vista ranks as a 5.3 with many other portions rating higher.

The upgrade cost me $150 through Windows Marketplace and I didn't have to leave my house. The copy stays on an online harddrive for me, so I don't have to worry about losing a disk. I can also copy it to a DVD anytime I want.

If things go awry, I will report back. So far, I'm clap.gifand will probably purchase Office 2007 the same way.