Options

Advice needed re photos I took for a contact

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited March 22, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi guys

Just need some advice about some photos I took for someone. I'm currently involved with a local magazine acting as their photographer - no payment, but credits for my work. No problem for me there.

One of the people involved with the magazine gave me a ticket for free entry to a dance show where they were taking part. They wanted to me take some pics of the dance troop performing. No problem there. I said that I would upload the pics to a private gallery on Smugmug and the dancers could then order prints from there if they wanted.

However I saw the person the other day and they said 'could I burn the pics to disc as they couldn't handle downloading from my site'. I feel a bit uneasy about this, because I have no control over what happens to them, I would get no revenue from prints and it wasn't what I initially said. However it might mean losing the connection to the magazine, which would mean loss of a way of getting my work into print to try and build my porfolio.

Any suggestions please?

Nicola
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Easy.

"I'm sorry but like I as I had said originally the pictures can only be purchased from the website. If you would like a CD I can burn one for you but the fee for licensing will be $_____. As much as I would like to be able to donate my time I can't possible give all of my photo's away and work for free all the time, as I too have bills and family, let alone my own physical need to eat."
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    headscratch.gif I would imagine the best way (and I do this all of the time) is to provide them with a lo-rez CD with copywrite info on the images. Maybe sized to 4x5 at 72 dpi and explain that they are lo-rez. If they try to print larger than 4x5 they should get poor results. Just my thoughts.
    BSthumb.gif
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Yeah but the thing is, clients don't usually know the difference between low and hi res images. They will print anything and everything they can get their hands on. If you give them low res images and then they print crappy results well, that crappy result is what they're gonna be showing other people. aka. "prospective clients you just lost cause they think your photos look crappy"
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nicola,

Seems to me like you pidgeon holed yourself on this one.

You don't need a magazine to build a portfolio. You need a camera to build a portfolio. The only thing you can get out of shooting for a magazine is tear sheets. Which don't sell shots. They are more bragging rights unless you get into certain disciplines.

In your situation, I'd give them a proof cd w/ a big ol © on the center of all the shots. When they come back for the "originals", refer them to the website. If they get annoyed.... are these the people you want to do business w/ anyway?

You take good pictures. Stand behind them and make some profits off of them. This also makes it easier for the 1000's of photogs out there trying to make a living and competing w/ photogs that are giving their services away.

-Jon
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif with Jon on this. You're in business, not a charity. Respect your work and others will, and to the same extent.