Options

Inside the fence

HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited March 27, 2007 in Sports
I just scored my first trackside photo pass. :barb I'll be shooting a historic car race at VIR in a couple weeks.

Suwheeeeet. :D
Tim

Comments

• Options
    F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    I just scored my first trackside photo pass. wings.gif I'll be shooting a historic car race at VIR in a couple weeks.
    ...I love that feeling!
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Congratulations mate. I got my first historic last year & had a ball shooting them. What sort of classes are you looking at to get there ?
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Congrats you lucky dog! thumb.gif
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Congrats Tim thumb.gifthumb
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Congratulations mate. I got my first historic last year & had a ball shooting them. What sort of classes are you looking at to get there ?

There should be a pretty good variety of cars. I don't know what to expect exactly--I'm not sure how big of an event this is.

I'm stoked though: It'll be the first outing with my new 70-200/2.8 and I hope to scout some locations for the bike races later in the year.

0.1BA?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg
    Tim
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Congrats!

Have fun and be sure to share the pics when you get done!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I just scored my first trackside photo pass. wings.gif I'll be shooting a historic car race at VIR in a couple weeks.

Cool!

How'd you pull that off?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Cool!

How'd you pull that off?

I asked. :D

I sent an email to the track's PR director explaining my situation--aspiring freelancer, no media credentials--with a smuggy link to some pictures I've taken at VIR and he granted me a pass for this relatively small, amateur event. For the professional events I will need to have a letter of recommendation from a publication. That's the next step.
    Tim
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    I asked. :D

I sent an email to the track's PR director explaining my situation--aspiring freelancer, no media credentials--with a smuggy link to some pictures I've taken at VIR and he granted me a pass for this relatively small, amateur event. For the professional events I will need to have a letter of recommendation from a publication. That's the next step.
    clap.gif

Well, that's excellent! I wonder what the odds are that if they like your work and your behavior, they might grant you access to some events in the future? Be worth sending them a portfolio of your best shots from this event, maybe?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    clap.gif

Well, that's excellent! I wonder what the odds are that if they like your work and your behavior, they might grant you access to some events in the future? Be worth sending them a portfolio of your best shots from this event, maybe?

I do plan to send the PR director some samples of the weekend's work, as well as shop some of the images around to historic car mags. We'll see . . .
    Tim
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    I do plan to send the PR director some samples of the weekend's work, as well as shop some of the images around to historic car mags. We'll see . . .

Tim its a true wealth of shots avail with old race cars. Here is what i milked from my day if you are interested.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I wonder what the odds are that if they like your work and your behavior, they might grant you access to some events in the future?
    That's going to be the key. See if the track will put you in touch with whomever is in charge of the corner workers. Contact them ahead of time and ask if they have any requests of you as a photographer (where you should or should not be, do they want you to stay in earshot of their corner workers, etc...). If you seem genuine in your questions I'd bet they'll even tell you the best places to shoot from! Keep the corner workers happy and I doubt you'll have any trouble with future photo pass requests.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Tim its a true wealth of shots avail with old race cars. Here is what i milked from my day if you are interested.

I'm always interested. :D Love the "door slammer" shot! thumb.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    I'm always interested. :D Love the "door slammer" shot! thumb.gif
    That model car (in good cond) sells for up to $200 000 USD. Made & sold new here in the early 70's for $3000. Not many left.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    That was fun. :D

The weekend was a little disappointing (entrant turnout was very low) but I did get some valuable experience inside the fence and brought home some decent pics (I think). I also have some questions for the experts.

I'll start a new thread with the pics once I have them processed but here's a quickie I did this morning . . .

138749110-L.jpg
    Tim
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    thumb.gif I look forward to seeing them.
    Sid.
  • Options
    maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    We're all waiting you know wings.gif

Tim....

Andrew ;)
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar