Options

Zion & Bryce Canyon

behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
Hi all,
I'm going to Las Vegas for a trade show the 2nd week of May and plan on visiting Zion & Bryce. Problem is that this Thursday I'm having knee surgery. I should be fairly well healed by then but strenuous hiking will be out of the question. Will I be able to get to some nice vistas without much hiking? Are there some great vistas from the road?
Also recommendations on "must see" spots (that I can get to) will be greatly appreciated.

Bear

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    At Bryce, Inspriation point is nice for sunrise. This is just a short, paved walk from the parking lot.

EDIT: Or is that Bryce point? Who remembers where we shot the sunrise that morning on the last shootout? I'm thinking it was Bryce Point.

71902046-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Hey Behr, in 2006 we had the Dgrin Shootout there. Plug

bryce zion

into the Dgrin search box and you'll come up with 4 pages of great threads thumb.gif

Once you've looked through, holler back with your specific questions.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    behr655 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I'm going to Las Vegas for a trade show the 2nd week of May and plan on visiting Zion & Bryce. Problem is that this Thursday I'm having knee surgery. I should be fairly well healed by then but strenuous hiking will be out of the question. Will I be able to get to some nice vistas without much hiking? Are there some great vistas from the road?

Bear

Yes.

Zion has a regular shuttle bus that runs through the park. Short walks will take you to interesing spots. I enjoyed going to the end of the line and shooting the water.

Bryce has lovely vistas of the hoodoos right next to the parking lot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    I'll check out those threads Andy. Thanks

Bear
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Yeah...
    wxwax wrote:
    ...Zion has a regular shuttle bus that runs through the park. Short walks will take you to interesing spots. I enjoyed going to the end of the line and shooting the water...

Just take a "short walk" over here:
    125577799-L.jpg

and you'll get your "water shot":
    125581226-L.jpg

Both are great places. Enjoy! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Just take a "short walk" over here:
    125577799-L.jpg

and you'll get your "water shot":
    125581226-L.jpg

Both are great places. Enjoy! thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gifLaughing.gif, yep, it's "only" a half-mile. For those who have not been there, that first shot is from Scout's Lookout (what, a 2 1/2 mile hike, climbing about 2000feet) looking towards Angel's Landing and the scary ridge is the "trail" which gets you to shot #2. Went there with a P&S, want to go back with the 20D & Mamiya. I love the "warning, strenuous walk" sign up there--talk about understatement!

Seriously, there are many nice, short paved walks (I refuse to call them "hikes") from the shuttle at Zion with good photo ops. You can also drive out the East side for some more good stuff. Ay Bryce, you have Sunrise Point and Sunset Point bracketing the top of the main bowl right past the main lodge. With knoee surgery, you unfortuantely should avoid the wonderful Queen's Garden trail starting & ending at those places--once you're there you will understand why. There are many stop-offs along the highway heading south from the lodge for photo ops.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    Thanks everyone. I've check out some old threads (thanks Andy) and have many more to check. It looks like I might be able to get some good shots after all. Well, have the opportunity for good shots anyway. rolleyes1.gif:D

Bear
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    behr655 wrote:
    Hi all,
    Also recommendations on "must see" spots (that I can get to) will be greatly appreciated.

Bear

Bear-

I am about to finish my trip that included Bryce, Zion, and a few others.

You will not have any problems at Bryce- except for Inspiration Point or if you decide to try hike any of the trails. Sunset Point, Bryce Point, Rainbow Point, and the Natural Bridge are all easy walk up vistas. Sunrise is best for photography but you can get a few sunset shots at Rainbow Point. Better yet go down the road to Red Canyon for Sunset- the colors are similar though not as dramatic hoodos and it faces both east and west.

Zion has weeping rock which is only a 1/4 mile or so and a 98ft elevation change. There is also the river walk at the end of the road which is a fairly easy paved path.

You may also look into the valley of fire just out side of Vegas- not a bad little park.

I have been trying to go through my shots each night so I should have some up by Wednesday in Field & Street and a Journey thread.

If you do not already have one get a National Parks Pass $80 for a year. It is worth the money when you consider Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon are $25 each.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:

I have been trying to go through my shots each night so I should have some up by Wednesday in Field & Street and a Journey thread.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. I'll keep an eye out for your shots.
    In my searching I came across Valley of Fire. It looks interesting and probably will check it out.

Bear
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Court of the Patriarchs
    The Court of the Patriarchs is right by the road.
    Great for an early morning shoot.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited March 21, 2007
    You may not have any trouble finding stuff to shoot. Even from the road.

Enjoy yourself and good luck with the surgery!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited March 21, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    EDIT: Or is that Bryce point? Who remembers where we shot the sunrise that morning on the last shootout? I'm thinking it was Bryce Point.

Yes, it was Bryce Point, David. Not the shortest walk from the parking lot, but not what I'd call a hike, either. Well worth the walk, as it offers one of the grandest views of the place.
    bryce_point_sunrise.jpg
    72520872-L.jpg

Behr, hope the operation goes well and you're on your feet soon and able to fully enjoy the parks. They're not something to miss.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    All,
    Thanks for all the well wishes.
    I had my surgery yesterday and I am pleased that it came out so well. There is not much pain and I can walk on it already. I'm thinking I won't be as restricted as I thought I would be. No serious hiking but long walks should be ok I hope. Now if I can just do something about the time restrictions I will be dealing with.
    Again, thank you all for the well wishes and great info.

Bear