Options

Dumb Question time

heymarzheymarz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited March 24, 2007 in Finishing School
Does anyone know where I can get CS2 without paying 500 bucks? I used it in school and loved it, but being in "broke student mode", I can't afford to buy it at the full price.

Anybody?:bow

Comments

• Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Adobe used to offer a teacher/student discounts. Check with Adobe to see if the discount is still in place and how to partake in said discount. It was a significant savings.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    PS- There are no dumb questions ....
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    PS- There are no dumb questions ....
    Why do 24/7 shops have door locks then ?
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    What color is an orange?
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    heymarz wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can get CS2 without paying 500 bucks? I used it in school and loved it, but being in "broke student mode", I can't afford to buy it at the full price.

Anybody?bowdown.gif

You can try http://www.academicsuperstore.com if you are still in school or have a kid in school you can get the discount.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Adobe frequently offers 50-percent off discounts too. I got one with a Wacom tablet recently. This topic comes up a fair bit over at dpreview on the retouching forum too-- lot of folks there will post deals on PSCS when they see them.

But what I'm wondering is where I can get a copy of the non-beta CS3? :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    heymarz wrote:

Anybody?bowdown.gif

I really like Porsche's, but I don't got no money. Where cen I gets one?

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    I really like Porsche's, but I don't got no money. Where cen I gets one?

Sam

Are you a student?
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007
    I was able to purchase Adobe's Creative Suite since I work for a non-profit. The discount wasn't as deep as the educational versions, but it was far less than full retail.

Many related products, such as graphic tablets, offer Adobe discount coupon codes for PS. So if you might be in the market for one of those, then that might be worth consideration.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    heymarz wrote:

Anybody?bowdown.gif

This may sound stupid, but what do you want to use CS2 for? Depending on what your needs are, you may not need CS2 and could use something else that is cheaper to obtain.

I am using Bibble Pro for RAW editing, and while I have Photoshop 7, I also wind up using Gimp for a number of things. The only thing Gimp isn't as good as Photoshop 7 at is text layout, that is what I keep Photoshop 7 around for.

And if you don't want to pay for Bibble Pro, you can use ufraw on linux, or lightzone, they both are free as in beer.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Beer is free? Where have I been?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Beer is free? Where have I been?

My guess, in line paying for it hahaha. Thanks for the free beer sid!!!mwink.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Why do 24/7 shops have door locks then ?

lol believe it or not my uncle owns a 7-11 franchise and I used to work for him in high school. The reason is if the store get's robbed you are requierd to lock the place up.

Or you really really have to go wee wee and you'er the only one in the store. ne_nau.gif
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    gmonkeh wrote:
    lol believe it or not my uncle owns a 7-11 franchise and I used to work for him in high school. The reason is if the store get's robbed you are requierd to lock the place up.

Or you really really have to go wee wee and you'er the only one in the store. ne_nau.gif

Don't forget zombie infestations. A lock, even a simple one can keep most of them at bay just pawing at the locked door. That could buy you many hours. :D
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Are you a student?

And this should matter how? We (at least most of us) have limited funds. We make choices where to spend those funds. To spend these funds in your area of choice does not in my opinion give anyone the right to cry poor, to elicit sympathy.

The OP didn’t say he couldn’t afford CS2, and ask if there were less expensive software options. He didn’t ask if anyone knew the best place to buy CS2 at the best price. He cried poor student.

Oh, for the record, good choice! Stay in school, worry about high-end things later.

Sam
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    And this should matter how? We (at least most of us) have limited funds. We make choices where to spend those funds. To spend these funds in your area of choice does not in my opinion give anyone the right to cry poor, to elicit sympathy.

The OP didn’t say he couldn’t afford CS2, and ask if there were less expensive software options. He didn’t ask if anyone knew the best place to buy CS2 at the best price. He cried poor student.

Oh, for the record, good choice! Stay in school, worry about high-end things later.

Sam

Sam,

Lighten up. The OP asked for ideas on how to get CS2 below retail. Gary was just finding out if he was eligible for an educational discount.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    Sam wrote:

Sam

I think what he meant was that students generally can get a discount. not that being a student was bad or anything like that (*not* a Seinfeld reference BTW mwink.gif).
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sam,

Lighten up. The OP asked for ideas on how to get CS2 below retail. Gary was just finding out if he was eligible for an educational discount.

I was not responding to the op’s wanting to get CS2 at the best price or Gary’s response about a student discount. Nothing wrong with looking for the best price, and unless your Bill Gates, or a rich famous wedding photographer. :D (Shay that’s a smilie face, meaning meant in jest, not serious, joke, etc.) It’s a smart thing to do. Gary’s response with regard to student discounts is certainly appropriate.

I responded to, first the op’s “poor student” comment, and then to Gary’s comment indicating, at least to me, I couldn’t respond if I weren’t a student.

I don’t know the op, and have nothing against him or students in general.

BUT, I am tired of hearing of the poor student thing, and stand by it. Many crying “poor student” are attending Stanford, or other expensive universities, costing more than many make in a year. I find to then cry about being a “poor student” to be appalling, and hypocritical.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    ...or a rich famous wedding photographer. :D

Sweeeeet! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    gmonkeh wrote:

Im ...err sorry mate.....

..but i wasnt serious eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Im ...err sorry mate.....

..but i wasnt serious eek7.gif

Oh great, now my comment about zombies makes me look like an idiot! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    Oh great, now my comment about zombies makes me look like an idiot! rolleyes1.gif
    Well now that you mention it...they dont eat or sleep do they ? So how can they be real. Maybe you could put a sticker on them...?
  • Options
    heymarzheymarz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Wow, didn't mean to start a sh*t storm, just looking to save some money. I had no clue prior to this thread, that there was such a thing as a student discount. So I learned something, I am a student afterall.rolleyes1.gif

And to be perfectly clear, I said broke, not poor student. Oh, and I go full time to a community college for now, on to undergrad in the fall.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    I responded to, first the op’s “poor student” comment, and then to Gary’s comment indicating, at least to me, I couldn’t respond if I weren’t a student.

Actually I was asking to see if you were eligible for a student discount ... aka the op ... I really think it's a pretty far stretch that you thought I was questioning your response qualifications ...

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed