Options

Denali - Advice/Recommendations for Wildlife Photography Needed

ccraftccraft Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
I'm planning a summer vacation to Denali, but the only thing that concerns me is that it looks like you have to take a bus to actually approach the inside of the park (since there's only one road and cars aren't permitted).

I'm primarily interested in wildlife photography -- being able to hang out in one place for a long time to shoot wild animals against incredible backdrops is always a thrill. With this in mind, does anyone have any advice or recommendations for making the most out of a photography visit to the area?

Our other alternative is to drive up to Stewart/Hyder Alaska/BC where the grizzlies congregate at the river during salmon season. We're guaranteed photo ops with some huge grizzlies... but there's something a bit more appealing about rugget mountain peaks.

Any advice/recommendations for photographing the area/getting set up/where to camp/how to visit would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Christina Craft - FunkyTown Photography
portrait and wedding photographer Victoria BC
C-2529 Vancouver St, Victoria · 360-775-2539

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    ccraft wrote:
    I'm planning a summer vacation to Denali, but the only thing that concerns me is that it looks like you have to take a bus to actually approach the inside of the park (since there's only one road and cars aren't permitted).

I'm primarily interested in wildlife photography -- being able to hang out in one place for a long time to shoot wild animals against incredible backdrops is always a thrill. With this in mind, does anyone have any advice or recommendations for making the most out of a photography visit to the area?

Our other alternative is to drive up to Stewart/Hyder Alaska/BC where the grizzlies congregate at the river during salmon season. We're guaranteed photo ops with some huge grizzlies... but there's something a bit more appealing about rugget mountain peaks.

Any advice/recommendations for photographing the area/getting set up/where to camp/how to visit would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    The rules in the park are very strict you have to take the bus. It does stop but photo ops are few and far between. Getting out of the bus and waiting for another I am not sure you can do that but with the grizzly around you way want to think that over. I would not miss going on the bus tour it is great and go all the way to the top [they a few shorter trips] but at the top they say you can shoot .The other places you talk about will be my next trip --good luck
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/