My first 4x5 Polaroids

padupadu Casual PhotographerPosts: 191Registered Users Major grins
edited March 23, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
A few months ago I started purchasing equipment to start taking large format pictures (4x5 film). I ended up buying a calumet view camera and a Schneider Symmar 180mm,315mm lens. Since the probability of screwing something on the first shots, I decided to start taking polaroids.

Bought a box of type 54 (BW) and start shooting my family in my studio... let me share with you the first fruits of my new passion.


My wife. The thing on her nose was a dirt spot on the roller of the polaroid 545 film holder. I cleaned that for the other pictures.
137904777-L.jpg


My daughter. A little bit underexposed.
137904801-L.jpg


Myself. Looking at the polaroids, this is the better exposed of them all.137905098-L.jpg


My dog Negao.
137910316-L.jpg


I've scanned these with a super cheap canon lide25 scan. A better scan is in my "to buy" list, but for now it's enough.


I have to say that shooting with a view camera is way different from the digital. The process is much longer, and you really have to pay attention to all the steps, otherwise you'll just loose film. I won't retire my digital, but I'm hooked with this thing now.

For those of you who like very high megapixels, you can scan a 4x5 negative at around 200MP!
http://padu.merlotti.com
http://padu.smugmug.com
www.merlotti.com
Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera

Comments

  • cletuscletus Master of Craposition Posts: 1,928Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Good for you!

    Working with a large format camera is a great way to improve your photographic eye.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Have PASSPORT will TRAVEL WICHITA, KS USAPosts: 8,959Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Good shots.....so when is the scan back going to arrive for that thing....just think you could put everyone to shame just with MP's let alone the actual resolution you could command.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

  • padupadu Casual Photographer Posts: 191Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Good shots.....so when is the scan back going to arrive for that thing....just think you could put everyone to shame just with MP's let alone the actual resolution you could command.

    I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that digital backs for 4x5's are like scanners (linear CCD's that scan the area) instead of an array of sensors. I can see the economics on why it would be like that. If that's true, it would certainly limit the type of photography you can take with those cameras (which is already limited).

    For my level of photography, it would take years to even the investment on a digital back compared to film+scan.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • SkippySkippy Forensic Wannabe Posts: 12,075Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    padu wrote:
    A few months ago I started purchasing equipment to start taking large format pictures (4x5 film). I ended up buying a calumet view camera and a Schneider Symmar 180mm,315mm lens. Since the probability of screwing something on the first shots, I decided to start taking polaroids.

    Bought a box of type 54 (BW) and start shooting my family in my studio... let me share with you the first fruits of my new passion.
    My wife. The thing on her nose was a dirt spot on the roller of the polaroid 545 film holder. I cleaned that for the other pictures.
    My daughter. A little bit underexposed.
    Myself. Looking at the polaroids, this is the better exposed of them all.
    My dog Negao.
    I've scanned these with a super cheap canon lide25 scan. A better scan is in my "to buy" list, but for now it's enough.
    I have to say that shooting with a view camera is way different from the digital. The process is much longer, and you really have to pay attention to all the steps, otherwise you'll just loose film. I won't retire my digital, but I'm hooked with this thing now.
    For those of you who like very high megapixels, you can scan a 4x5 negative at around 200MP!


    This is where the expense comes in, the fact that you have to use film that cannot be re-used, in order to see the actual image after it's been taken.

    Not a lot of room for error is there with this type of photography.

    We will be looking forward to seeing your work,
    as you get more acquainted with your setup.
    Thank you for sharing you passion for photography with us. :D
    ....... Skippy
    .
    .
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

    ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

    :skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • padupadu Casual Photographer Posts: 191Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    This is where the expense comes in, the fact that you have to use film that cannot be re-used, in order to see the actual image after it's been taken.

    Not a lot of room for error is there with this type of photography.

    We will be looking forward to seeing your work,
    as you get more acquainted with your setup.
    Thank you for sharing you passion for photography with us. :D
    ....... Skippy
    .

    Some view that expense as an attractive. To be forced to think your photo thoroughly before clicking the shutter. Remains to be seen.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • SystemSystem Posts: 8,192Registered Users moderator
    edited March 23, 2007
    neat-

    good luck with your endeavor-
Sign In or Register to comment.