Options

Beijing China

smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited March 24, 2007 in Journeys
In November of 2005 my husband and I with two of our good friends set off to discover China. It was by far the strangest place I have ever been but also one of the most fun.

The first day we ventured into the Forbidden City. This place is so enormous you can't even imagine what it must have been like to live there.

45877253-M.jpg

This is the digital map you have to carry around with you to keep from getting lost.

45877244-M-1.jpg

Tiananmen Square sits right in front of the Forbidden City which boasts a photo of Chairman Mao. We also got the opportunity to view his preserved dead body but photographs are strictly prohibited.

45877228-M.jpg

45873317-S.jpg48138666-S.jpg45985245-S.jpg

We noticed that the Chinese when they pose for photos, they look very serious and then they smile and laugh afterwards. My husband (on right) is demonstrating.

45873405-M.jpg

Michelle and I liked that all the doors are mini sized like us.

45873340-M.jpg

45877243-M.jpg

48138692-M.jpg

Breakfast at Grandma's (American) kitchen was a nice change of pace from the Chinese mystery food.

46628015-M.jpg

This is the entrance point for the MuTianYu Great Wall. From here you take a ski lift up to the top and a toboggon slide down .

46289734-M.jpg

Me in Bj on the lift; Michelle and Mike behind us.

46289728-S.jpg46289705-S.jpg

The size and space that The Great Wall encompases is truly breathtaking and impossible to capture in a photograph.

122991390-M.jpg

64128771-S.jpg92782329-S-1.jpg

45873386-S.jpg

Of course after we took this photo they were expecting money... but it was worth it I think.

45877259-M.jpg

I love how the english language gets lost in translation.

92782524-M.jpg

Exasperation is the only word that fits this...

45985249-M.jpg

Hutongs in Beijing are alleyways formed by lines of siheyuan. Most of the civilian parts of Beijing was formed by joining up one siheyuan to another, which in turn led to joining up one hutong to another, and eventually forming the capital.
In old China, there was a clear definition for a street or a lane -- its width. Hutongs were often no wider than 9 metres. To this day, many hutongs remain narrow through ways in Beijing. Sometimes, an alley will be no wider than 3 or 4 metres, and some are so narrow that even a compact motorised vehicle cannot pass through them! These hutongs are slowly being replaced with modern high rises and eliminating much of the culture that has survived centuries.

51637584-S.jpg51637600-S.jpg

51637846-M.jpg

51637939-S.jpg

The Temple of Heaven

86498707-M.jpg

We went to the Lama Temple where the largest Buddha statue in the world exists. The Yonghe Temple, also known as the "Palace of Peace and Harmony Lama Temple", the "Yonghe Lamasery", or - popularly - the "Lama Temple" is a temple and monastery of the Geluk School of Tibetan Buddhism located in the northeastern part of Beijing, China. It is one of the largest and most important Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in the world. The building and the artworks of the temple combine Han Chinese and Tibetan styles.

93120243-M.jpg

The Summer Palace was absolutely the most beautiful thing we got to see.

92807044-S.jpg93123278-S.jpg

93124556-S.jpg51677962-S.jpg

93121375-S.jpg

Its not at all uncommon to see workers sleeping on the job due to the extremely long hours they work.

93123626-M.jpg

Some Chinese beer, one very scary Chinese Wasp and the Great Wall.

86499877-S.jpg

McD's in Beijing, gotta love those pants.

47731088-S.jpg47731086-S.jpg

The unveiling of the characters for the 2008 olympics took place while we were there. My friend and I were actually on TV because they were looking for people who spoke english to promote the fact that Beijing speaks english... (they don't for the most part). The guy had us hold up olympic merchandise and say "2008 olympics in Beijing". It was hysterical! Too bad we don't have a photo of them filming us, that would be great.

47731091-S.jpg47731092-S.jpg

The dirt market was one of my favorites in Beijing. Its outdoors and they sold lots of original arts and antiques. Very cool.

47731104-S.jpg47731102-S.jpg

Again the translation.

47731095-S.jpg47731097-S.jpg
Shawna
www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    ***If your viewing now this post is incomplete, please check back in a few days. Thanks!****
    In November of 2005 my husband and I with two of our good friends set off to discover China. It was by far the strangest place I have ever been but also one of the most fun.
    The first day we ventured into the Forbidden City. This place is so enormous you can't even imagine what it must have been like to live there.
    This is the digital map you have to carry around with you to keep from getting lost.
    Tiananmen Square sits right in front of the Forbidden City which boasts a photo of Chairman Mao. We also got the opportunity to view his preserved dead body but photographs are strictly prohibited.
    We noticed that the Chinese when they pose for photos, they look very serious and then they smile and laugh afterwards. My husband (on right) is demonstrating.
    Michelle and I liked that all the doors are mini sized like us.
    Breakfast at Grandma's (American) kitchen was a nice change of pace from the Chinese mystery food.
    This is the entrance point for the MuTianYu Great Wall. From here you take a ski lift up to the top and a toboggon slide down .
    Me in Bj on the lift; Michelle and Mike behind us.

Hi there, looks like you guys had a great time in China :D
    I love the roofs on their buildings, the tiles and their use of bamboo too.
    We can learn so much from visiting other countries, it's nice to know about other cultures.

Well as long as the Chinese Mystery Food didn't make you sick,
    I'm sure it was quite an experience to even wonder what it was before it was put in the pot rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing your Travel Shots :D ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    ne_nau.gif Skippy
    If you've got to ask or wonder what goes into the pot.
    Then you're not hungry ENOUGH! headscratch.gif BS
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    ne_nau.gif Skippy
    If you've got to ask or wonder what goes into the pot.
    Then you're not hungry ENOUGH! headscratch.gif BS

Narrrrr sometimes knowing whats in the pot can save you getting violently ill, and some countries do not have great medical fascilities to help you.

Choose wisely is what I'd prefer to do :D .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Narrrrr sometimes knowing whats in the pot can save you getting violently ill, and some countries do not have great medical fascilities to help you.

Choose wisely is what I'd prefer to do :D .... Skippy

Oh I agree... I got violently ill in Mexico more than one time and my friend was so sick on the way home from Beijing that she spent 12 hours gagging in business class the whole way home! (she ate the famous greasy duck) Not fun being sick that far from home.
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• Options
    edited March 21, 2007
    Please enjoy
    The pics have all been posted now. I hope you enjoy them.
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Great photos Shawna! China does intimidate me, in it's size and language and especially how different it is there. But it looks like you had a great time (food poisoning aside), and I really really love that photo of the worker sleeping on the bench. Wonderful lighting there!
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Great photos Shawna! China does intimidate me, in it's size and language and especially how different it is there. But it looks like you had a great time (food poisoning aside), and I really really love that photo of the worker sleeping on the bench. Wonderful lighting there!

Believe me it is intimidating if you don't speak Chinese. It is a major barrier. However if you go prepared it is truly amazing. The most rewarding trip I have taken!
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com