Options

Ugly Bird, Harry can you ID?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited January 21, 2005 in Wildlife
14533071-L.jpg

Harry, do you know, of course you do, I will get a book, if I can't find mine by next week, but do you know what kind of bird this is, besides ugly and in an ugly environment. He was so well camoflaged I have named him Waldo.

Yes, it was all shot RAW.

Where he stayed til it was really dark, that is why the photo is so bad, the top one. It was dark, the eye is defined, but there was not enough light to give the photo any color. I have figured out that even if I had a tripod, I need light to take a photo, the light has to be somewhere.

The one below is where I first saw him, that was at the end of a 300 lens that had no idea what to focus on, and I couldn't do much better.

g

14533626-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    That ain't no ugly bird that's the Great Blue Heron. Its body length is 46-52 inches and its wingspan goes 77-82 inches. BTW my development where I live is called Herons Landing.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,751 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    "heron"
    Aha, that's what they are called in english. I know the name in dutch (reiger), but just wanted to look it up in my english dictionary.

In the area where I live (near the river Schelde) are a lot of herons. As well as the blue as the grey ones. Ever since fish returned to the river, the population of herons grows every year.

This location of this pictures is about fifteen minutes on foot of my house. One morning my brother counted twenty of them.

14107899-L.jpg
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    2 birds I dream of getting picks of....
    Green Heron and the infamious Pathonatory Warbler!!

Now the Pathornatory Warbler is a RARE sight here in upstate NY.
    To get a photo to verify it would be something!!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/