Options

Guizhou Province, China -- Part One (large post)

Mary SueMary Sue Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 26, 2007 in Journeys
My husband and I moved to Shanghai a couple of years ago for work, and have made an effort to explore China as much as possible. One of my absolute favorites is Guizhou province, in the southwest of China. I am particularly interested in China's ethnic minority groups -- the traditional costumes and festivals are just fantastic.

We flew from Shanghai to Guizhou on a Friday in early September. We drove out to Jichang Village which was ~ 1 hour outside of the city of Guiyang. Our guide describes this village as "Old Han" -- the Han people themselves aren't a minority (over 90% of China's population describe themselves as Han) but this village still wears the traditional Han-style dress.

130677586-M.jpg

130677695-M.jpg

The town has a "ground opera" performance group -- "ground" referring to the fact that it's not performed on stage. Everyone sits around in a circle and the men perform.

131105691-M.jpg

I get the feeling everyone has seen this story before!

131178928-M.jpg

After the opera (and requisite purchase of a souvenir opera mask, complete with real human hair for the beard) we drove back to Guiyang to overnight. The next morning we got up and drove out towards Xiaba village to hike and then stopped to eat lunch in Xiaba itself. It was market day so everyone was out to do their shopping, socializing, and in some cases, engage in some theraputic blood-letting. We were told it was helpful for getting rid of the "bad blood". Ooof.

96042368-M.jpg

We hiked on through the Damochang Valley, passing numerous traditional Miao (an ethnic minority) houses.

96042363-M.jpg

The people in the area supplement their farming income by making ancestor paper. I'm a little vague on the details but it involves grinding bamboo into pulp, then mixing with water and some hemp fiber to make a slurry. It's spread onto a screen, the excess water is pressed out, then hung to dry. They cut it into pieces and then sell it to people who burn it to honor their ancestors.

96046068-M.jpg

My husband giving it a try, with dismal results:

96042369-M.jpg

The next morning we hiked for a bit and then drove to Kaili where we were lucky enough to drive past an enormous performance featuring different minorities.
I :lust their costumes.

Miao:
96046083-M.jpg

Another sub-group of Miao:
96046085-M.jpg

Basha:
96052048-M.jpg

A different sub-group of Miao:

96052053-M.jpg

Geija:

96052078-M.jpg

Overnight in Kaili and then on to Xijiang and Paika village....

Xijiang is the largest Miao village in the area. It was harvest time so everyone was hanging corn from the eaves to dry. This is a typical house in the village.

96052068-M.jpg

Walking throught the village, we met these two fellas who I refer to as "Lunch" and "Dinner" as dogs are just another protein source for people in this area. I'm told it's very delicious but I just can't get used to the idea -- just my own issues with cultural relativism.....

96052061-M.jpg

We drove on towards Paika village. It was REALLY hot that day so all the kids and water buffalo were having a swim in the river. Upon arrival in Paika, we joined the kids also in the river for swim/bath.

96052088-M.jpg

An example of the water wheels used to irrigate the rice fields in Paika:

96052101-M.jpg

We stayed over night with a family in Paika. It was my birthday so we had many toasts with home made rice wine. Our guide was concerned as the only way to access the outhouse was to walk along the top of a rice paddy. He was concerned that we'd get so likkered up we would fall into the rice paddy on the way to the loo. Our host's suggestion was to just use the canal behind the house if necessary overnight. Speaking of outhouses, I was intrigued by the basket of STICKS left for use, in lieu of toilet paper. We were told that toilet paper is expensive so they use the sticks. My husband did note that our host had money for beer and cigarettes -- it all comes down to priorities!

We rounded out a trip with a visit to Shidong to see how the Miao silver ornaments are made and a visit in Tanglong to meet a women incredibly skilled in traditional embroidery skills:

Shidong:
96072789-M.jpg

Tanglong:

96042374-M.jpg

We drove back through Kaili where we had our final lunch together featuring a local delicacy of ground wasp larvae:

96069994-M.jpg

This is my husband enjoying a particularly plump one:

96069987-S.jpg

Thanks for reading to the end!

-- Mary Sue

Comments

• Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Lovely sidelighting on #1, esp with the dark background. The others are great too, you're really privileged to see and record these pics. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    methdmethd Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2007
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 16, 2007
    96042368-M.jpg
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. nod.gif
  • Options
    SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Sounds like a fascinating trip in a wonderful part of China.

I love this close up of the embroidered sleeve.
    96042374-M.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    clap.gif

Great pics, and thanks for taking us all with you.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Great shots. Love the color and the pop.
    Too bad about the dogs, but yeah, dogs are protein. The larvae look interesting as well.
    I think the shot with the needlelss syringes is just another form of cupping, where a bulb is heated and then placed on the skin, as the air cools it produces suction and give giant hickies. Traditional medicine in China and other places, I think.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    Thanks for looking!
    Tee Why wrote:
    I think the shot with the needlelss syringes is just another form of cupping, where a bulb is heated and then placed on the skin, as the air cools it produces suction and give giant hickies. Traditional medicine in China and other places, I think.

Instead of needles, there is a piece of broken glass in the base of the syringe, so they do actually draw blood. Out of the shot is a basin with blood in it. The practice is really horrifying given the huge problem with AIDS.

msf
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    mary sue,

really enjoyed your post. thanks!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Thank you for bringing such a change of culture to all of us! It's not every day that people like me get to see the nuances of a place as diverse and traditional as China.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Great series Mary Sue thankyou for showing us. I was on a deployment in guizhou in '84. The food was a pretty huge learning curve but the people were fantastic. I still have a lot of local crafts from there laying about the house. The local alcohol in the white clay bottles was a very aquired taste.

I had a brand new canon T50 back then (and an old AE-1) & i must say your colour & compositions leave my photos of the place for dead.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Gosh, the first two portraits have wonderful light and really tell a story. Very nice!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    Thanks for all the comments!
    They are all appreciated -- I just got my first SLR about 9 months ago and have been lurking here for a while, trying to learn as much as possible.

Next week I am dragging my long-suffering husband back to Guizhou as there is a festival I want to photograph. Hopefully I'll get some good shots to post!

-- Mary Sue
  • Options
    SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Great trip and documentation. Thanks for taking us along thumb.gif
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams