Options

Some help with keyword searching

mhilbushmhilbush Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited March 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm having some trouble using the keyword search feature. Is there something wrong with the following URL that would cause the keyworded photos to not appear? I'm seeing bahavior that I really don't understand. I hope the explanation below makes sense. If not, let me know if I left out any important details.

- Sometimes it takes a VERY long time (easily over 1 minute) for the results page to load completely. The first two sections of the page load fast (i.e. the "keywords matching" and "galleries matching" sections), but the third section of the results page (i.e. "photos matching") takes a long time to load.

- Once the "photos matching" section of the page does load, it shows no photos, even though my site has photos containing these keywords. Not only that, the 2 keywords in the URL below (i.e. fallball and hilbush) appear in the "keywords matching" section of the results page).

http://hilbush.smugmug.com/search/index.mg?searchWords=fallball+hilbush&searchType=InUser&NickName=hilbush

One other confusing point. The following URL does return the photos in question.

http://hilbush.smugmug.com/keyword/hilbush-fallball

Thanks for the help!
Mark
Mark

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Within your site, hilbush is unneeded...

trying falball, I get these results, really fast.

http://hilbush.smugmug.com/keyword/fallball
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Within your site, hilbush is unneeded...
    Ok. Just so I'm clear, are you saying that &Nickname=hilbush is unneeded. Or, the whole thing starting at &SearchType=...?
    Andy wrote:
    trying falball, I get these results, really fast.

http://hilbush.smugmug.com/keyword/fallball
    So do I when I run that URL. But what about the behavior of the first URL in my original post? Why does it take so long, then not return any photos?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2006
    I've browsed to other members sites and have attempted keyword searches. The result is the same -- a very long running search (sometimes over 100 sec), which results in no images found even though the member clearly has galleries containing images with the keyword.

Is anyone else seeing this? At this point, I'm really starting to question my sanity. ne_nau.gif

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2006
    mhilbush wrote:
    I've browsed to other members sites and have attempted keyword searches. The result is the same -- a very long running search (sometimes over 100 sec), which results in no images found even though the member clearly has galleries containing images with the keyword.

Is anyone else seeing this? At this point, I'm really starting to question my sanity. ne_nau.gif

Mark
    Hi Mark,
    I've asked for some help on this, stay tuned.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2006
    Thanks!
    Mark
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    Im having the same keyword search problem, it takes along time with no results, and if I get results Im getting another persons photos. (which Im surprised happened to be taken at the same function!)
    Unless I have my keywords not right.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    This problem appears to be back. This is obviously very frustrating for people who want to search my site for specific photos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    Even when this works (which is not often the case) it is painfully slow. It is not uncommon for me to see 30 seconds or longer response times on keyword searches. Can you PLEASE look into this?
    Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    warrenwarren Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Same here for all of the above.
    • very slow searches, a few minutes to 10+ minutes.
    • never returns any of my pictures eventhough my keywords are listed in my top 100 keywords section of my control panel. I made up unique, nonsensical keywords and caption words which no one else should have, (unless they have really bad spelling).
    • either returns nothing or other people's pictures which are credited as being my pictures.

The search function has never worked for me since I started last month.

cheers,
    warren
    Smugmug page is at Toronto photographer
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Here's a little more info about the behavior I'm seeing:

- The first time I search on a keyword, I'll either get no thumbs returned, or the search will take a very long time (> 30 seconds).
    - If the first search returned a result, any subsequent search returns quickly.

Note that the photos containing the keywords from my original post are no longer on Smugmug, so accessing those URLs will yield no search results. Also, given the behavior I just cited above, it's pointless for me to post any other URLs, since the search will complete normally on all searches except for the first one.

[rant on]
    I'd really like to see this problem fixed permanently. I tag my sports photos with the players' last names, so that the parents can easily find all the photos containing their son/daughter. It looks pretty bad for all of us if searching doesn't work reliably and quickly.
    [rant off]

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    All my search problems seem to be fixed! Thank you to the mystery behind-the-scenes person.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Yes, I would agree. It's working much better now.
    Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    All the same search problems are back again.

Warren
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    warren wrote:
    All the same search problems are back again.

Warren
    Hi Warren, could you be more specific please for us, so we can help? Thanks -

Andy
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    Searching from my homepage or from within any of my gallery pages

• very slow searches, from a few minutes to 10+ minutes.
    • never returns any of my pictures.
    • either returns nothing or only other people's pictures which are credited as being my pictures.

cheers,
    warren
    edited March 25, 2007
    Warren's correct. Keyword searching is broken again. As Warren says, the searches are VERY slow. Unlike Warren, however, the photos returned from my searches are what I expect (i.e. only my photos containing the keyword(s) on which I searched).

At the time of this post, my searches are averaging between 1 & 2 MINUTES. Who's gonna wait a couple minutes to get search results? Certainly none of the people with whom I share photos! I'd really like to see you put in a permanent fix for this problem, because what you're doing now isn't getting the job done.

Sorry for the strong language, but I'm growing frustrated with the lack of a long-term solution to this problem.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    mhilbush wrote:
    Sorry for the strong language, but I'm growing frustrated with the lack of a long-term solution to this problem.

Mark
    Hi Mark, I'll ask the SmugSorcerers, what's up?
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    mhilbush wrote:
    Warren's correct. Keyword searching is broken again. As Warren says, the searches are VERY slow. Unlike Warren, however, the photos returned from my searches are what I expect (i.e. only my photos containing the keyword(s) on which I searched).

At the time of this post, my searches are averaging between 1 & 2 MINUTES. Who's gonna wait a couple minutes to get search results? Certainly none of the people with whom I share photos! I'd really like to see you put in a permanent fix for this problem, because what you're doing now isn't getting the job done.

Mark
    Mark - try again now pls :)

Onethumb has done some more SmugSorcery and things are quite fast now!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Wow, search is extreemly fast, way to go SmugSorcerers.
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Yes, it's working great. Just keep it like that now! :D
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Wow...a lot faster.
    Returned a search for one of my keywords in less than 4 seconds: 17438 - images, 127 galleries
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Mark - try again now pls :)

Excellent results!!

Thank you.
    Mark
    Mark