Options

Naive question about protecting photos

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 21, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I am not html, computer or technically literate, so please forgive my ignorance and provide a techieless answer if you possibly can!:huh :huh

I have right click protected my galleries, only made mediums available, but have not turned off sharing capabilities. People to whom I am trying to sell photos to have recently:
created a whole dvd from all of the photos in the galleries - simply by dragging and dropping?????:scratch (and then gave it to me as an example of what I should try to sell!)
printed a beautiful 8 x 10 and asked how to make it bigger
tried printing an 8 x 10 and asked why they could only print 3 x 5

So what do I need to do so that these folks cannot help themselves to these photos?

ann

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Put uo the proof thing. Short of that, there is nothing you can do (whever you view a photo on a website, that photo is on your computer. The purpose of orignal/large block means that only the medium photo will be on their computer, and the right click protection is to make it so only moderately computer savy people can do it. So you have no choice, but the proof thing, which is why I really want custom proofs.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    D'OH! I just remembered, the proof thing (it's actually called watermarking btw), doesn't work on medium and small photos...so there's nothing you can do, short of making it so people have to buy photos through you, then you put your own watermark on all your photos, then when someone orders a photo you, having kept the unwatermarked photos, go an make prints.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    D'OH! I just remembered, the proof thing (it's actually called watermarking btw), doesn't work on medium and small photos...so there's nothing you can do, short of making it so people have to buy photos through you, then you put your own watermark on all your photos, then when someone orders a photo you, having kept the unwatermarked photos, go an make prints.
    Richard
    Wow, I'm just full of mistakes today. Watermark will work on medium photos, so just do that.
    Richard