Options

Help Please

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited March 27, 2007 in Technique
Trying to take some photos of a sax we had around the house. Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    It's all about the light
    The hard light used here is a bit brash and takes away from the instrument. A contrasty shot is nice but there are some blown out (overexposed) areas that distract from the subject. Check your histogram while shooting and bring the ev down a bit as you can bring up what areas you want in post (another forum..sorry David rolleyes1.gif).

Reshoot it using softer light.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Dave,
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Trying to take some photos of a sax we had around the house. Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

While I mostly concur with what Swartzy said, I wanted to ask you what were you trying to achieve? Help can be so much more effective if we knew that...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    I agree with Nikolai and Swartzy - if you are looking for a documentary type pic - "here's a sax", then you need softer light and probably a tidier (maybe darker) background.

If you want to show off the sax, I'd go for a more abstract composition - use a closer view and follow the curves. Show the mechanics of the valves and play with DOF a bit.

It looks like a great instrument to do a study of!

Matthew

PS - I hope you don't mind me posting this image but this is the kind of view I was thinking of. Some will hate it, some might not... It's a picture of the soundbox and arm on an old portable gramaphone, I prefer this to some other shots I did that show the whole box.

131822366-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    Thank's everyone,

I see what you mean, Swartzy, about the overexposed areas. I'm going to reshoot with a softer light and see how it looks.

Nikolai, I'm not really sure. As a learning experience, I would like to end up with a series of photos of the sax. As Matthew suggested, sort of a photographic study of the instrument. It would help me learn more about composition and lighting. For example, the shot that Matthew posted here would be interesting to try and recreate with my sax.

I started with this shot of the entire instrument, although did start trying to isolate interesting parts in other shots. Not real happy with any results yet, but, I'm having a BLAST trying!:D

I'll post the next try at this shot when I get it done later in the week. Have to help with a kids theatre production today.

I really appreciate your help.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:

Thanks

Reflective objects can be very difficult to shoot. I would recommend using some type of soft box / diffuser for your lights. I also think you need more than one light.

I would get the background well behind the sax. Consider hanging the sax from a monofilament line. How about a black background? You may even think about cross polarization, although that’s a little more difficult.

Looks like a great project. Have fun.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    You may even think about cross polarization, although that’s a little more difficult.
    Thanks for the tips Sam. What is cross polarization?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Thanks for the tips Sam. What is cross polarization?

Cross polarization is when you get a polarizing gel for the strobe lights, and use a polarizing filter the camera.

I have yet to try it, but one can become dangerous after a little riding on the Internet. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Another try
    Following are two more shots, both with different lighting. And with a little editing. Are these are any better?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Different light
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    The first 2
    that you shot without the focused light is much more appealing. Now, if you could get a background to compliment the sax, you'd have it. A few ways to accomplish this: Use a black background with no wrinkles, suspend the sax using fishing line having the backdrop well behind the horn. Focus the lighting on the sax allowing it to be dark behind...shoot it from different angles. Another idea is to lay the horn on a wrinkless backdrop and model the light in such a way, the keys are prominent.

Lighting a reflective subject is quite tricky but with patience and moving the lights around, using diffusers, bounces, umbrellas.....shoot, hang a shower curtain in front of your light source (preferrably not some bizzare colored fish one rolleyes1.gif). For still objects such as this, I prefer using studio type lights that are on the whole time....helps you see what you'll get through the viewfinder pretty easily.

Hope this makes sense.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    How does this look to you.
    I've never owned a sax, so I'm not sure of the colors, I'm kind of guessing.

138958870-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    OK, sorry but had to try
    This is a bit radical but thought it fun to make it shine! I'll remove it if you want.

My take

138964290-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Wow, those are awesome!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try and isolate it from the background and see how it turns out. Thanks for all your help!

And I'll try to find a shower curtain without the colored fish ... hmmm maybe it would make for some interesting lighting though!