Options

After sundown afterglow in the sky

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited January 22, 2005 in Wildlife
The sun had set, but I had my tripod. I started taking photos at 5:28. We had been watching it on our way home trying to predict if it would be a "good" one or a boring one. It had been hazy, but there were cloud layers in the sky. Hubby was doubtful, but I wasn't ready to end the day quite yet.

DSC09879w.jpg

I was about to give up when it started turning pink at 5:35
DSC09885w.jpg

I rushed to get the tripod set up with my eye on the sky all the time. Talk about something seeming to take forever.... but here is an overview at 5:38
DSC09898w.jpg

Starting to fade at 5:41
DSC09909w.jpg

And I called it quits at 5:43 when the red rosy tones started to fade back to gray.
DSC09917w.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Love the pictures. Were did you take them? Over by the gate? Awsome shoots would love to take the wife there. :( My camera is in Hawaii right not for 2 weeks.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    I love the way those rocks go in there and all. I was out last night, too. Took sunset photos, as it was setting mostly. I didn't have my tripod. I quit shooting at 6:05, looked at my watch. It was too dark then anyway. I was trying for a bird that even I couldn't see any more in the dark.

I was at a creek, with the shrimp boats, I like your ocean better. I haven't been there for awhile. I need a break from the creek, my photos seemed really bad to me.

Yours are great!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    Rockaway Beach
    Love the pictures. Were did you take them? Over by the gate? Awsome shoots would love to take the wife there. :( My camera is in Hawaii right not for 2 weeks.

Along the coast in Pacifica. This was taken from the parking lot north of the Lighthouse Hotel. The parking lot that we call the "surfers" parking lot is your first left as you turn in to Rockaway. To hit the lighthouse beach take either the first or second right, then make a left. You can't miss it.

The Rockaway area has been slowly building up the last 5 years. There are some antique shops, some craft shops, hotels, restaurants, a diner, coffee house, etc. Parking is free. Although you shouldn't you can also drive straight down the short street and park in Nicks' parking lot which fronts the ocean (hotel and restaurant guests only, says the sign).

Here's a link to an overview of the area:Lighthouse Hotel

You can do a search for Rockaway Beach Ave, Pacifica on Yahoo Maps or Mapquest for directions. The parking lot I took the photos from is on San Marlo Way.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    I want to be there!

5:35 and 5:41 are my fav's!

So relaxing and peaceful - can almost hear the water!
    ann
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    I like the second one dee.. very soft and yes.. I can hear the sea as well :D
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Hey Dee,

Very nice captures. I love sunset/sunrise beach shots. They always give me that peaceful laid back feeling. Of course I have that feeling constantly since i retired but the shots do help. rolleyes1.gif

Its amazing how rapidly the light changes ta those times of the day. You did a great job on those pics. thumb.gif

harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 22, 2005
    Nice set!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,747 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    After sunset
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love the way those rocks go in there and all. I was out last night, too. Took sunset photos, as it was setting mostly. I didn't have my tripod. I quit shooting at 6:05, looked at my watch. It was too dark then anyway. I was trying for a bird that even I couldn't see any more in the dark.

I was at a creek, with the shrimp boats, I like your ocean better. I haven't been there for awhile. I need a break from the creek, my photos seemed really bad to me.

Yours are great!

ginger

This spot is 5 minutes from my house. I can get to water quicker, about 2-3 minutes but like Rockaway Beach better. We go there so often I sometimes feel bored, but I can put the rocks in to break up the sky water routine. I can look north or south and depending on the time of the year (where the sun sets) will determine which way I point the camera.

I never know from day to day what the waves will be like, or what the sunset will be like. I try to shoot as many as I can, for once the summer is here it will be rare to see a sunset due to the fog, and we won't have lovely clouds to pick up different colors.

Unfortunately at our local harbor the sun sets behind a hill!

It's easy to get bored with one spot and that's when you either have to really force yourself to remember what attracted you the first time you saw the area, or take a break and find another spot for a month or two.

I loved your shrimp boat reflection!
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Relaxing?
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I want to be there!

5:35 and 5:41 are my fav's!

So relaxing and peaceful - can almost hear the water!
    ann

I was clicking away so hard I had to enjoy it vicariously! rolleyes1.gif

But the light was incredible. I've got to get a remote release! Then I could enjoy the sunset and just press a little button with the camera on the tripod.

Of course that means I couldn't change my zoom or direction.... hmmmmm.... well I still need the remote anyway!

The colors were unreal. I told Ed no one would believe they were real and he replied the horizon looked like a bad photoshop selection! Laughing.gif

What I enjoy is seeing the guests at the hotel out on their balconies with their cameras!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    wow you really caught some nice sky color, and i just totally dig the pink reflections in the wavelets :D

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Crashing waves
    lynnma wrote:
    I like the second one dee.. very soft and yes.. I can hear the sea as well :D

Thanks Lynn. When I first moved out here I'd drag the video camera to the beach and tape the waves then send the tapes to my friends back east, they found them very restful.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Thanks Harry
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Dee,

Very nice captures. I love sunset/sunrise beach shots. They always give me that peaceful laid back feeling. Of course I have that feeling constantly since i retired but the shots do help. rolleyes1.gif

Its amazing how rapidly the light changes ta those times of the day. You did a great job on those pics. thumb.gif

harry

Where we live right now we have these tall hills behind us, so we don't see the sunrise. I'd have to drive "over the hill" as the locals call leaving the coast side.... then I can see the sun rise over the airport rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, it's just another excuse not to get up early! :D

I enjoy your sunrise shots -- and the bird shots get better and better.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Pink Waves
    andy wrote:
    wow you really caught some nice sky color, and i just totally dig the pink reflections in the wavelets :D

clap.gif

Yes, that is the coolest thing. I constantly watch for either the pink, red or gold to show up between the waves, and to reflect off the wet sand it seems to really add another dimension.

Reminds me of when we attended a friend's wedding and we went to Pacific Grove and saw this fantastic, unbelievable red sunset. The water was red too!

It was incredible! Breath taking -- can't think of the words to describe it, it was mild (not freezing with fog or biting winds) and I never wanted that sunset to end...
  • Options
    HELLWRECKIN_JESUSFREAKHELLWRECKIN_JESUSFREAK Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Keep On Chasing The Sky
    I love to take pics like that.. I sat for over an hour yesterday waiting on the sun to start setting only for some really thick black clouds to set in .. didnt make for very good pic taking.. and not to mention I was about 12 miles from home.. and when I drove up in my drive and looked towards my back yard there was the shot to be taken..and I missed it... should of stayed home.. lol
    .. you did a good job on your pics....keep on chasing the skyclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    vicki ---HELLWRECKIN_JESUSFREAK
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Thanks Vicki
    I love to take pics like that.. I sat for over an hour yesterday waiting on the sun to start setting only for some really thick black clouds to set in .. didnt make for very good pic taking.. and not to mention I was about 12 miles from home.. and when I drove up in my drive and looked towards my back yard there was the shot to be taken..and I missed it... should of stayed home.. lol
    .. you did a good job on your pics....keep on chasing the skyclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    vicki ---HELLWRECKIN_JESUSFREAK

I turned around and the sky to the east was really pretty too, but it wouldn't have photographed well. The moon was up too so it was really tempting, moon and blue sky, band of rosy reflection, then the brown hill with the marsh reeds in front... and the parking lot and the fence! Grrrr....
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    this morning's sunrise in new york
    dee,

we're presently getting the beginnings of what's supposed to be about two feet of snow here :D .. but you'd never have known it was coming, i got up early this morning to futz with my new powermac, and as i was making my latte in the kitchen, the most beautiful pink glow surrounded the house. a gorgeous sunset, with lots of low cirrus clouds to reflect the rising sun and it's colors, first red, then pink, then gradually yellow.

it was a sight to see. i recall it vividly and i didn't even take a photograph ....
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Snow in NY
    andy wrote:
    dee,

we're presently getting the beginnings of what's supposed to be about two feet of snow here :D .. but you'd never have known it was coming, i got up early this morning to futz with my new powermac, and as i was making my latte in the kitchen, the most beautiful pink glow surrounded the house. a gorgeous sunset, with lots of low cirrus clouds to reflect the rising sun and it's colors, first red, then pink, then gradually yellow.

it was a sight to see. i recall it vividly and i didn't even take a photograph ....

Yeah, sometimes you just have to embrace and enjoy -- enriches our souls as photographers and artists, right?

My mom lives out on the island so I worry about her when I hear things like 2 feet of snow. She does say that sometimes it's bad in NJ/NY but bypasses the island. I'll have to check some island cams...

You got the whole weekend to play with your new toy? mwink.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Dee wrote:

You got the whole weekend to play with your new toy? mwink.gifmwink.gif

yup. nancy went out this morning and got food and movies, some new games for trev and i loaded up the firewood in the house, and we're tucked in for the next 36 hours or so, i'd imagine :D
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    great colors Dee...unusualy for you to even get the chance. like 2 and 4 the best. hope that stuff keeps happening for you